• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When do male blackbirds turn black (1 Viewer)

Ck4682

Hello
In Spring we rescued a fledgling blackbird (Pip)and some weeks later successfully released it. We have 4 or 5 blackbirds regularly visiting and for some time Pip continued to take cat food from my hand. We're now stuggling to recognise him/her and I wanted to know when a male blackbird starts to look black and it's beak changes colour. Pip was brown and speckled but not sure if all fledglings are and then turn black? Thanks for any information.

Hi CK and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Male Blackbirds start developing their adult plumage during the summer, it's a gradual process, with the male first showing black on their wings. I can't go any further than this, myself, as I don't see them in the garden after this; they all seem to disappear to the wider countryside to forage on the autumn harvests for fruit and berries. The yellow bill is only evident in the adult breeding male.

I'll move your post to the Information Wanted forum where more people with the knowledge will see your question. I've therefore subscribed you to this thread so you'll be able to find it easily. You will get an email notification of any replies but can unsubscribe very easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back