• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common or Jack Snipe ID, Notts, UK (1 Viewer)

Ben M

Whilst reviewing some photos I came across one of several Common Snipe, with what looks to be a smaller Snipe on the right-hand side. I've cropped and resized the original photo, but inserted a non-resized crop of the bird in question.

In Collins, the two main pictures of Common and Jack Snipe suggest that the scapular stripes on Common run almost parallel, whilst on Jack they almost join at the tail. However, this isn't mentioned as a feature to separate the two. Can this feature be reliably used to separate the two species, and is it possible to determine the species of the bird in question from this photo?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 2009-01-18 - 09-48 - Mill_Lakes - Snipe.jpg
    2009-01-18 - 09-48 - Mill_Lakes - Snipe.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 302
a common i am afraid, jack snipe is some times called half snipe in refference to its size with its size being marked as17 -19cm and the snipe being 25-27cm. i see what you mean about the scapulars i have a collins book that shows that feature, as well as ateast 4 other guides. I can only assume that your bird is an aberrant snipe showing this pattern or you should look at other snipes in europe for possible vagrancies

Thanks to everyone, especially birding maniac for addressing my question on the scapular stripe pattern. Interesting to know that other guides show this feature too!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back