• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AT80 ... Zoom versions (1 Viewer)

mayoayo

Does anybody know how many versions or models of 20X-60X zooms Swarovski released for their AT80 scopes..? I bought a scope not long ago,with the zoom ..This zoom has a locking pin and a kind of a disc,or thick ring on the base..I have seen other zooms without this base.I used to own the astronomy version of the swaro zoom..(not quite an 8-24 zoom,more like a 7.5-23 ...)..In my memory the astronomy zoom was taller and of less diameter than the zoom I have now..I also saw some pictures today of the model without the base disc ,and seems a bit thinner and taller too...
Visually i cant remember any quality of the older astronomy zoom,because i owned it years ago,but this model I have now makes me feel a bit of the rolling ball effect when panning ,ans I never noticed this ( i think) with the other model...
Do You guys know If swaro modified the Zoom over the years or how many versions were released,Or if the changes were only external..?
Here are a couple of photos,I saw this one in a camera gear web page today,depicting the thin version without the base..the other pic is my current scope...any info would hep
Danke

Attachments

• 54467.JPG
    54467.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_6304.JPG
    IMG_6304.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 212
A couple more of images for comparison...The first image is a cropped image of the picture in the previous post (courtesy of LCE, hope the good folks there dont mind me using their image)and the second image is a picture of the one I have.. You can see the first eyepiece is longer and smaller around,plus doesnt seem to have the locking pin assembly in the base. The other one is shorter and has a bigger diameter,plus features that ring in the base,with the locking pin...The rubber eyecup in that one,Is made of hard plastic with the rubber injected around,and screws onto the eyepiece...

Attachments

• 54467.JPG
    54467.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_6430.JPG
    IMG_6430.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Hi Nev..thanks for the link....I wasnt aware until now,with the purchase of this new scope, of the existence of this AT/ST 20x-60x MkII..It is a very good eyepiece,I am not sure if an upgrade to the current 20x-60x would be noticeable..Would love to try the 25x-50X though in the old scope .I still want to mail Swarovski to find out the main differences between the models..
thanks again

Nev...No..I didnt ,..I had that in mind but didnt find a suitable Baader zoom to experiment...Are You using the Kowa -Nikon adapter?...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back