• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hummingbird observed in oz (1 Viewer)

By the way. The Rufous would be more likely - island hopping from Alaska to Asia then coming across continent. These birds are notorious for migrating "off the traditional route".
Rufous has already made it to Asia. The new 'Birds of East Asia' includes it, saying spring overshoots reach as far as the Chukotski Peninsular in Russia.
However, I still find the idea of one migrating down to Oz a bit beyond reality.

Tom

Hummingbirds & Honeyeaters.

Hi, Just found your sight today and joined up. Living in the Tweed shire on acreage in the rainforest and Yesterday saw a tiny 'hummingbird-like' bird around the birdbath and feeder harrasing two other types of honeyeater (australian hummingbirds basically) and the yellow robbins we get more regularly. Australia does not have any recognised honeyeaters as any of our birds that would fall into this categorie are large and have more robust physiology. This feisty little bird closely matches the description from wolfgang and others though is closer to six cm in size. It's the first time I have seen this type of honeyeater and we have been closely watching for new bird species in our area since we started work on turning the property into a wildlife sanctuary, it was one of two new types we saw yesterday and for a while thought the grey one was a juvenile of the larger pair but it started trying to chase them away too. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of it but will keep an eye out as I'm sure it will be back at some point, I'll try and take some images to share then. Hope this is vaguely helpful.

Yesterday saw a tiny 'hummingbird-like' bird around the birdbath and feeder harrasing two other types of honeyeater (australian hummingbirds basically) and the yellow robbins we get more regularly.
There is a simple answer folks. It is called a photograph.

Plan to get one when the bird next decides to pose for one. In the meantime have identified the bird I saw and described, it's a brown honeyeater. Fortunately I have an ornithologist living down the street and she comes over and helps me identify them without photographs.

Last edited:
For all those Australian hummingbirds, remember that a lot of honeyeaters are small and can briefly hover in front of flowers. I observed Eastern Spinebills do this multiple times in front of flower bushes.

Carlos

I live on a five acre rainforest block and this evening whilst I was sat with my dog ( I was pondering weather or not to poison the copious amount weeds I have following the wet season or leave them for the butterflies) I heard a loud buzz pass my ear, I immediately thought mud wasp! but no! it was a tiny hummingbird. It was very dark and only 30 - 40mm in size. It had a definite beak and was flitting between some daisy looking things.

The smallest known bird in the world is the bee hummingbird of Cuba. It is 50mm in length. What you saw had six legs and antenae. It was a well known moth.

Again, if I am mistaken the easiest way to demonstrat it is to take a photo. Both hummingbirds, and the hummingbird moth are amazingly easy to photograph.

I live on a five acre rainforest block and this evening whilst I was sat with my dog ( I was pondering weather or not to poison the copious amount weeds I have following the wet season or leave them for the butterflies) I heard a loud buzz pass my ear, I immediately thought mud wasp! but no! it was a tiny hummingbird. It was very dark and only 30 - 40mm in size. It had a definite beak and was flitting between some daisy looking things.
Could you ask it to come back any day other than April Fool's Day?:t:

About 10 years ago I was living north of rockhampton and I had observed on numerous times what I thought were moths. One day I found one trapped in the house and I caught it and I was suprised to see it was a bird. I never realised there were apparently no hummingbirds in oz until I tried to find them in the bird book then googled them and well here I am. Now I'm no authority on birds but this one was around 4-5 cm in length and was grey but it had feathers, a beak, little eyes that looked at you and two legs and wings. After realising they were birds I observed them for a number of years in the same spot. So for anyone saying they are not in oz then maybe they should do a little more research in the field.

At 4-5cm, it would be a contender for the world's smallest bird as Bee Hummingbirds from Cuba are 5cm in length.

You should take a photo to document it. As you may know, no birders, ornithologists, and amateur naturalists who spend years to decades out in the field in Australia have ever been able to document an Australian hummingbird.

Carlos

Last edited:
Yes a shot of them would be nice, unfortunately I live a long way from there now. I get down there occasionally so if I see one I'll be sure to get a shot. I will say they always were in pairs.

Probably a female sunbird....size is a nightmare to guestimate accurately. There are still NO hummers in Oz ;)

Last edited:
My statement was a little tongue-in-cheek, guys. Can't we have a little fun with the guests? ;)

The fact that they 'always were in pairs' screams non-hummingbird. Eastern Spinebills tend to like hanging out in pairs. They sometimes even pretend to be hummingbirds by briefly hovering in front of flowers! Scarlet Myzomelas are another great candidate.

Carlos

Beno Hi'

If I were you, I would.....based on your last post! do whatever is necessary, to back up your description with photographic evidence. As an affirmative would certainly 'rock'
the birding world.

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back