• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Audubon HHS roof bins (828) (1 Viewer)

brocknroller

porromaniac
United States
Has anyone on this forum used the new Swift Audubon 8.5X44 HHS roof prism binoculars? According the review I read on BVD, it is close to the porro version in image quality (which is nearly identical in optical resolution to the Swaro 8.5X EL, costing much more!). I had an Audubon 820 porro, and though the optics were excellent, Î found the eyecups too large for my face (I have a high bridged nose and deep-set eyes). With the short ER (advertised as 17mm but only useable for about 12mm), I could not get the EPs close enough to see the entire FOV, and the eyecups were uncomfortable. The roof version has smaller eyecups, longer ER (19mm and not as deeply recessed as the porros), it's lighter, not nearly as bulky, and just a tad less sharp than the porro version. the only real trade-off is the FOV (6.4 ° vs. 8.2 °). The price in the US is very reasonable (about $300). Although the BVD review was very good, I'd like to hear some other opinions. Thanks!

Brock

elkhorn98 said:
What is the BVD review? Thanks.
BVD = www.betterviewdesired.com

I'm not sure if the site is still actively maintained. The last time I checked, it seemed that the information was a year or two old - There was no information on new model binoculars such as the Nikon Monarch. BVD however contains an absolute wealth of information on birding optics and is well worth investigating.

Also, FYI - I posted a new reply on your Monarch ATB thread regarding a favorable reveiw on them.

Well, if this tells ya anything, I have 5 other binos (including an 820 Audubon and a Superior E) and I'm gettin' one of the new HHS units. I tried one at Astronomics a few weeks ago and while I'm not a big roof prism fan, for $300 it's too good NOT to have one in the optics "arsenal"...period...and I'm not easily impressed anymore. It's just a dandy....if you really nitpick, it may not be up to the LX or EL or the other $1K+ high-zoot glasses, but you really have to start looking for tiny differences in edge performance, actually trying to see CA, etc. But I don't worry about that stuff anymore
I find it really difficult to separate price and performance. In other words, is the $1300 EL "better" than the $300 HHS? Somewhat, yes...but $1000 better?. NO WAY. Unless of course you're getting a particular bino (i.e., a "Big Four" brand) for the status of having one, which I believe lots of folks do. That's my tuppence on the matter.....

spyglass said:
I find it really difficult to separate price and performance. In other words, is the $1300 EL "better" than the $300 HHS? Somewhat, yes...but $1000 better?. NO WAY. Unless of course you're getting a particular bino (i.e., a "Big Four" brand) for the status of having one, which I believe lots of folks do. That's my tuppence on the matter.....

The Swift HHS, IMHO, is a very nice binocular, well worth the $300 street price. It is, however, noticeably dimmer than its $1000 competitors, and offers a relatively narrow field of view. Unfortunately, if you want all the performance of a Swarovski 8.5 x 42 and are willing to pay to get it, the price of admission is currently well north of $1000.

chartwell99 said:
Unfortunately, if you want all the performance of a Swarovski 8.5 x 42 and are willing to pay to get it, the price of admission is currently well north of $1000.

...or get the Swift 8.5x44 ED porro for $379. Appart from handling and ergonomics, and of course panache and status, i think that they are (optically) better than the Swaro 8.5x.

Otto McDiesel said:
...or get the Swift 8.5x44 ED porro for $379. Appart from handling and ergonomics, and of course panache and status, i think that they are (optically) better than the Swaro 8.5x.

Or for even better optics get the Nikon 8x32 SE. Robust but not waterproof, and not as bright in low light.

Leif

Otto McDiesel said:

I think you are entirely right on this one. In my view, there is simply no comparison optically between the Swift Porro and Roof Audubons. I understand that the ED version of the porro is even better, offering truer and more vibrant colors, and better weather sealing, to boot. Unfortunately, my experience with the Nikon 8 x 32 SE was plagued by blackout problems which I never experienced with the Swift, but which were annoying enough to convince me to sell the binocular. Bummer!

Greetings,

I've had a pair of Swift 828 roofs for about a year now. I just measured them and they are just a hair over 5.75 inches long with the eyecups pushed all the way down. Eye relief is so good I use small spacers to keep the eyecups extended about 4 mm even with my glasses. The friction fit of the eyepieces is not firm enough to prevent bumps from moving them around.

I bought the Swifts sight unseen based largely on the BVD reviews mentioned above. After I had them, I did get a chance to compare the view through them to the Swaro 8.5x42s, but only under in-store conditions. From memory (this was a year ago with my pretty bad eyes) the Swaros appeared to me noticeably brighter and a tad sharper. My Swifts have noticeable pin-cushion distortion and this flaw is my biggest complaint with them. When panning a horizon, it distracts me from looking for birds. On the plus side, they are small and light for an 8.5x44 and very well built. They really made the big Swaros feel, well, big. I've soaked them in many rains and subjected them to sub-zero temps with no ill effects.

Swifts are not sold in any of the shops I've been to here in Anchorage so I haven't compared them to the porro version but I'd be happy to answer any questions about the roof version.

Joe H

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back