• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In search of elusive type specimens ... (1 Viewer)

Quick return ...

Now I´ve checked Bergman's paper in Arkiv för Zoologi (it´s all in English!), and as the title indicates (New Birds from the Kurile Islands), there´s nothing on any Nuthatch ... in my mind, simply due to the fact that any possible Nuthach seen (or caught) on those Islands wasn´t "New", not in Bergman's view, That was the opinion of Mr Momiyama.

Ok, so that paper was a Dead End. But I´m still not all convinced we will have to finally agree with Dickinson et al, that the type/s of the bergmani Nuthatch truly was (or is): "Lost".

In the Introduction of this paper Bergman explains:
"During my expedition to the Kurile Islands 1929-1930 for the purpose of zoological exploration, I collected [...], a number of some 1100 birds. These birds are now in the possession of the Natural History Museum, Stockholm, to which I have presented the collection together with all the other zoological material from the expedition, except a duplicate collection of birds reserved for Japan."
Maybe, among those 1100 birds, there might be a Nuthatch. Even if not "New", in Bergman's view. Who knows?

Thereby; as of now, my last hope to find it lays in the hands of NRM (Naturistoriska riksmuseet), here in Stockholm. I´ve asked the Curator to have a look in their collections, to keep an eye open for any Sitta europaea ssp., collected in 1929-1930, marked with either; "Kurilerna" (in Swedish, alt. "Kuril/e/s") or "Yetorofu", as the location, on the specimen label/s.

We´ll see what he can find!

Björn

PS. Either way; one cannot but wonder if any of those duplicates are still kept, still waiting to be found, in the YIO collection (there are a few possible candidates). ;)
--

Last edited:
PS. Laurent, the question of availability is beyond me. But still, in whatever value, commemorating Sten Bergman. ;)
Yes, the commemoration remains, of course. On the other hand, however, should the name not be available, it would become a bit questionable what the 'types', that we are discussing here, really are the types of...

Incidentally, takatsukasai "Momiyama 1931" (which is in use!) appears to have the exact same problem. (Or worse -- I have seen comments stating that the name has no description, but no suggestion that a reference was joined in this case.)

(Names introduced with an illustration but no written description would have been available if published just a few months earlier (still in 1930), by satisfying [Art. 12.2.7] of the ICZN. If published in 1931: no way. At this date, it's [Art. 13.1] that comes into play: for any truly new taxon, you must have a description in words, stating characters purported to differentiate the taxon -- either in the work itself, or in another publication referenced therein. See also [Art. 13.6.1]: this explicitly excludes that a name be made available by the method listed in 12.2.7 after 1930. If there is nothing more than a figure to support a name in a work published after 1930, this name is nude and not validly introduced there. Such a name will then be available from the first subsequent work where it is treated as valid and the taxon it denotes is described (if there is one dating from before 2000, that is; after 1999 things become more complicated; and of course such a name might as well never be treated as valid again). The author of the name will be the author of this later work, not that of the original work. The date from which the name takes precedence will differ. The original spelling might differ. Unless the later author designated types, the type series will encompass all the specimens included in the denoted taxon by this later author -- i.e., it will also most likely differ significantly.)

Sitta europæa bergmani/(bergmanui)

Regarding what I have been refering to as the "types" (maybe they´re simply specimens) searched for in this thread, of the bergmani Nuthatch, even if possibly not considered as formal types (by today's standards), I still think it would be interesting to find the actual specimen/s that might have formed the basis (or part of it) for the description of what, at that point, was called bergmani*. The very ones that made Bergman's name take place in the scientific nomenclature. Even if this scientific name is of no formal "use" what-so-ever today, nowadays simply a parenthesis in the history of ornithology ...

We´ll see where this search will end.

Maybe there´s nothing to find. ;)

Björn

PS. And Laurent, regarding the (minor) sidetrack, of "Sitta europæa takatsukasai", the OD of that one, was (also) published in the same paper, posted here.

Attachments

• Momiyama, 1931, p.4.jpg
    Momiyama, 1931, p.4.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 53
  • Momiyama, 1931, p.20.jpg
    Momiyama, 1931, p.20.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Types of Japanese Birds says "Sitta europaea bergmani Momiyama, 1931, Kaidori, 2 (8), pp. 4 (nomen nudum and misspelled bergmanui)"

Could this possibly be the Journal refered to by Momiyama!?

SANGAKU: the Journal of Japanese Alpine Club (mentioned; here alt. here)

If so: does anyone know where to find a copy? Of Vol. 25 (No. 3), 1930, p.78.

And possibly even better; a digitized version!?

Or does anyone know of what journal "Sangaku" truly was? The only, single reference in Momiyama's OD of "Bergman's Nuthatch" 1931.
-

Last edited:
In the second link, it is said that the Club was founded in 1905, thus volume 25 in 1930 seems to match. It would be surprising if it was not the right journal.
I don't see evidence they still publish this journal, but the Club still exists.
Perhaps try sending a mail to the address given [here] ?

