• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (4 Viewers)

Hi

Thanks for responding to my post Jpoyner and earthdragon64.

I wasn't sure how much snow was on the mountains so thanks for letting me know, I have climbed a few of these mountains during the milder school holidays(April, July and October) but never while there was any significant amount of snow. I presume the birds will be in and around the corries which will be fairly safe and its not worth the risk climbing to the high tops if there is lots of snow up there. I will need to remember to take seed or bread crumbs for the buntings.

Also thanks earthdragon for the webcam idea, would never have thought to look at it.

Depends on weather conditions, snow cover and avalanche risk in the corries for them to be "fairly safe".....Ski area is the probably the safest...plenty of Ptarm around the slopes usually.

Sorry if I'm asking the most obvious question in this thread but I am coming up for the weekend and will hopefully take in the Coot. I still need to see Ptarmigan and have been told that they can be seen up round the car park at Cairngorm. I just wondered how accessible and safe this was. I'm not unfit but I'm not a mountain climber either. Also where to look ?

Thanks for all your tips guys, absolutely buzzing, at the moment I am eating, sleeping, drinking the Hebridies, I've wanted to go for so long and actually thought I'd never go, it's actually a treat of the wife, however I will probably have to be on hand to cater her every whim for the rest of my life, but hey it's the Hebridies.

Damian.

Sorry if I'm asking the most obvious question in this thread but I am coming up for the weekend and will hopefully take in the Coot. I still need to see Ptarmigan and have been told that they can be seen up round the car park at Cairngorm. I just wondered how accessible and safe this was. I'm not unfit but I'm not a mountain climber either. Also where to look ?

I going to be honest here - conditions at car park are brutal right now. There is a lot of snow, and to go onto the mountain itself is going to take a lot of skill if on foot.

Think Crampons, stiff boots and ice axe type terrain. Also, the static temp is around minus 3degrees c, but a stiff winds whipping it down further into the minus 10 area.

Go up, have a scope from the car park, go up the funicular to ptarmigan centre and have a look off the deck even. However, when the weathers like this proper mountain insulation is needed for a long stint on a scope.

I going to be honest here - conditions at car park are brutal right now. There is a lot of snow, and to go onto the mountain itself is going to take a lot of skill if on foot.

Think Crampons, stiff boots and ice axe type terrain. Also, the static temp is around minus 3degrees c, but a stiff winds whipping it down further into the minus 10 area.

Go up, have a scope from the car park, go up the funicular to ptarmigan centre and have a look off the deck even. However, when the weathers like this proper mountain insulation is needed for a long stint on a scope.

Considerable avalanche risk issued today also, good advice above!

Thanks for all your tips guys, absolutely buzzing, at the moment I am eating, sleeping, drinking the Hebridies, I've wanted to go for so long and actually thought I'd never go, it's actually a treat of the wife, however I will probably have to be on hand to cater her every whim for the rest of my life, but hey it's the Hebridies.

Damian.

Hi Damian

Which 2 weeks in May will you be on the Uists as I along with my uncle and cousin will be there for our annual fix of Hebridean birding arriving on Saturday 17th May for 1 week. You have every right to be buzzing ,I know i am at the moment and we have been coming here annually for the past 15 years. The great thing is apart from some stunning scenery you will definitely see some cracking birds like Golden Eagle, WT Eagle, all 3 divers, Hen Harrier Short Eared Owl, Corncrake plus large numbers of Dunlin, Redshank, Snipe etc.
If the weather conditions are right you also stand the chance of seeing all 4 skuas ( last year had record numbers of long tailed skuas going through ) and the added excitement of something different being found. Last May we had the Snowy Owl returned , Harlequin duck returned . Short toed lark and in all of our previous visits we have always had at least 1 new tick for our Uists list.
There are too many places to list on here where you should visit but I echo Ratal and say Loch druidibeg,also North Locheynort on South Uist Then Balranald and the Committee road on North Uist all brilliant place for birding.

We always stay on North Uist and travel about so if you are there at the same time our paths may cross . If you want to pm me for any info I will be happy to reply.

