• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (1 Viewer)

Just want to say thanks Ratal for this post. Did this walk today and saw three crested tits and stunning pair of redstarts. Could not believe how many goldcrests and tree pints we saw too. No capers but not complaining!

My pleasure indeed. Happy to help.

On an aside - Great Northern Diver with chicks off Cape Wrath was my birdinv highlight last week. Durness bay had so many Red and Black throats in occupance it was almost comical.

My pleasure indeed. Happy to help.

On an aside - Great Northern Diver with chicks off Cape Wrath was my birdinv highlight last week. Durness bay had so many Red and Black throats in occupance it was almost comical.

? Great Northern Diver would be an extremely rare breeder in the UK.....are you sure it was with chicks on the sea? They breed on inland freshwater lakes usually.

Last edited:
I was up in Caithness and Sutherland for a week the 3rd week of June and saw a Hobby only around 15 miles from the north coast. I knew Hobby were moving further and further north but was surprised so far north. The estate where I saw it has some stands of trees which will help. Anyone else seen then so far up? I've reported the sighting and exact location to the Scottish Raptor Study Group, but got no feedback as yet. Obviously not putting exact location on the forum.

@ Jpoyner - Yes, GND pair of adults took turns to play piggy back whilst the other dived for food. Chicks pure black.

@ John Eaton. Yes. Inverness & Glen Affric way. Plenty of food for them too.

Thanks Ratal, but I saw one around 80 miles north of Inverness - as I said only around 15 miles from the north coast, and totally different habitat.

Might be worth contacting RSPB about the GN Divers as it is indeed a very rare sighting. See this from last year http://www.northern-times.co.uk/News/Excitement-over-siting-of-rare-birds-03092012.htm

Certainly send record to the Highland recorder if not done already. Details here: Amazing sighting!!!

http://www.the-soc.org.uk/bird-recording/local-recorders-network/highland-recording-area/

John, I may well have seen your Hobby too,only I saw a pair of them. These 2 were on an estate in NW Sutherland,got quite a surprise myself as I have only seen Buzzards and Eagles in this area before.

I have seen Peregrines at Faraid Head on numerous occasions and know where their lair is,these were definately Hobby's and in an area that I have not even seen Kestrel's before.

New chapters of Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands now available for anyone to check including

Upper Deeside

North-east Aberdeenshire

There is too much text for a pm so you will need to email me at

gordon dot hamlett at btinternet dot com

Thanks again for all those who have helped so far

Cheers

Gordon

New chapters now available if anyone is interested - see above for contact details

Perthshire

Loch Fleet and the Fearn peninsula

Cheers

Gordon

I will be going across to the Outer Hebrides in mid September, mainly the Uists and Berneray. Are there any particularly good areas for birdwatching. I am still very much a novice so I am not fussed as to what birds I see, as long as I can see a good varietty

I will be going across to the Outer Hebrides in mid September, mainly the Uists and Berneray. Are there any particularly good areas for birdwatching. I am still very much a novice so I am not fussed as to what birds I see, as long as I can see a good varietty

http://www.western-isles-wildlife.c...ings in the western isles, outer hebrides.htm

Seriously, you going to see so much it'll boggle your brain. here is the link to the September sightings page. Loch Druidibeag National Reserve is a MUST though - South Uist - cannot miss the directions. I saw Golden Eagle, Hen Harrier, Merlin and Skua in a four hour sitting. It was one of my best birding visits by far.

http://www.western-isles-wildlife.com/bird_and_wildlife_sightings_september_2012.htm

Some monster vagrants, loads of passage across the islands, and most of all, damn you lucky man. I have an envy. Brilliant time to go.

Hi Ratal

Thanks for the links. Loch Druibeg I have been to before but it is a fairly large area. Can you recommend any particular part or is it just a case of parking up and walking around

Talmine

We are taking a break up at Talmine near to Kyle of Tongue soon any suggestions for good spots for bird watching would be appreciated as we have never been in that region before.

Thanks Yorkie

We are taking a break up at Talmine near to Kyle of Tongue soon any suggestions for good spots for bird watching would be appreciated as we have never been in that region before.

Thanks Yorkie

Hi Yorkie. I'm extremely jealous. Off Talmine itself a quick look in May gave Sandwich Terns, Gannets, Guillemots and Bonxie. Hoodies were near The Tongue Hotel and RTD's on the Kyle of Tongue. Our time in the area was very limited.

Good luck:t:

Rich

It's certainly a lovely area, but I've only been in spring/early summer.

You might be able to pick up some ideas from this old thread. Also, have a look in Opus, there's a few articles for the northern part of Scotland and there's some links included in them too.

I love it up there.

Talmine

It's certainly a lovely area, but I've only been in spring/early summer.

You might be able to pick up some ideas from this old thread. Also, have a look in Opus, there's a few articles for the northern part of Scotland and there's some links included in them too.

I love it up there.

Cheers Delia and Rich for your input we are keeping our fingers crossed for fine weather...!

Thanks Yorkie

Seawatching should be good - try Strathy Point - also good for cetaceans

Young Eagles on the wing - try the minor road east of Loch Eriboll past Ben Hope

Increase in sea duck plus wintering divers try Loch Eriboll and Dunnet Bay.

Migrants could turn up anywhere along the coast. My choice would be Dunnet Head area including the hide at St John's Loch which has a great record for rarities - see their website.

Kyle of Tongue itself for passage waders - explore the minor road that goes round the Kyle, plus two car parks along the causeway itself

HTH

Gordon

Thank you Gordon for the info we are looking forward to Sat 7th with plenty of places to visit now and some good walking also.

Yorkie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back