• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Gitzo - leg diameters? (1 Viewer)

Al Downie

I'm looking for a new tripod which is lighter than my Uniloc (3kg) and which doesn't require a centre column. As usual, I've been seduced into the top end of the market, and am thinking about the Gitzo Systematic range. I'll be using it mainly for holding my spotting scope, but often for photography with up to a 500mm lens, and for the sake of versatility I'll be sticking with a ball head, so there's no need for levelling.

So I'm looking at the 3542LS (2kg, 146cm), 4542LS (2.3kg, 156cm), and 5542LS (2.8kg, 153cm). The 5542 looks like a beast with *really* fat legs, but it's still lighter than my current Uniloc, it's by far the strongest and apparently the most rigid/stable, AND it's also the cheapest of the three (on special offer at the moment). I suspect it's overkill for most of my applications - almost like a studio tripod, but given the price I'm tempted!

If price wasn't a factor, which would you buy? If you already have one of the above Gitzos, could you measure the top leg section diameter or circumference and let me know? (I can't find that specification anywhere on Gitzo's website). If you have a 5-series, is it far too big for lugging around a reserve?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Al

Al,

Maybe I can help a little with the Gitzo numbering system.
The first digit is for the series, the second for the material, i.e. 5 for carbon fibre, 8 for basalt, 3 for aluminium, and the third digit is for the number of leg sections.

The 5 series have 41 mm top leg sections, the 4 series 37 mm, the 3 series 32 mm and so on down to 00 (actually only bottom leg sections) with 16 mm.
Consequently a 4-section 5 series would have 28 mm bottom leg sections. As the rigidity of tubes of the same material and wall thickness is proportional to the cube of the diameter these 28 mm tubes would be 2.7 times as stiff as the 20 mm bottom tubes of a 4-section series 3!

John

John! That's *exactly* what I needed! Brilliant - thanks a lot. I think I'll shy away from the bazooka-like legs of the 5-series, and pay a bit more for the 4 which is probablyore appropriate for my needs. And it's a bit taller too...

Invaluable Gitzo Model and Engineering Info

Apologies for the bump, but after much searching, I was still having trouble making an educated decision for a 500mm+ birding combination. Thanks for cutting through the Gitzo alphabet soup and the basic engineering equation.
Thanks
Al,

Maybe I can help a little with the Gitzo numbering system.
The first digit is for the series, the second for the material, i.e. 5 for carbon fibre, 8 for basalt, 3 for aluminium, and the third digit is for the number of leg sections.

The 5 series have 41 mm top leg sections, the 4 series 37 mm, the 3 series 32 mm and so on down to 00 (actually only bottom leg sections) with 16 mm.
Consequently a 4-section 5 series would have 28 mm bottom leg sections. As the rigidity of tubes of the same material and wall thickness is proportional to the cube of the diameter these 28 mm tubes would be 2.7 times as stiff as the 20 mm bottom tubes of a 4-section series 3!

John

Last edited:
Series 3 would be strong enough and portable too

I have one from the systematic range, 4 section variety and folds down to 55cm. Can't remember the number offhand, think its either a 3540LS or 3541LS.
When fully extended with ballhead and camera I have to stand on tiptoe to see the top lcd, height is 6ft for reference purposesfeof the £

Apologies for the bump, but after much searching, I was still having trouble making an educated decision for a 500mm+ birding combination. Thanks for cutting through the Gitzo alphabet soup and the basic engineering equation.
Thanks

I use a Gitzo 3530LS for my Canon 800mm F5.6 and it is more than adequate. I have tried a friends 5 series but it gave no practical advantage. Gitzo have now introduced a 2 series systematic which would probably be fine - my Gitzo 2531 Mountaineer is OK for my 300 f2.8 + 2 x extender but I think that a 3 series would give you more confidence. Incidentally forget the weight ratings with Gitzo tripods, they are so conservative that they are irrelevant. For a giggle I tried my 3 series Gitzos with 100+ kilos (ME!) and none of them showed any signs of distress. The reason to get a heavier/thicker model is to damp vibration - which Gitzos are extremely good at. A 3 series does me just fine for the longest (production) lenses available - I think you would be happy with one of them.
P.S. My 3530LS is my first choice when using my spotting scope.

Last edited:
I now use a 2531-LVL for everything including my 500mm f4 lens. It is as stiff as my older Gitzo that had larger diameter leg sections. I can press down on the top of the tripod as hard as I can and see no leg deflection at all. Total weight without the ball head is 3.5 lbs. and I use it with a Kirk BH-3 that weighs 1.2 lb and works exceptionally well. No flex with the Kirk even when I use a Wimberley Sidekick with a 500mm or 600mm lens.

The quick leveling is the reason I bought the new tripod as I loved it on a Manfrotto I own. I can move it anywhere in the field and in 3 seconds the head is perfectly level. Helps with panning to have the head level.

I now use a 2531-LVL for everything including my 500mm f4 lens. It is as stiff as my older Gitzo that had larger diameter leg sections. I can press down on the top of the tripod as hard as I can and see no leg deflection at all. Total weight without the ball head is 3.5 lbs. and I use it with a Kirk BH-3 that weighs 1.2 lb and works exceptionally well. No flex with the Kirk even when I use a Wimberley Sidekick with a 500mm or 600mm lens.

The quick leveling is the reason I bought the new tripod as I loved it on a Manfrotto I own. I can move it anywhere in the field and in 3 seconds the head is perfectly level. Helps with panning to have the head level.

I have the same tripod but without the leveling option - it is a fine tripod and light! It will certainly do the job with long lenses but I have found the 3 series (especially Systematics) to be better. The 4 and 5 series are better still, but the law of ever diminishing returns comes into play. When I tried out a friends 5 series I found no worthwhile advantage with 600/800mm lenses, however my friend found a big difference as he is 6'7" tall so my 3530LS was just a wee bit short:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back