• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two plovers for ID - Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

Florin Chirila

Not the best pictures in the world, sorry. From what I can see, I'd say the first one is Lesser Sand Plover (lack of extensive white on forehead), while the second one looks like a Greater SP (longer thighs, white forehead).

Attachments

• IMG_2878.jpg
    IMG_2878.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3758.jpg
    IMG_3758.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 105
Agree with Lesser. AFAIK Greater is fairly rare and only in winter around the coast, whereas Lesser is a common winter visitor to the lowlands more common in drier parts

I know some oriental populations of Greater have smaller bill than the typical Middle-East populations, so I wouldn't place great importance on the fact the bill is smaller than in typical populations. It is indeed the distribution map that makes me skeptical about the second one being a Greater. The picture is taken in the Udawalawe area, while the normal distribution covers the coastlines only, as pointed out by Andy. However, I am still seeing that white forehead which, from what I've seen, is more fit for a Greater.

But since so many opinions are favouring Lesser, I'll take it as such. Thank you everyone.

I know some oriental populations of Greater have smaller bill than the typical Middle-East populations, so I wouldn't place great importance on the fact the bill is smaller than in typical populations. It is indeed the distribution map that makes me skeptical about the second one being a Greater. The picture is taken in the Udawalawe area, while the normal distribution covers the coastlines only, as pointed out by Andy. However, I am still seeing that white forehead which, from what I've seen, is more fit for a Greater.

But since so many opinions are favouring Lesser, I'll take it as such. Thank you everyone.

I think you may have mixed up the bill proportions. Eastern populations of Greater (nominate leschenaultii and crassirostris) are larger-billed than the middle eastern population (columbinus). In my experience of leschenaultii, they look much larger-billed than this bird.

The white forehead is a feature in breeding plumage, when Lesser (from the 'Tibetan' group) has a black forehead but Greater and 'Mongolian' Lesser have a white forehead. It is not useful in non-breeding plumage as this bird.

Not just the bill as I said, leg colour too, a combination of small bill and almost black legs, is a fairly reliable pointer to Lesser.

Not just the bill as I said, leg colour too, a combination of small bill and almost black legs, is a fairly reliable pointer to Lesser.

Use leg colour with a bit of caution. They are both quite variable according to age and season (and probably individual), and it can be hard to judge depending on whether the legs are dirty. Having said that, yes a bird with darker legs is likely to be Lesser.

Use leg colour with a bit of caution. They are both quite variable according to age and season (and probably individual), and it can be hard to judge depending on whether the legs are dirty. Having said that, yes a bird with darker legs is likely to be Lesser.

My point John is that a bird with dark legs and a smallish bill is likely to be, two features. Leg colour and bill size both vary but when you get the two together, it will usually be Lesser.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back