Regards

Dave

Hi everyone ,

I have just moved up to drumnadrochit and looking for any tips on where to go for bird hides or sites close by any advice would be great also can anyone pm me info for owls locally. Many thanks to Ian from the red kite RSPB site had a great afternoon and great company.

Many thanks

Craig & Jules

Hi everyone ,

I have just moved up to drumnadrochit and looking for any tips on where to go for bird hides or sites close by any advice would be great also can anyone pm me info for owls locally. Many thanks to Ian from the red kite RSPB site had a great afternoon and great company.

Many thanks

Craig & Jules

Hi folks - how 'close by' is 'close by'. is it short walk, short drive or are you on public transport? like sea watching and waders? Grebes? because there is so many variables its a bit difficult to say 'here is good, here is great' without knowing how you plan to get about.

Hi everyone ,

Many thanks

Craig & Jules

Hi guys,

Immediately west of Drum, is the A831, and this will give you easy access to Corrimony RSPB and the three glens, Affric, Cannich and Strathfarrar. Between them, you should find crested tits, golden eagles, assorted grouse etc.

There is a lovely little community reserve at Abriachan to the north, complete with a hide. Access is from the car park just west of Loch Laide.

Further north is the Beauly Firth and the Black Isle, complete with red kites (all over), bottlenose dolphins and seabirds at chanonry Point, woodland birds at Fairy Glen RSPB and wildfowl and waders at Udale Bay RSPB.

There is a new edition of a book on the Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands due out next month which has full details of all these and many other sites. Modesty prevents me from telling you who the author is ;);););)

HTH

Gordon

Hi everyone ,

Many thanks

Craig & Jules

I would also add Blackfold nearby is one of my favourite places to visit. Crested Tit, Redstart and a Black Grouse lek.

I'm going to Strathpeffer in June for a week and I wondering is there any where close by (short drive or walk) that I could see Crested Tit and maybe Grebes in their summer plumage.
Down here in the North-east of England I usually only see Grebes during winter when they aren't so striking (apart from Little and Great Crested Grebes;)).

I would also add Blackfold nearby is one of my favourite places to visit. Crested Tit, Redstart and a Black Grouse lek.

Many thanks for your info guys I like searching for raptors and small woodland birds as well as waders, we intend to remain within a 30 mile radius but we will maybe travel 2hrs away once a month, we would love to find a place to see otters, any info would be great.......on an amazing note we have 2 pine martins visiting every evening get it :clap:

Many thanks for your info guys I like searching for raptors and small woodland birds as well as waders, we intend to remain within a 30 mile radius but we will maybe travel 2hrs away once a month, we would love to find a place to see otters, any info would be great.......on an amazing note we have 2 pine martins visiting every evening get it :clap:

er.... do you do B&B Craig?;)

I'm going to Strathpeffer in June for a week and I wondering is there any where close by (short drive or walk) that I could see Crested Tit and maybe Grebes in their summer plumage.
Down here in the North-east of England I usually only see Grebes during winter when they aren't so striking (apart from Little and Great Crested Grebes;)).

Hi shaggy, I have just moved south of inverness and will be visiting many places over next few weeks so I will pm you anything I find out for you, by the way I used to live near you and I,m sure you gave me advice near Houghton ?..
Craig & Jules

Hi guys,

Immediately west of Drum, is the A831, and this will give you easy access to Corrimony RSPB and the three glens, Affric, Cannich and Strathfarrar. Between them, you should find crested tits, golden eagles, assorted grouse etc.

There is a lovely little community reserve at Abriachan to the north, complete with a hide. Access is from the car park just west of Loch Laide.

Further north is the Beauly Firth and the Black Isle, complete with red kites (all over), bottlenose dolphins and seabirds at chanonry Point, woodland birds at Fairy Glen RSPB and wildfowl and waders at Udale Bay RSPB.

There is a new edition of a book on the Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands due out next month which has full details of all these and many other sites. Modesty prevents me from telling you who the author is ;);););)

HTH

Gordon
Great info Gordon many many thanks

Craig & Jules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back