• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (2 Viewers)

harry eales said:
Oh my God, Chris,
I've opened another can of worms. I had forgotten about Ken. Still he can take them to the author of the book for ID if he gets problems sorting them out.

Ken, if you read this, I only do ID's on Shieldbugs, all the other Homoptera/Hemiptera critters you'll have to take elsewhere.

Don't worry, Harry, I don't photograph that many insects and my moth county recorder seems to be quite a whiz on all sorts of insects.
Ken

Surreybirder said:
Don't worry, Harry, I don't photograph that many insects and my moth county recorder seems to be quite a whiz on all sorts of insects.
Ken

Hello Ken,
You took your time replying to that post, it was put up on the 31st of May. :h?:

Never mind, better late than never, eh? I have found it pleasing that so many people have taken the time to photograph these creatures and 'post' them for ID.

It is interesting to note the parallels in the changes of distribution of Shieldbugs with those of the Lepidoptera. Some species are expanding their range quite rapidly, whilst others are in decline.

Hopefully even more people will start taking and interest in Shieldbugs now there are some recent publications illustrating them.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello Ken,
You took your time replying to that post, it was put up on the 31st of May. :h?:

Never mind, better late than never, eh? I have found it pleasing that so many people have taken the time to photograph these creatures and 'post' them for ID.

It is interesting to note the parallels in the changes of distribution of Shieldbugs with those of the Lepidoptera. Some species are expanding their range quite rapidly, whilst others are in decline.

Hopefully even more people will start taking and interest in Shieldbugs now there are some recent publications illustrating them.

Harry
It was only when Steve Covey told me that he was posting pix to this thread that I read it... and discovered that my name was being taken in vain.
It's pleasing to know that the Surrey shieldbug atlas is so good. The series of county atlases being published by the Surrey Wildlife Trust is really excellent. I've only got dragonflies and larger moths, but I'm looking forward to the microleps. There are also volumes on frogs and things, 'hoppers, hovers and butties (which is also excellent) and ladybirds. I've not seen the shieldbug one. I have to admit that I've not noticed many shieldbugs but you never know, I might get my eye in one of these days.
Ken

Hi Harry-are there any aquatic shield bugs ?. A few weeks ago I went pond dipping with my grandchildren . The location was Lizard peninsula , in a pond created about two years ago . They found a "shield shaped" bug-black with a yellow border to the lower-pointed end -of the shield . I don't have a photo I am afraid .
Thanks
Colin

Surreybirder said:
It was only when Steve Covey told me that he was posting pix to this thread that I read it... and discovered that my name was being taken in vain.
It's pleasing to know that the Surrey shieldbug atlas is so good. The series of county atlases being published by the Surrey Wildlife Trust is really excellent. I've only got dragonflies and larger moths, but I'm looking forward to the microleps. There are also volumes on frogs and things, 'hoppers, hovers and butties (which is also excellent) and ladybirds. I've not seen the shieldbug one. I have to admit that I've not noticed many shieldbugs but you never know, I might get my eye in one of these days.
Ken

Hello Ken,
Entomology effects the brain, You have actually posted to this thread yourself. lol.

I hope you noticed that it was not me, who wrote the post that took your name in vain. Far be it for me to name him, but I will give you a clue. An anagramme of his name is 'sirhc' ;)

I only have the one book by the Surrey Wildlife Trust, but if the rest are as good they should be congratulated. Their shieldbug book is excellent. I don't know how they produce them so cheaply.

Regards,

Harry

Tyke said:
Hi Harry-are there any aquatic shield bugs ?. A few weeks ago I went pond dipping with my grandchildren . The location was Lizard peninsula , in a pond created about two years ago . They found a "shield shaped" bug-black with a yellow border to the lower-pointed end -of the shield . I don't have a photo I am afraid .
Thanks
Colin

Hello Colin, :hi:
No, there aren't any aquatic Shieldbugs, they are all terrestrial or arborial. However, there is a large range of aquatic bugs which are very interesting in their own right. They include several species of Pond Skaters, and a couple of Water Measurers which occupy the surface of the water.

Beneath the surface there are Water Scorpions, numerous 'Corixid's' and other larger 'Back Swimmers' sometimes referred to as Water Boatmen. They are a fascinating group to study and record, unfortunately, they are a much neglected group.

