• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal 100 mm or 80 mm Spotting Scope? (1 Viewer)

I was wondering if any of the members here have used these scopes, and if so, what is your opinion of these. What are they comparable to? Which model will give the clearest view? I would like to purchase a higher quality ED spotter and stay under $1000.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated, as I can't seem to find but very little commentary on these 2 models, and none are easily available to look through. Thanks, Bill

I don't have the Regal but I do have the Ultima 100 ED. I am no expert but I think it is not bad at all. Main compromise is the quality of the eyepiece & I have added a Baader Hyperion Zoom which for viewing comfort is as good as the Swarovski & Zeiss scopes I tried.
It is very heavy though & the Regal version is even heavier.

If you want an honest answer - and I was an owner... Celestron designers flubbed the design. Optically the scope performs very well but it is just too darn heavy. Compare to other scopes of similar size.

As a price conscious purchase, the Pentax 65ED almost cannot be beat. There is an 80mm version as well.

As for a 100mm scope, that's a personal thing. But I would limit that to stationary use or for very serious dslr use on longer distances, ie more specialized use.

Last edited:
Hello,
I am looking for a big scope as I am an birder-astronomer observer, and I like the possibility of use others eyepiece of 1.25" like with the celestron Regal.

Anyone know the difference between the Opticron ES 100 ED and the Regal 100 Apo?

Are my two options !

Welcome the opinions,
Wachi

Thank you all for your responses.

moreorless, I did see the earlier post by Frank D-- that was an excellent testiment to the 65mm Regal. I did pick up some usefull info here on the 80mm model, but does anyone know if I would get the same clarity and maybe some improved brightness at higher powers with the 100mm model? I still have heard very little about that model, and really don't mind the extra size/weight since it would be used mainly for viewing wildlife from our patio door which could include some long range spotting.

I currently have a Bushnell Elite 15-45x60mm which is light and portable for hiking and trips.

I guess if I could pick up some more valuble performance from the 100mm vs the 80mm, it would be worth looking into. Does anyone have more info on the 100mm model? The lack of info on the 100mm model so far is making me a little apprehesive. Thanks, Bill

Well, I recently ordered the Regal 100mm model, and the scope is due to arrive on or before Jan. 15-(backordered). Hopefully it will be consistent in quality with the Regals that others here have been happy with.

I really appreciate all of the input by members here which made my decision much easier. IMHO, this forum is unsurpassed for detailed information on optics. Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill, Are you still be liking the 100mm? Good thing my wife doesn't read this post, I would get heck for it.;)
Regards,Steve

Steve,

Yes, It's been working out well for us. The real test will come when I start using it for target shooting, but from past experiences, it should work fine. One nice feature of the 100mm is that you can take it to full power with relatively little loss of brightness.

I still don't have a decent tripod yet-- seems like every time I find a nice one on Craigs list, it's been sold. Gotta start looking harder!

Bill

Last edited:
Hi Bill, Thanks for your reply. Glad you still like the scope. Yea, you do need a decent tripod for a scope this size. I bought used Bogen 3226 with 3047 three way heads, then bought a Bogen 501 head. I like this set up , not light wt. though.:) I gave the 3047 head to my Brother-in-Law.
Regards,Steve

Celestron Regal 100 F-ED vs Pentax PF80-ED

I tested my PF80-ED with 20mm Pentax XW vs my Celestron Regal 100 F-ED with 20mm Pentax XW and they both looked about the same in the daytime. I also tested my EON 72 with 17mm Ethos and Meade 102ED APO with 31mm Axiom and 40mm Pentax XW. The best view of all was the 102ED/40mm XW combo but the 17mm Ethos was close behind but not as bright in the F9 102ED. The 17mm Ethos gave the best view in the 100 F-ED showing the full 100° AFOV with no vignetting but would only focus out about 30ft since it's a 2" eyepiece and I used a 1.25"-2" Celestron adapter. The 13mm Ethos has a 1.25"/2" combo barrel and would focus out about 75 ft. If someone came out with a 100mm ED spotting scope that had a 2" focuser it would be fantastic. The 102ED/31mm Axiom combo had a great view also. The best overall combo was the Celestron Regal 100 F-ED with 20mm Pentax XW since it had no balance issues like the 102ED or EON72 when focusing from infinity to under 50ft and was easy to view birds up in the trees compared to the non-angled prism PF80-ED. I also liked my 8-24mm Pentax XL zoom eyepiece better than the Celestron zoom eyepiece.

