• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x32 Conquest HD vs Kowa Genesis 8x33 (1 Viewer)

black crow

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare these? I'm getting ready to try a upgraded 8x32 to go along with the Nikon 8x30 Ell I ordered. Assuming I love the Nikon I want something near as good for wet weather as the Nikon is not waterproofed as you all know.

I've looked at the Kowa and love it. However the Conquest seems to be a huge favorite around here and costs $350 less at the moment. Conquest is on sale and I have a coupon to get me another $50 off. Price is a factor somewhat as I love bang for buck. That's part of the magic for me. Both have 420 ft FOV except at Sports Optics which has it (Conquest) listed at 384 ft fov. (Can someone please verify which is correct)

I can't seem to come up with much else in that price range that I'm familiar at all with so my choice seems to be between these two. Help me decide. I know I'd love the Kowa for sure but I can try a Conquest and return it if it's not as good or better so I'm willing to go that route to get the bino I'll be most happy with. However if someone has done a head to head comparison and thinks the Genesis is significantly better I'd likely take their word for it and save the hassle.

I've finally come to the conclusion that 8x is best for me and I'd like to try and sell off some of my other binos and just be content like Denco is with two or three pair of really decent binoculars. The third would be the Sightron as a knock around that could be the loaner or something.

Well this is exciting. I keep finding ways to research and order new binoculars. I really am addicted to this. I guess I just don't care to try and quit, HIT ME UP BRO!3:)

Last edited:
I'm also going to include the Maven B-3 8x30 in this quest. It's a lot less money but supposedly because it's direct sales the quality is way above the price point. Big Fov at 430 ft. Light weight at under 17oz. Any comments on these in comparison to the other two? I can get a demo to try and then return easily if I don't like.

This forum is pretty amazing for this kind of comparison thing. It's the only place I know of where I can ask for these kind of comparisons and there's a good chance someone has owned all of them.

I have both of these binos and they are both great. Genesis has better CA control and a slower focus speed. Conquest has a faster focus speed which I find perfect for dragonfly watching or habitats where I am doing this or similar and birds can pop up in the distance. Conquest's focus speed gets me quickly to and from near and distant targets but not everyone likes a fast focus. I find it no trouble at all to get an accurate focus. It takes Conquest 0.5 of a turn to refocus from a target 2.5 miles from our house to the corner of my office 2 metres away. To do the same thing Genesis needs 0.75 of a turn.

Optically because of the CA control Genesis is better but this is rather theoretical for me as CA never spoils the Conquest view.

I am sure that Conquest's fov at 1,000 metres is 140m as per the UK and German Zeiss websites and so the fov in feet at 1,000 yards is (as we all know from our recent math lesson) 140 x 3 = 420ft.

Lee

Should have guessed you'd be one of those who have them both. Is that why they made you a mod?

Yes we do know that. Sports Optics website is retarded. I know that's harsh but this is the second bino they got wrong and with the first one which I bought (Meopro 10x32 fov 351ft) they list as 383 and I've contacted them 3 times about fixing it and they even emailed me for a clarification and there it still sits.

The Meopro has a fast focus also and I like it once I got used to it. I don't think I'd have an issue with that. The eye cups on the Genesis are the best I've ever looked through and that's worth something to me. CA is never really a factor for me. I guess I'm saying you haven't helped that much LOL. Let me ask you this way. By the cost factor, which is the best value to you, based on how much you use one over the other? If you pick up the Genesis most of the time then that's worth something. If it's about equal then saving $350 is meaningful. Which feels better in the hand? The Genesis feels very well balanced to me. TELL ME WHAT TO DO MAN!

and

Have you by any chance looked through that Maven?

Last edited:
I fully concur with Lee (post #3).
Another factor could be service quality. I have - unfortunately- experience with customer service at both Zeiss and Kowa and have to say that I like my Kowa binoculars (I have several) very much, but having to have one serviced by Kowa in Duesseldorf cost me a lot of nerves. With Zeiss, I felt in much better hands each time I needed service.

I fully concur with Lee (post #3).
Another factor could be service quality. I have - unfortunately- experience with customer service at both Zeiss and Kowa and have to say that I like my Kowa binoculars (I have several) very much, but having to have one serviced by Kowa in Duesseldorf cost me a lot of nerves. With Zeiss, I felt in much better hands each time I needed service.

That's good to know and I for one know all about crap customer service. However I heard raves in the UK about Opticron Customer service but here in the US I got pure grief from them and rudeness to boot. So this can vary from country to country. I'm just going to expect crap service from everyone from here on out. It's easier on me emotionally. I've been getting bad customer service all over the place lately.

The Zeiss 8x32 Conquest HD is a better binocular than the Kowa Genesis 8x33 IMO. I have had them both. The Zeiss has a much bigger sweetspot with sharper edges and handles glare better. The Kowa with it's smallish sweetspot and soft edges is not worth the price they ask for it. The Zeiss is a WOW binocular because of it's big sweetspot and the Kowa not so much. The Swarovski 8x30 CL is IMO a better choice than either. It is smaller more compact and with the big difference being better contrast and sharper edges than either the Zeiss or Kowa. The Maven B.3 8x30 IMO had quite a bit of glare similar to the Nikon M7 8x30.