The Japanese title of the journal is/was "山岳".
Google Books has quite a few issues (snippet view only, of course; e.g.: [vol. 24 (1929)], [vol. 26 (1931)]), but not this one so far as I can find.

Last edited:
Types of Japanese Birds says "Sitta europaea bergmani Momiyama, 1931, Kaidori, 2 (8), pp. 4 (nomen nudum and misspelled bergmanui)"
The whole sentence is a bit longer: "Sitta europaea bergmani Momiyama, 1931, Kaidori, 2 (8), pp. 4 (nomen nudum and misspelled bergmanui), 20, fig. C."
(I understand it as meaning that the name is a "nomen nudum" and misspelled "bergmanui" on p.4, but spelled correctly (and not called a "nomen nudum") on p. 20, fig. C.)

NDL (National Diet Library) has it!

山岳, vol. 25 (No. 3) a k a "Sangaku" alt. The journal of the Japanese Alpine Club (here) ... however not not open public, due to copyright protection.

I have sent them an e-mail ...

We´ll se what turns up!

Björn

PS. "目次 (tableOfContents)" is a bit of a worry... indicating that Momiyama's "page "78" could, in fact, be p.378. Like I said; we´ll see.
--

Last edited:
Ulf Johansson, Curator at Naturhistoriska riksmuseet (The Swedish Museum of Natural History), in Stockholm, informed me that their collection does include some (quite a few) Nuthatch specimens (Sitta europaea ssp.), from the Kuril Islands, collected by Sten Bergman: 4 from Yeterofu, and 2 from Urup, as well as 9 from Kunashiri!

We´ll see if any of them was mentioned by Okada! When (if?) I receive a copy of Sangaku ... or if my case is all circumstantial.

To be continued.

Closure on Bergman's Nuthatch

Helped by the kind Yuri Mitsushima, at the NDL (National Diet Library) in Japan, I have finally been informed that 山岳, vol. 25 (No. 3) a k a "Sangaku" alt. The journal of the Japanese Alpine Club, was/is the proper Journal! He also confirmed that pages 68-79 does include Okada's "Sitta europea clara" [sic] mentioned by Momiyama.

Unfortunately it doesn´t mention Mr Bergman at all.

Thereby, even if never given the status of type specimens I would guess the Nuthatches kept in Stockholm, collected by Sten Bergman, in 1929-30, on the Island Kunashiri (in the Kurils), most likely, was/is the (main?) reason why Momiyama commemorated him in bergmani (and Bergman's Nuthatch) in 1931.

I will take a look at them to see if the collecting dates possibly match any of the duplicate specimens kept in the collections of the YIO (Yamashina Institute for Ornithology).

Either way, as neither of them would be considered true types, my search (on BirdForum) for Bergman's Nuthatch ends right here.

That's it.

Björn

PS. And: Thanks everybody for helping me getting this far! :t:
--

Last edited:
Thunberg's (Yellow) Wagtail

Thereby let us shift focus!

So, what about the type (or types) of ...

• the subspecies Western Yellow Wagtail alt. Grey-headed Wagtail Motacilla flava thunbergi BILLBERG 1828 (here) as "[Motacilla] Thunbergi" a k a Thunbergs Ärla in Swedish (which is equivalent of Thunberg's Wagtail, in English)

Billberg's Thunbergi only have one single reference; "Nilss Orn. 113 M. flava var." ... which I think must refer to Sven Nilsson's Ornithologia Svecica (Part 1, from 1817), pp.239-240, here. The entry for No. 113 (CXIII. MOTACILLA FLAVA) starts on p.237.

All in Latin. For me, not being a Latin scholar, it is hard to tell if the specimen itself, the base of Billberg's "Thunbergi", is the one (in 1817) kept in either "Mus. Payk."* or "Mus. Holm"**

Anyone who does understand what Billberg and Nilsson told us?

Do they talk of male or female specimens? Or juveniles? I can see that Nilsson used the word junioris? Does he mention a Type location? Or is that "Enonteckis"? "(et) Enara Lapponiæ"? [if so it ought to be Enotekis (Enontekis), in Northermost Sweden/Finland and/or Enare (träsk) in Swedish, Inarijärvi in Finish, (Lake Inari in English) located in Eastern, Northern Finland. Both in the North of today's Sápmi (Lappland/Lapland)].

Or does anyone already know where the Type of thunbergi is located nowadays?

Grateful for any reply on either one of those questions.

Björn

The former collection (Museum), of von Paykull was donated to NRM in Stockholm in 1819 (he was one of the creators of the NRM itself!), where most of it still can be found. If the Wagtail that Billberg was writing about still is to be found there, is however unknown (at least to me)? It´s not listed here.

But before I start any attempt on tracing it, it would be good to understand what specimen/s I ought to look for.
-

Last edited:
Just a penny, for many of these old 'new' species there are no type specimens present. Can't remember I located an old thunbergi in Stockholm, will check again in few weeks.

Thanks for the offer, Justin, but no need to check, not in the NRM collection at least. I´ve already contacted Ulf Johansson, the Curator, and he told me it´s not there (any longer).

