• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Musselburgh (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Had a great day Birding at Musselburgh Lagoons. It was very peaceful watching Shelducks,Teals,Wigeons,Oystercatchers,Curlews,Woodpigeon,Pheasant,Mute Swans,Crows,Robin & Great Tit.

Did you see the White-winged Scoter with the Velvets?

Have you been up yet? It is accessible by public transport - train to / from Edinburgh, then either bus from Musselburgh station or (as we did) walk.

We went a couple of weeks ago on a high tide with onshore wind, expecting that the scoter flocks would be close inshore. Sadly that wasn't the case, the only birds were well offshore, and even with the 'scope on max zoom it wasn't possible even to tell if they were velvets or common - made even harder by the choppy seas!

Actually the best way to get to Musselburgh from Edinburgh is by bus. The 26, X26, 44, 113, 124, X24 but not the 30 all take you along the coast road from Eastfield to Levenhall. The 26 and 44 leave from South St David Street, the others from outside the Apple Store across the road from Waverley Steps. Musselburgh Railway Station is quite far from the coast. The White-winged Scoter has been mainly off Fisherrow, on the west side the river, there have been 2 or 3 Surf Scoters too but they have been seen at both sides of the river.

David

Have you been up yet? It is accessible by public transport - train to / from Edinburgh, then either bus from Musselburgh station or (as we did) walk.
Got a lift up a couple of years ago, and got @recordshotmyars style views. It'd be nice to see it better, trouble is the train is so expensive unless you get an advance ticket, which means you can't rely on getting calm, dry weather. So while theoretically accessible by public transport, it isn't really workable unfortunately.

Actually the best way to get to Musselburgh from Edinburgh is by bus. The 26, X26, 44, 113, 124, X24 but not the 30 all take you along the coast road from Eastfield to Levenhall. The 26 and 44 leave from South St David Street, the others from outside the Apple Store across the road from Waverley Steps. Musselburgh Railway Station is quite far from the coast. The White-winged Scoter has been mainly off Fisherrow, on the west side the river, there have been 2 or 3 Surf Scoters too but they have been seen at both sides of the river.

David

That's really useful info, I try and get up to Edinburgh from time to time as my son lives nearby. Only thing that puts me off about Lothian Buses is I believe you still need cash, apart from on the airport service. Didn't mind the train as the walk into town took me along the river, where we had great views of goldeneye and goosander.

Got a lift up a couple of years ago, and got @recordshotmyars style views. It'd be nice to see it better, trouble is the train is so expensive unless you get an advance ticket, which means you can't rely on getting calm, dry weather. So while theoretically accessible by public transport, it isn't really workable unfortunately.

Tomorrow, £30.70 return to Edinburgh, leaving NCL 10:42, returning 18:30. £15 each way without a railcard. Hardly expensive, and greener than driving.

That's really useful info, I try and get up to Edinburgh from time to time as my son lives nearby. Only thing that puts me off about Lothian Buses is I believe you still need cash, apart from on the airport service. Didn't mind the train as the walk into town took me along the river, where we had great views of goldeneye and goosander.

Not any more, you can use contactless on Lothian Buses. However, the Esk also has Kingfishers and Otters.

David

Tomorrow, £30.70 return to Edinburgh, leaving NCL 10:42, returning 18:30. £15 each way without a railcard. Hardly expensive, and greener than driving.
I'd not call £30 'hardly expensive' (my lift cost under half that, 4 in a car). But anyway I'm not going anywhere on a train at the moment . . . (where's the Grim Reaper smiley?)

I'd not call £30 'hardly expensive' (my lift cost under half that, 4 in a car). But anyway I'm not going anywhere on a train at the moment . . . (where's the Grim Reaper smiley?)

Well in that case you benefitted from a subsidy courtesy of the car owner; Newcastle to Musselburgh is 230 miles return, average cost of car ownership including servicing and depreciation £0.28/mile - cost of journey £64.40.

Agree about the current risks of public transport, although not everyone has the luxury of choice. Currently weighing up whether to drive to Kent next week or take the train, which in other circumstances would be a complete no-brainer (much faster, safer, greener...), hoping all the while the trip gets cancelled by my client.

Not any more, you can use contactless on Lothian Buses. However, the Esk also has Kingfishers and Otters.

David

Thanks David, that's good to know, I'm personally much more likely to use a bus if I don't have to fumble for cash.

Got a great view of two otters on the Water of Leith by Dean Village last year, oblivious to the crowds of tourists on the bridges.

Well in that case you benefitted from a subsidy courtesy of the car owner; Newcastle to Musselburgh is 230 miles return, average cost of car ownership including servicing and depreciation £0.28/mile - cost of journey £64.40.
Yep, fuel only; but it was 4 in the car, too, so only ¼ per person :t:

Agree about the current risks of public transport, although not everyone has the luxury of choice. Currently weighing up whether to drive to Kent next week or take the train, which in other circumstances would be a complete no-brainer (much faster, safer, greener...), hoping all the while the trip gets cancelled by my client.
Good luck with it!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back