• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a 2nd pair of Binoculars (1 Viewer)

RWP

Hello, my first posting here so hello all.

I'm an active birder in often rainy and quite forested western Washington and I'm looking for a second pair of binoculars, probably within the Nikon line (more on why in a second) to complement my Vortex Viper HD 8x32 I've owned since new many years ago.

So I'm looking to either pick up 8x42s or 10x42s of similar quality in the Nikon line. I need your help telling me what compares well to the Vortex Viper HD in brightness and clarity. The reason I'm going with Nikon is because REI has 20% off for members right now, and I have one hundred in dividend. So, it's an opportunity to decent deal on a good companion to my Vipers. REI doesn't sell Vortex.

What in the Nikon binocular line is a good match for my Viper HD 8x32s?

Thanks!

Nikon Monarch HG 8x42
ED Glass - Field Flattener Technology

Winner of the "Best of the Best" Award for 2017 from Field & Stream Magazine!

Nikon Specifications Quick Review
binocular magnification: 8X
binocular weight: 23.5 ounces
field of view: 435 feet @ 1000 yards

also comes 10x

Last edited:
... and quite forested western Washington

Nah!

Bill ... formerly of Lake Steven. Ah, the water! You can drive a nail with the water here in Twin Falls, Idaho. And while winter is not allowed there; the folks here thrive in it. :cat:

Welcome!

Especially if you have an REI credit card, I recommend getting something else (non binocular) for 20% off, then claiming your dividend as cash later in the summer, then deciding whether you want another bin, and if so getting whatever you prefer not limited to Nikon or REI.

--AP

Hmmm.

AP: Funny, I got to this point because I generally can't find anything at REI that I'm interested in these days. ...aside from last year where I bought a Cannondale and expensive indoor trainer. Now I have the problem of this dividend. My usual source of for bins and many other optical items is B&H. Which leads to this:

REI isn't looking to be much of a bargain with some of these Monarchs, even after 20% off.

Bill: I'm farther west, where it really is forested. We're probably pulling anchor in a year or so though. Western WA and Idaho are on the short list.

Thanks all.

RWP

Hmmm.

AP: Funny, I got to this point because I generally can't find anything at REI that I'm interested in these days. ...aside from last year where I bought a Cannondale and expensive indoor trainer. Now I have the problem of this dividend. My usual source of for bins and many other optical items is B&H. Which leads to this:

REI isn't looking to be much of a bargain with some of these Monarchs, even after 20% off.

Bill: I'm farther west, where it really is forested. We're probably pulling anchor in a year or so though. Western WA and Idaho are on the short list.

Thanks all.

RWP

So, it’s the Kitsap Peninsula or the National Forest. I was once in need of speaking to the 50s-60s singer, Glen Yarbrough. When I finally got through, I found he had been moored at Sequim for two years and had been in Captain’s many times in those two years but never had the need to go to the optics department on the second floor. :cat:

Bill

Nikon's MONARCH HG bino's are pretty awesome. I would say better then what you have now, but they are also $999. Nikon's MONARCH 7 bino's are also very nice. A number of my friend's use them in 10x42 and 8x30. Great price and even better with the $ you would be getting off. I keep a pair of MONARCH 7 8x30's in my truck for the you never know when occasion's. Alarm is always on too!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back