If a type exist it/they might (!?!) be found in the collections of Biologiska museet (The Biological Museum, at Lund University), in Lund, Southern Sweden, who actually has two older Yellow wagtail specimens, one female and one juvenile, both sent from Stockholm (most likely in the 1840's), both collected in Northern Sweden/Finland ...

They also had (!) a black-headed specimen, as well sent from Stockholm, in 1843, collected at "Enotekis", but that one has unfortunately been lost.

But before I dig further I would like to understand what the Latin text in Billberg's OD told us. And ditto for Nilsson's, of course.

We´ll se what turns up!

Björn

Billberg says it's Nilsson's var. [alpha]. Thus the bird from Mus. Payk.
He also repeats Nilsson's description of this bird almost word for word; that description is that of an adult male.
"Enonteckis et Enare Laponiae" is indeed where this bird is said to occur. Nilsson adds that (normal) M. flava does not occur there; Billberg adds that the bird is unrecorded outside of Lapland.

Thanks Laurent, maybe I'm stupid, but does that mean that both Billberg and Nilsson both writes about the/a male (specimen). And if so, nothing on any female or juveniles ...

Just to be on the safe side.

Björn

Nilsson:

"Var. [alpha]. Shape and size of M. flava.
Black head, mixed with grey at the rear. Back, remiges and tail as in M. flava. Throat whitish with black dots. Besides this, wholly yellow, on the lower part of the collar with almost coalescent dark patches.
Mus. Payk.
Observ.
This Motacilla lives at Enonteckis and Enara in Lapland, and there the (usual) M. flava does not occur. Distinguished from M. boarula by the shorter tail, and primarily the longer, slightly curved, rear nails. Either a distinct species? Or a variation linked to climate?"

(M. boarula = grey wagtail.)

(I'm not at home; typing this on a phone, which makes it rather slow, and rather likely that I will overlook typos. ;) Will continue with Billberg soon.)

Ok, Billberg, then:

"2. Thunbergi *): Olivaceous, yellow below, with a black head, a white throat with black dots, the lower collar with coalescent dark patches.
Nilss. Orn. 113. M. flava var. [alpha].
Sv. Thunbergs Ärla.
Resides: in Lapland at Enontekis and Enara very rare D Thunberg. Quite similar to M. flava, but by the stated characters strongly distinct from it.

*) Because of the black head, we cannot hold this bird, not seen beyond Lapland, as a variety of M. flava, although the appearance is quite similar; and therefore, with the ornithologically highly meritant Man, most happy disciple and successor of Linnaeus, being now regretted, we wanted to give his beloved name among Swedish birds."

(Sorry if the dedication doesn't really sound 'natural'; dedications from this time rarely do.)

The only place where I see fem/juv-type plumages discussed is under Nilsson's var. beta, but this is not the bird Billberg named thunbergi. (Nilsson himself says it is tschutschensis.)

Thanks Laurent, you´re a Gem! :t:

I didn´t even realize that Billberg's OD, from 1828, included a dedication ... !!!

However the type itself is still missing. I have asked Per Alström (Author of Pipits and Wagtails 2003, together with Krister Mild), one of the World most recognized experts on Wagtails, if he know where, and/or if, it can be found.

We´ll see ...

Björn
__

Last edited:
Wrap-up on "Thunberg's Wagtail"

• the subspecies Western Yellow Wagtail alt. Grey-headed Wagtail Motacilla flava thunbergi BILLBERG 1828 (OD in post #31) as "[Motacilla] Thunbergi" a k a Thunbergs Ärla in Swedish (which is equivalent of Thunberg's Wagtail, in English)

Long over due ... (not that surprising, it´s been Summer and Vacation time) ... I have finally been in contact with both Per Alström and Krister Mild, two of the World's foremost experts on Motacillidae, both Swedes like myself (and Peter Thunberg, of course ;)).

Unfortunatelly none of them have any idea of where the Holotype of thunbergi is to be found today. If it can be found at all.

It looks like we have to settle with it being lost ... at some time, after 1846, when it was logged in at Zoologiska museet (the Zoological Museum) in Lund. If wasted by bugs, on loan (and never returned), simply lost, or even stolen, seems unknown. According to Maria Mostadius, Curator at the same museum (today Biologiska museet) there could, maybe, might be a note on what happened to it, somewhere in the vast collections of the University Archive (Arkivcentrum Syd) that keeps all older papers from their Museum, but making room, and time, for such a long-shot; flipping, reading through stacks of (not digitized) dusty logs, letters, and notebooks, handwritten in pencil, or paled ink, on tarnished paper, in Old School Swedish, is a task far, far too great for my project. The tiny chance of finding it is simply not worth the try. Especially when Lund is located some 600 km South of Stockholm (where I live and work).

On this one I might have to do with a paratype (that is, of course; if such a specimen do exist?)

Well, that´s it. That´s as far as I can reach on the Type itself, for "Thunberg's Wagtail".

thunbergi ... over and out!

Björn

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back