There are very few books available on their identification, and what is available, tends to be rather expensive. The Land and Water Bugs of the British Isles by Southwood and Leston 1959, is perhaps one of the best, but it is out of print, and second-hand copies retail for £130.00 + although a CD-ROM of this book is available from Pisces Conservation at about £55.00. You may be able to obtain an original copy through one of the book dealers on:-

http://www.abebooks.com/

or on eBay, where they occasionally show up from time to time.

I'm afraid I cannot identify your 'bug' from your description, but it sounds as if it may be one of the four species of Water Boatmen.

Please do encourage your grandchildren to have an interest in nature, there are so few newcomers entering the field of natural history. I am often dismayed to find, that when I give lectures to natural history societies that I am the youngest person present, and I am in my early sixties. :storm:

Edit. There is a second hand copy of the CD-ROM available on abebooks.com from Pemberley Books at £20. if you are interested.

Harry

Last edited:
harry eales said:
Hello Colin, :hi:
No, there aren't any aquatic Shieldbugs, they are all terrestrial or arborial. However, there is a large range of aquatic bugs which are very interesting in their own right. They include several species of Pond Skaters, and a couple of Water Measurers which occupy the surface of the water.

Beneath the surface there are Water Scorpions, numerous 'Corixid's' and other larger 'Back Swimmers' sometimes referred to as Water Boatmen. They are a fascinating group to study and record, unfortunately, they are a much neglected group.

There are very few books available on their identification, and what is available, tends to be rather expensive. The Land and Water Bugs of the British Isles by Southwood and Leston 1959, is perhaps one of the best, but it is out of print, and second-hand copies retail for £130.00 + although a CD-ROM of this book is available from Pisces Conservation at about £55.00. You may be able to obtain an original copy through one of the book dealers on:-

http://www.abebooks.com/

or on eBay, where they occasionally show up from time to time.

I'm afraid I cannot identify your 'bug' from your description, but it sounds as if it may be one of the four species of Water Boatmen.

Please do encourage your grandchildren to have an interest in nature, there are so few newcomers entering the field of natural history. I am often dismayed to find, that when I give lectures to natural history societies that I am the youngest person present, and I am in my early sixties. :storm:

Edit. There is a second hand copy of the CD-ROM available on abebooks.com from Pemberley Books at £20. if you are interested.

Harry
Thanks very much Harry for the info on books etc . I am seriously considering the CD-ROM .
We found Water Measurer , Water Stick Insect ( magnificent beast ! ) & lots of Water Boatmen & Backswimmers-but this bug was definitely shield shaped & the yellow marking was striking .
Thanks again
Colin

harry 'shieldbug' eales said:
Hello Ken,
Entomology effects the brain, You have actually posted to this thread yourself. lol.
Now I know what's wrong with my brain! I did remember posting a shieldbug nymph photo but somehow I missed the exchange about my photography.
harry said:
I hope you noticed that it was not me, who wrote the post that took your name in vain. Far be it for me to name him, but I will give you a clue. An anagramme of his name is 'sirhc' ;)
As if I would ever accuse you of such a thing ;)........ clearly my reputation is not that great on a certain off-shore island :C

harry said:
I only have the one book by the Surrey Wildlife Trust, but if the rest are as good they should be congratulated. Their shieldbug book is excellent. I don't know how they produce them so cheaply.
Regards,

Harry
Certainly the two I have are excellent. The dragonfly book has a comprehensive, high quality set of photos apart from scarce chaser and small red-eyed damselflies, which have only been recorded recently (and there are no photos of nymphs). The macromoth book is also excellent though there are only comparatively few photos.
Ken

Tyke said:
Thanks very much Harry for the info on books etc . I am seriously considering the CD-ROM .
We found Water Measurer , Water Stick Insect ( magnificent beast ! ) & lots of Water Boatmen & Backswimmers-but this bug was definitely shield shaped & the yellow marking was striking .
Thanks again
Colin

Hello again Colin,

I cannot bring to mind any 'bug' that conforms to your description, (next time take a camera). It is possible I suppose, that it could have been a terrestrial creature that had fallen into the water, that often happens.

Certainly there are no British Shieldbugs that match your description, yellow is a very rare colour in these species even as one of the lesser colours forming markings against a different background.

There used to be a green species, very much like the Green Shieldbug
(Palomina prasina) that had a faint yellow outline around the whole body. This species (Pitedia juniperina) had no English common name, but it has been extinct in Britain since the late 1800's, it was found on Juniper, mainly in Surrey. Juniper is now a fairly rare plant in the wild these days. Apart from that species, nothing else comes readily to mind. Sorry.

