• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher ID! (1 Viewer)

Fabio

I am afraid the blown-out part makes it hard to define if it is an Amazon Kingfisher or a Green Kingfisher. I would apricciate your help on this one!

Thanks,
Fabio.

Attachments

• DSCF4374.jpg
    DSCF4374.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 304
Fabio said:
I am afraid the blown-out part makes it hard to define if it is an Amazon Kingfisher or a Green Kingfisher. I would apricciate your help on this one!

Thanks,
Fabio.
Sorry I can't help Fabio But I would like a shot of any Kingfisher Green, Amazon, even Common nice picture.

Regards Snapper.

Hi Fabio,
I am consulting the book of C Hilary Fry and I would say it's an Amazon Kingfisher (Chloroceryle amazona). I see no spots in the wings and the flanks are streaked (they should be barred with Green Kingfisher). A nice adult male.

Greetings André

Fabio,
Andre beat me to it. I agree for most of the same reasons. It also has the stronger little "jowl stripe" and usually amazona has evident white lores (here mostly cut off by the branch) though also americana can have them they are less evident.

Steve,
what about the black spots under the chestnut breast band on americana male, which amazona dont seem to have, or....
JanJ

Fabio,

The right ID has already been given by André, Steve & JanJ. Just for the record there really only are two things you need to note in terms of the colour pattern:

1) No white spots on the wing. It should be mentioned that a few Amazon's do have a single or two white spots on the wing, but nothing that can be compared to the more extensive white spotting on the wing of the Green. This feature is useful in both males & females of the two species.

2) No green spotting below the rufous chest. At most a bit of streaking on the flanks. For comparison male Green has extensive green spotting below the rufous chest, not always in the center, but sometimes even forming a band. Again, it should be mentioned that I've actually seen a few male Amazon's that did have a green spot or two in the center below the rufous chest, but nothing that can be compared to what the male Green has.

Finally, whenever you have the luck of seeing a Green Kingfisher, the difference in size will make the ID obvious as it is far smaller than the Amazon (the Green-and-Rufous Kingfisher is a bit larger than the Green, while the American Pygmy is far smaller than all other Kingfisher in this part of the World). Anyway, there are several other features that are useful for separating the Green and the Amazon (i.e. usually more white in tail of Green, many - but not all - populations of Amazon have more distinct white lores, crest usually more distinct in Amazon, bill proportionally larger in Amazon), but the three mentioned above are generally the easiest and all you really need.

Last edited:
Rasmus Boegh said:
Finally, whenever you have the luck of seeing a Green Kingfisher, the difference in size will make the ID obvious as it is far smaller than the Amazon

Definitely. There is no mistaking the Green once you have seen Amazon and vice versa.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back