• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A useful tool for optics fans I wish existed (1 Viewer)

BryanP

Little known member
Canada
Hi,
Here's a cool website that I've been visiting for years.
https://camerasize.com

Perhaps folks in the binocular/scope forums are aware of it and for those who aren't, as the sites name suggests it's an interactive camera size comparison site. It allows you to pick camera models and compare sizes and it's understandably popular amongst the camera geek crowd.

It would be great to have something similar dedicated to binoculars and dare I dream, even scopes. Yes, currently I stare at the binocular comparison photos people post here (thanks Chuck and all) and yes I read the specs, get out the tape measure and do little 1:1 drawings but an interactive comparison tool would way more fun and imediate.

I've dropped a line to the developer/owner of the website with a suggestion he consider including binoculars. He has his software and website templates set up and active, all he would have to do is input binocular images and measurements instead of cameras. Its way more complicated than that of course but I await his reply nonetheless.

My dance card is full these days otherwise I'd jump on this right now if he declines. Maybe one of the vaunted optics review sites?
Any thoughts? Is this something people would use or is it just me?

Cheers,
Bryan

Lee, currently the camera size site has the specs, measurements, weight and percentage differences shown for each camera compared. Should be doable for binoculars.

I also like that different views, side, front and top can be chosen.
Cheers,
Bryan

“What, now I have to build a baseball field?” He says in his best Ukrainian grandmother voice ;-)

“What, now I have to build a baseball field?” He says in his best Ukrainian grandmother voice ;-)

Bryan,

I’d suggest you forget about the baseball field ;) and stick with your neotropic bird project (WOW, the work you are doing there is truly amazing and fascinating, beautiful stuff!!!!)

Canip

Bryan,

I’d suggest you forget about the baseball field ;) and stick with your neotropic bird project (WOW, the work you are doing there is truly amazing and fascinating, beautiful stuff!!!!)

Canip

Canip,

Wow! thank you for the kind words (blushes). Since you ask ;) The first book, 101+ Common Birds of Costa Rica has been getting good reviews so thats encouraging. We're now more than half way through the next book whose working title is The Regional Endemics of Central America so things are heating up nicely. My dream project though is The Hummingbirds of Central America but don't tell my team members, I haven't sprung that one on them yet.

Its an all consuming self funded project which is why magic baseball fields and fancy binocular size websites are out.

Still, an interactive binocular size (and weight) tool would be a great addition to a retailers or reviewers website. I think significant traffic could be generated to the website that had that asset in its quiver. I know I'd be haunting that mythical website regularly.

Cheers,
Bryan

A more frivolous, crowdsourcable thing that would be great is a binocular version of this http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

Haha! All my props friends would love that website, they probably already know about it though being the avid collectors of knowledge they tend to be.
That would be a good all in one place resource model. Take a fair bit of work to set up though, more than a weekend me thinks ;-)
Cheers,
Bryan

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back