• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Black Victory 8x25 (1 Viewer)

I also see a green colour cast in my Victory 8x25 (and the Conquest 8x32). It is most noticable looking at an overcast sky. To my eyes it is more 'off' the colours I see with my naked eyes than a Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD or a Nikon 8x30 E2.

Very capable little bins though.

George

Maybe my blogging about the pockets is schizoid because they provide very different experiences depending on use case and expectations.

Previously I was using the Pockets as walkaround EDC glass in Paris. Now I've been out in the country watching the birds perch on top of the cedar trees in our garden, watching them eat the bird seed I scatter, and between hours of computer use at night going out in the summer cool and looking at the night sky. Before I got my Leica glass, I totally ignored the birds, now I find I feel better for watching them.

The Zeiss Pocket is pretty good, although one can find faults. I would prefer 5mm longer eyecup extension , even more sharpness no color cast, but all of that will be left for the next model revision, I guess. Zeiss are welcome to send me a prototype if they want a picky reviewer :)

If you need a bino that shows you what's there and can go in a pocket, bag or belt clip - at age 60+ I'm the first to say go for it, the Pockets pack a strong punch in a small package with good ergonomics. But if you want to spend half an hour viewing the gulls circling over a cliff, which I did a month ago in Portugal, or spend half an hour each day watching the birds in your garden, more than just a glance, or look at the night sky then you would do well to realize that you HAVE TO pay an admission price IN SIZE AND IN WEIGHT for the experiential pleasure provided by the larger instrument.

And in the same way, I guess if you want an EDC instrument that goes everywhere every day and brings objects closer, then you HAVE TO pay for that convenience and portability in ease of view, quick eye tiredness, and lessened ability to see into the dark areas. There just is no substitute for objective and exit pupil size. A swiss army knife is not a 30 pound repair toolkit.

There's an old joke that says you get what you pay for - in the case of the Pocket Victory buyers would do well to notice that they are paying about 40% of the price of an 8x42 SF.

Btw, I don't know if it's relevant, but when I pass the Pockets to her to look at a bird she says "these are so tiring", and when I pick up the 7x42 Leica UV HD, I now notice they ... sparkle.

Edmund

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back