• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help, SE Pennsylvania (1 Viewer)

jmercer

I am trying to sort out some birds I got this week. Hopefully, some of you folks who can tell a warbler by it's tail feathers can help with #1. The second I thought was a Phoebe by size, but looking at the picture, it is not a Phoebe. I think the third is a Blackburnian, but need confirmation, it would be knew for the particular site I was birding. Sorry about the quality, it was dark and tough with a 400 mm lens and the distances.
Thanks,
John

Attachments

• Unknown_4253.JPG
    Unknown_4253.JPG
    395.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Unknown_4255.JPG
    Unknown_4255.JPG
    436.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Blackburnian_4289.JPG
    Blackburnian_4289.JPG
    352 KB · Views: 84
1st bird is hard to be sure of but undertail/underparts look good for a Chestnut-sided Warbler to my eyes.

1st bird is hard to be sure of but undertail/underparts look good for a Chestnut-sided Warbler to my eyes.

#1 My first impression was Chestnut-sided Warbler, also.
#2 is a thrush, and looks good for Swainson's, IMO. Have any more photos?
#3 I agree

Would agree with Blackburnian because of facial pattern. I would have a problem with No. 3 because it appears so much more yellow than I would expect for a Blackburnian. Is this common? Not a common fall migrant for me in South Cenntral PA.

Would agree with Blackburnian because of facial pattern. I would have a problem with No. 3 because it appears so much more yellow than I would expect for a Blackburnian. Is this common? Not a common fall migrant for me in South Cenntral PA.

It looks like a pretty normal Blackburnian Warbler to me. I think the exposure of the photo may make the bird look more yellowish than it really is.

Thanks for the help, unfortunately, the woods are very dark and not friendly to a 5.6/400mm lens, I had to put it on a tripod and slow some of them down to 1/60th of a second. I only got one of the possible thrush. It could be one, I did have them in there last year. I was pretty sure the third was Blackburnian, but I had never had one here before, so I wanted verification. The middle one will have to be an undecided. I was hoping someone who banded might ID the way the outer feathers were white fading to dark. Appreciate the help.
John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back