• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Nikon lenses on new Nikon DSLRs? (1 Viewer)

shadowman said:
Would there be any use for old, non-autofocus Nikon lenses on any of the Nikon DSLR bodies?

Hi,

Yes old non autofocus Nikkor lenses can be use with any of the latest Nikon DSLR bodies. Just have to get used to it, but if you are already an SLR user
before then it should not be a problem.

I am also using a Nikkor 500mm mirror reflex f8 with good results on the D50, but one has to accept its' limitations.

K C Tsang

shadowman said:
Would there be any use for old, non-autofocus Nikon lenses on any of the Nikon DSLR bodies?

I know someone who is looking to use these older lenses, which have little monetary value, for shoots when his gear may get wet. The idea being if it causes damage the loss is less and the fewer moving parts the less chance of problems.

shadowman said:

Depends on how "old." For use on modern Nikon bodies the lenses need to be of the AI type, so the very old Nikon lenses (the ones with the metering prong) need to be modified a little or else mounting them can damage the camera body. There are still a couple of people out there who do AI modifications on very old Nikon lenses.

If the lenses are AI type, they will mount and function on a new DSLR, but may not meter, depending on which DSLR you use. My AI lenses will not meter on my D100, but they meter just fine on the new D200, provided you set the appropriate menu control correctly.

The truth is that if you use an AI lens on a DSLR, it's not that hard to adjust your exposure either using trial-and-error or a separate light meter. With my D100 I used older lenses quite a bit.

I use quite a lot of oldies - the great 50-300ED, the 105/2.5, the 28/2, the 135/2.8 and some more. They work and meter perfectly with the D2X and the D200 and are sharp as some of the latest lenses. Manual focus is required of course.
The only exception in my collection is the 28/3.5 PC which requires manual metering adjustment.

I agree with Yossi. I use a manual AI 600mm Nikon f5.6 with a D2Xs body for all my bird photography. Works wonderfully, as do other older AI lenses like the Micro-Nikkor.

I've a collection of older Nikon and Nikon fit AI & AIS lenses of various makes. I haven't used them for sometime has I gave up on 35mm SLR gear for bird photography. But I've never been able to get to grips properly with using the Cooopix 4500 I bought. I think its time to get the credit card out and get a DSLR.

Nikon ai and ais manual lenses will only work on the D200 and D2 series of cameras, I have several older Nikon ais and other ais lenses that work perfectly on my D200 but not on the D70s.

nirofo.

Last edited:
Nikon Manual Focus Lenses on Digital Cameras

nirofo said:
Nikon ai and ais manual lenses will only work on the D200 and D2 series of cameras, I have several older Nikon ais and other ais lenses that work perfectly on my D200 but not on the D70s.

nirofo.

Most definitely...don't disguard those old Nikkors... I use them on my D200 and Fuji S2s.

Attachments

• Hawk Picture 1205sm.jpg
    Hawk Picture 1205sm.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Not being "made of money," I have fully embraced the use of older non-AF, non-CPU Nikon lenses, particularly for bird photography. I've ranted elsewhere in BF about the HUGE premium people seem willing to pay for the luxury of autofocus in long, fast lenses. Sour grapes for sure, but let me point out that a Nikkor 600mm. f4 MF lens in good condition can be purchased used for $2,200+, whereas the current AF-S model sells for upwards of $9,000 new. We're talkin' big bucks here!

So I have acquired a few older Nikkor teles, and yes, of course I sometimes struggle with focus (manually focusing on fast-moving warblers or foraging kinglets ages one prematurely, believe me). But I can't convince myself (or perhaps more importantly, my wife :-O ) that it would be worth taking out a second mortgage on the house to invest in the newest Nikon supertelephoto in order to pursue an interest that nets me no income whatsoever.

That said, let me add one bit of caution to those who would follow me into the happy land of purchasing dirt cheap used Nikon superteles. Some of these lenses clearly are a bit more prone to chromatic aberration than are the newer lenses. I'm not sure why. It can be a problem when you are taking photos in very bright, reflective light. Usually, you can correct the issue through careful use of a few Photoshop tricks.

How much is picture quality affected when using these older lenses with DSLRs? I have three of my grandfather's older Nikon lenses (with a camera to boot) but I'm not sure how to find out about how compatible they are with a D80. I think they were purchased in 1981.