Last edited:
Well I'll never know now Denco (Dennis?) but thanks for the input.

My well off friend who I have helped find all her binoculars has a pair of the Genesis that are virtually new because they didn't work for her glasses is selling them to me for ........ get ready.....$350.

That's the deal I'd never pass up. And I'll have them today. YIPEE!

Nature in her infinite wisdom of yang following yin on the shirttails of eternity, has finally brought some luck back around in it's eternal ebb and flow. I will survive to fight another day.

Last edited:
Well I'll never know now Denco (Dennis?) but thanks for the input.

My well off friend who I have helped find all her binoculars has a pair of the Genesis that are virtually new because they didn't work for her glasses is selling them to me for ........ get ready.....$350.

That's the deal I'd never pass up. And I'll have them today. YIPEE!

Nature in her infinite wisdom of yang following yin on the shirttails of eternity, has finally brought some luck back around in it's eternal ebb and flow.

:eek!:

Congrats BC! With the Kowa and the EII coming you've got a fun time ahead of you.

Should have guessed you'd be one of those who have them both. Is that why they made you a mod?

Yes we do know that. Sports Optics website is retarded. I know that's harsh but this is the second bino they got wrong and with the first one which I bought (Meopro 10x32 fov 351ft) they list as 383 and I've contacted them 3 times about fixing it and they even emailed me for a clarification and there it still sits.

The Meopro has a fast focus also and I like it once I got used to it. I don't think I'd have an issue with that. The eye cups on the Genesis are the best I've ever looked through and that's worth something to me. CA is never really a factor for me. I guess I'm saying you haven't helped that much LOL. Let me ask you this way. By the cost factor, which is the best value to you, based on how much you use one over the other? If you pick up the Genesis most of the time then that's worth something. If it's about equal then saving $350 is meaningful. Which feels better in the hand? The Genesis feels very well balanced to me. TELL ME WHAT TO DO MAN!

and

Have you by any chance looked through that Maven?

Value for money winner is without a doubt the Conquest although the Kowa is fairly regularly discounted by Kowa and although Conquest would still win on a performance per £$ paid, at the reduced price the Kowa's better eyecups and knurled metal focus wheel could easily win you over.

You want advice buddy? OK. Buy the Conquest now! Or else I'll send the boys round to 'explain things'...... :eek!:

We don't get Maven's over here so haven't tried them out but we have Opticrons and in terms of the number of units sold in the UK if what I see in nature reserves is any indication then they probably are the UK's top selling brand which says a lot.

Lee

Last edited:
I thought I'd wet myself when she told me how much she wanted.3:)

No problem, they are water proof.

Between this and the other posts, it sounds like you will have a lot of nice binoculars to compare in the next few days. Glad to hear you got a nice deal on a binocular that you like.

you sure she doesn't have a romantic eye for you....you know.... a little wlnk wink...nod nod ....nudge nudge....say no more.....:flowers:

you sure she doesn't have a romantic eye for you....you know.... a little wlnk wink...nod nod ....nudge nudge....say no more.....:flowers:

This is what I am wondering Gunny. Seems more to this than a few pairs of binos to me.......... :king::t:

Lee

She did at one time for sure. I fixed that easily though by just letting her get to know me. 8-P

I used to be a dog trainer as a part time job. I trained one dog for her and helped her train the other. Our friendship is based in an intense love for all things dog. I think dogs saved both of us from the lasting effects of some serious childhood neglect.

We would make a horrible couple even if she is a millionaire. ;)

Someone just told me it's Easter but I knew they were kidding right away because it's April fools day. They must think I'm stoopid. :gh:

I've wanted to try the Kowa for a number of years now but they can't be found in town, so I've made many mental notes from everyone's posts here. There doesn't appear to be a consensus on this one. Some will say the Kowa is better and some will say the Zeiss is better. I have the Zeiss so I am familiar with it and I am content with it and I can live with its shortcomings and appreciate its strengths. Optically, the Kowa side of the debate contends a little bit sharper on axis and a little less CA off axis. I've seen infrequent and brief price reduction on the Kowa at just under a grand which puts it more in line with the Zeiss, but it may take a year for this to come around. Go to Allbinos.com and check out the allbinos rankings of 8x32mm glass, both have been reviewed and you can decide which criteria are important to you. Also, you should demo the Maven and then you will know and only be out a few bucks for the postage. It is a bit of a different package than the x32 Zeiss and Kowa which may or may not appeal to you, and offers reasonably good optics.

Four that I have on hand at the moment; Leica 7x42 UVHD+, Swarovski CL 8x30 (2018 release), Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, and Maven B3 8x30. If I was going to cut this group back to two, I would keep the Leica and the Maven as that is what fits my needs and uses the best. If I was to cut it back to just one, ???? I don't think I could make that decision.

My .02,

CG

Last edited:
I wanted to love the conquest when it first came out but even with the replacement eyecups I still got blackouts and found them finicie in general to get a decent view. At the same show the Kowa guy put a pair of Genesis in my hands and that was it. No CA just about perfect eyecups and while the Zeiss is well built the Kowa is better.
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back