• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recording Blackbirds: Tips (1 Viewer)

cbroster

Hi all,

I am carrying out a project for my dissertation research, where I am looking at the effect human noise has on the bird song of Robins and Blackbirds. I am not a bird watcher nor have I ever attempted to record them before, but very interested in it. I have been able to record robins rather easily because I just play a robin song and they respond rapidly... but I'm having difficulty recording blackbirds..

Difficulty is an understatement, I've recorded none! I'm not sure if it's the time of year (as I know they can be quiet around this time) or I'm doing something wrong...

Any advice on how to capture a blackbird song? I can easily identify it, I just haven't heard any around Southampton since I've been carrying out this work.

Any advice would be great!!

Thank you

It's the time of year - Blackbird song is spring territorial behaviour, roughly February to early July. Robins are different, as they maintain territories year-round, except for a brief lull when they moult in late July-early August; they have just started singing again in the last few days.

PS welcome to Birdforum!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back