• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Novice seeking advice (1 Viewer)

tom baxter

I am interested in purchasing a camera to photograph wildlife, primarily birds. To my understanding, having a 300-400mm lens should allow me to capture action shots of birds.

I have been reading up on this forum and learning about other people's camera+lens combos. I really like the Canon EF 5.6/L. It is an expensive lens and I would not be able to buy a housing of equal price range.

Feel free to comment on any of the above information, but I have a few more specific questions:

1. Is it reasonable to consider buying an inexpensive housing and using it with a lens that costs significantly more. For example using a Canon Rebel XS that I see online for only $400 (USD) with the EF 5.6L that I see for $1339 (USD).

2. I understand that cameras have a life expectancy, but I do not know how to evaluate whether or not a used housing OR lens is a good value. Can anyone lend me some pointers to dealing with used equipment?

Thank you very much!

Regarding question 1 - you'll definitely get better results with a great lens on an average body, than the other way round.

The Canon 400mm L f5.6 is an excellent lens.

For camera body I think you would get a lot more from the Canon T2i (also called 550). I'm sure you can pick up a used one for $400 or less.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back