• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mt McKinley or Mt Denali? (1 Viewer)

steve_nova

There is a documentary about Mt McKinley (Denali) on CH5 (UK) as I write. I have never heard of it being called by it's native American name before.
To our American friends or to anyone in the know, what is the official name of the mountain please? Word searches on google just seem to throw up both names with no preference for status.

The National Park Service changed the name of the park to Denali some years ago, but there was "official" resistance to changing the name of the mountain itself. So officially, it remains Mt. McKinley, although most climbers and naturalists refer to it as Denali.

Thanks for that Doug.
I quite like the idea of native names being used for place names after all, a large number of your cities are so named like Miami, Chicago, Cincinatti etc.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back