Harry

Last edited:
harry eales said:
Hello again Colin,

I cannot bring to mind any 'bug' that conforms to your description, (next time take a camera). It is possible I suppose, that it could have been a terrestrial creature that had fallen into the water, that often happens.

Certainly there are no British Shieldbugs that match your description, yellow is a very rare colour in these species even as one of the lesser colours forming markings against a different background.

There used to be a green species, very much like the Green Shieldbug
(Palomina prasina) that had a faint yellow outline around the whole body. This species (Pitedia juniperina) had no English common name, but it has been extinct in Britain since the late 1800's, it was found on Juniper, mainly in Surrey. Juniper is now a fairly rare plant in the wild these days. Apart from that species, nothing else comes readily to mind. Sorry.

Harry

Hi Harry
Thanks again for considering my "bug"-yes I will take a camera next time !
Cheers
Colin

Hi,

found the following in the trap this am which is a lot larger than the Green Birches (l approx 14mm). Is it Hawthorn Shieldbug as this would be my first?

Regards,
Jamie

Attachments

• hawthorn.jpg
    hawthorn.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 125
J Duffie said:
Hi,

found the following in the trap this am which is a lot larger than the Green Birches (l approx 14mm). Is it Hawthorn Shieldbug as this would be my first?

Regards,
Jamie

Hello Jamie,

Get your pencil out, you have another tic to add to your list. It is the Hawthorn Shieldbug. :t:

Harry

How's about this one then Harry? Taken in July and found at the bottom of my 'what' file.

Jen :h?:

Attachments

• possshield-220704.jpg
    possshield-220704.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 98
Fuchsia said:
How's about this one then Harry? Taken in July and found at the bottom of my 'what' file.

Jen :h?:

Hello Jen :hi:
I usually only do the British species, however, as your one of my best customers, I did a little digging and found out for you. :loveme:

It's a specimen of Eurydema oleraceum. No English common name, as would be expected, but in Germany it is known as Kohlwanza. (Don't ask, I don't know what it means).

A beautiful little beastie isn't it. Typically, it had to be French to look so sexy. lol.

Harry

Last edited:
Harry

Possibly another furriner.
I came home this evening to find a bunch of Kenyan roses in the kitchen, and this little beasty was crawling around. If it isn't English dont worry to try and ID it!.
As you can see it was less than a quarter of an inch long!.

Attachments

• 2842crop.jpg
    2842crop.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 107
alan_rymer said:
Harry
Possibly another furriner.
I came home this evening to find a bunch of Kenyan roses in the kitchen, and this little beasty was crawling around. If it isn't English dont worry to try and ID it!.
As you can see it was less than a quarter of an inch long!.

Hello Alan,
I have downloaded your picture and enhanced it. I am assuming you caught this bug(ger) in England. If so, it appears to be very similar to a small example of the Birch Shieldbug. This species is usually a little larger than your example, the normal size being 9 -11mm. Dwarf forms sometimes occur though. I am assuming the roses were imported and bought from your local Supermarket or similar distribution centre. If you still have the specimen I would appreciate it if you could send it to me. I am always interested in oddities that turn up in this country. Please PM me if you still have it. I would be very willing to pay all shipping costs, lol. If nothing else, I would be able to ID it precisely for you.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello Alan,
I have downloaded your picture and enhanced it. I am assuming you caught this bug(ger) in England. If so, it appears to be very similar to a small example of the Birch Shieldbug. This species is usually a little larger than your example, the normal size being 9 -11mm. Dwarf forms sometimes occur though. I am assuming the roses were imported and bought from your local Supermarket or similar distribution centre. If you still have the specimen I would appreciate it if you could send it to me. I am always interested in oddities that turn up in this country. Please PM me if you still have it. I would be very willing to pay all shipping costs, lol. If nothing else, I would be able to ID it precisely for you.

Harry
Harry

Sorry, It disappeared whilst my back was turned. If it reappears I will contact you. The roses were from Kenya via Waitrose.

alan_rymer said:
Harry

Sorry, It disappeared whilst my back was turned. If it reappears I will contact you. The roses were from Kenya via Waitrose.

Hello Alan,
The chances are it will turn up either on some plant or flowers in your house, or on a window ledge. Not to worry though. There are a couple of foreign shieldbugs that have become established in southern England over the past few years, your specimen might be another species, which, if it gets imported often enough, could become a permanent resident. These illegal immigrants get everywhere these days, lol.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back