Nikon Series E 28mm f/2.8
Nikon Nikkor 105mm f/2.5
Soligor 75mm-260mm f/4.5 (to fit Nikon AI)

Plus the M500T-ZOOM flash - not sure if that would work with the D80 either.

Anyone have any clue? A site that might be able to help me out? Googling hasn't helped me much.

Last edited:
Sir William said:
How much is picture quality affected when using these older lenses with DSLRs? I have three of my grandfather's older Nikon lenses (with a camera to boot) but I'm not sure how to find out about how compatible they are with a D80. I think they were purchased in 1981.

Nikon Nikkor 105mm f/2.5

Plus the M500T-ZOOM flash - not sure if that would work with the D80 either.

Anyone have any clue? A site that might be able to help me out? Googling hasn't helped me much.
The majority of the AIS prime Nikkors are at least on a par with the latest primes and zooms and in some cases superior, as to the independants such as Soligor, well you makes your choice and takes your chance! I think the Nikon E series of lenses were produced for the entry level Nikon cameras such as the FG20, the likes of the Nikkor 105mm f2.5 were top quality and will be more than useable today.

Very few if any of the old flash units from any manufacturer will work in TTL mode with the F80 or the F200 and most of the other DSLR's.

nirofo.

Last edited:
Sir William said:

Nikon Nikkor 105mm f/2.5

If the lenses are AI/AIS type they will mount on the D80, but the light meter will not work on this camera (as opposed to the D200 or the D2 series). The optical quality of the Nikon lenses will likely be quite adequate. The 28mm. will give you the angle of view of around a 42mm. equivalent on a 35mm. lens. The 105mm. will give you around 155mm.. Etc. The Soligor likely will provide so-so results (I'm just guessing here).

Sir William said:
Thanks, guys. What exactly would I have to do with the metering?

The Nikon D80 would not control metering or close down the aperture automatically, you would need a separate light meter and would have to set the aperture on the lens by hand. You would have to set the shutter speed on the camera. Lens focussing would be completely manual, but you would have focus confirmation in the camera viewfinder.

nirofo.

nirofo said:
The Nikon D80 would not control metering or close down the aperture automatically, you would need a separate light meter and would have to set the aperture on the lens by hand. You would have to set the shutter speed on the camera. Lens focussing would be completely manual, but you would have focus confirmation in the camera viewfinder.

nirofo.

Maybe I am misinterpreting some words in the above post, but I want to underscore that the D80 will, in fact, close down the aperture automatically (unlike the old "preset" apertures of old); it just won't set the proper f stop for you. It won't provide any light metering data, so you have to operate the camera on "M" (manual) and set the aperture and shutter speed yourself.

With the D80 you can use a handheld light meter, if you wish. There are some small models that will clip onto the flash shoe on the top of the camera. In most cases, however, just a preliminary bit of trial and error is quite adequate. Remember, you can see the finished image and/or the histogram immediately after you take a photo. By examining the results of a "sample" shot you can get a good idea of what the proper light setting might be for your photo. Pretty soon you get quite skilled at estimating your proper settings, or at least estimating the adjustments you need to make from an initial setting made through trial-and-error. When I used my older Nikon lenses on my D100 I became pretty good at this game.

Doug Greenberg said:
Maybe I am misinterpreting some words in the above post, but I want to underscore that the D80 will, in fact, close down the aperture automatically (unlike the old "preset" apertures of old); it just won't set the proper f stop for you. It won't provide any light metering data, so you have to operate the camera on "M" (manual) and set the aperture and shutter speed yourself.

With the D80 you can use a handheld light meter, if you wish. There are some small models that will clip onto the flash shoe on the top of the camera. In most cases, however, just a preliminary bit of trial and error is quite adequate. Remember, you can see the finished image and/or the histogram immediately after you take a photo. By examining the results of a "sample" shot you can get a good idea of what the proper light setting might be for your photo. Pretty soon you get quite skilled at estimating your proper settings, or at least estimating the adjustments you need to make from an initial setting made through trial-and-error. When I used my older Nikon lenses on my D100 I became pretty good at this game.

Like I said, with the D80 you have to use a separate light meter and manually set the aperture yourself when using an AIS lens.

nirofo.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back