photos:
100F-ED & PF-80ED each with a 20mm Pentax XW

Meade 102ED APO & 31mm Axiom

EON72 w/17mm Ethos

40mm Pentax XW w/102ED

100F-ED w/17mm Ethos

100F-ED w/13mm Ethos

Hi Joe, Thanks for posting the pictures. I think the C 100 Regal looks better with the 17 Ethos than the EON 72.;) I don't know what we would do without you buying all this nice stuff and getting back to everyone about it.:t:

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve, today was a great day for testing since it was a warm 75° on the last day of winter here in NJ. I hope the rain holds out until Monday.

Joe

Hi Joe, Yea nice here in Central Pa. but I am sick for the weekend.:-( I hope the weather holds out for you as well.
Regards,Steve

I tested my PF80-ED with 20mm Pentax XW vs my Celestron Regal 100 F-ED with 20mm Pentax XW and they both looked about the same in the daytime. I also tested my EON 72 with 17mm Ethos and Meade 102ED APO with 31mm Axiom and 40mm Pentax XW. The best view of all was the 102ED/40mm XW combo but the 17mm Ethos was close behind but not as bright in the F9 102ED. The 17mm Ethos gave the best view in the 100 F-ED showing the full 100° AFOV with no vignetting but would only focus out about 30ft since it's a 2" eyepiece and I used a 1.25"-2" Celestron adapter. The 13mm Ethos has a 1.25"/2" combo barrel and would focus out about 75 ft. If someone came out with a 100mm ED spotting scope that had a 2" focuser it would be fantastic. The 102ED/31mm Axiom combo had a great view also. The best overall combo was the Celestron Regal 100 F-ED with 20mm Pentax XW since it had no balance issues like the 102ED or EON72 when focusing from infinity to under 50ft and was easy to view birds up in the trees compared to the non-angled prism PF80-ED. I also liked my 8-24mm Pentax XL zoom eyepiece better than the Celestron zoom eyepiece.

photos:
100F-ED & PF-80ED each with a 20mm Pentax XW

Meade 102ED APO & 31mm Axiom

EON72 w/17mm Ethos

40mm Pentax XW w/102ED

100F-ED w/17mm Ethos

100F-ED w/13mm Ethos

jogiba,

Glad to see someone taking the time and effort to do some side by side comparing with the Celestron Regal 100mm. Keep any useful info coming, as I have already recieved several PM's from people wanting to know more about this scope, and I had a hard time giving a good response, not having any other well recognized scopes to compare mine to.

As for us, the supplied zoom eyepiece is serving us well for now, and we are still very happy with our choice.

FWIW, Spottingcopes.com (Hayneedle) has had the best price I have seen on the Regal 100, and now and then offers an additional 10% off thier $699 regular price.

Thanks, Bill

Last edited:
jogiba,

Glad to see someone taking the time and effort to do some side by side comparing with the Celestron Regal 100mm. Keep any useful info coming, as I have already recieved several PM's from people wanting to know more about this scope, and I had a hard time giving a good response, not having any other well recognized scopes to compare mine to.

As for us, the supplied zoom eyepiece is serving us well for now, and we are still very happy with our choice.

FWIW, Spottingcopes.com (Hayneedle) has had the best price I have seen on the Regal 100, and now and then offers an additional 10% off thier $699 regular price.

Thanks, Bill
Thanks for the info guys - this precisely what i have been searching for, a large objective spot scope that can deliver in quality and detail - without loosing my house and home. Regards, Hans

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back