• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backyard Hawk in Michigan (1 Viewer)

sirijay

This bird flew in to my kitchen when it missed catching a squirrel on a nearby tree. Both lived to tell the tale -- but I am wondering whether this is a Cooper's or Sharp-shinned? Very much appreciate your help.

Attachments

• Hawk - Copy.jpg
    Hawk - Copy.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 155
Agree with Goshawk. Lightly marked juvenile. Pale supercilium. Irregular dark tail bands. Large Tarsii and long left talons almost surround the branch.

Last edited:
I can't see this as a Goshawk, unless the North American subspecies is much lighter in build than the European. Just not bulky enough, legs and tail too long in relation to size of the body. Cooper's "feels" much better in terms of jizz/structure.

I am seeing a Cooper's Hawk here. As others have said the bulk of a Goshawk just isn't there. Also juvie Cooper's(and even some Sharpies) can give the impression of an white eyeline, but it would be much more prominent in a Goshawk. Also I would expect much heavier streaking all the way up from chest to head on a Goshawk and they usually have streaking on the undertail coverts as well

I can't see this as a Goshawk, unless the North American subspecies is much lighter in build than the European. Just not bulky enough, legs and tail too long in relation to size of the body. Cooper's "feels" much better in terms of jizz/structure.

It's more a matter of posture than "structure", I would say, the hawk being stretched-out, nervous and alert and ready to fly off, in response maybe to the photographer getting too close.

Cooper's for me. Head, especially the beak, neck and legs are all too slight for a Gos. Streaking too light around the 'ear'

Here are a number of pictures of juvenile Goshawks from the Canadian Peregrine Foundation. (I had the website up for a BF discussion on Coopers and Sharp-shinned Hawks.;))

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/raptors/Goshawk.html

A number of these birds have long tails and a "lanky" look.

And OP says the bird was chasing a squirrel, a large rodent and a common prey for a Goshawk. Cooper's commonly prey on birds and small rodents.

Bob

Here are a number of pictures of juvenile Goshawks from the Canadian Peregrine Foundation. (I had the website up for a BF discussion on Coopers and Sharp-shinned Hawks.;))

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/raptors/Goshawk.html

A number of these birds have long tails and a "lanky" look.
The best comparison shot would be a male Goshawk in a similar posture, e.g. this one or this one (at least I think they are males, given the proportions).
Still not entirely convinced by the OP's bird. A Goshawk should have a proportionally large body and a broad tail base, compared to its smaller relatives.

And OP says the bird was chasing a squirrel, a large rodent and a common prey for a Goshawk. Cooper's commonly prey on birds and small rodents.

Bob
Cooper's also prey on squirrels, though. Plus, the OP didn't say how big the squirrel in question was. As you know, they come in many different sizes (depending on age and species), particularly in your country.
Now, if the OP had said the hawk was chasing a hare, that would be a different story...

Thank you for the amazing discussion - I am learning a lot.
I took about 35 photos of this bird since it was truly focused on the squirrel (a common gray squirrel) and barely noticed me. I have had Cooper's over the years in the backyard. I have never seen a Goshawk in my life.
Attached is another photo which may address the the posture question. The light is a bit bright in this shot, but hopefully will help a bit more with ID. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Hawk-A-1.jpg
    Hawk-A-1.jpg
    705.9 KB · Views: 49
Juvenile Northern Goshawks (NOGO) have streaked -- often heavily streaked -- under-tail coverts. Juvenile NOGO have white highlights to the dark bands in the tail. Juvenile NOGO do not sport tawny hoods. See various photos here. This bird is a juvenile Cooper's Hawk.

Juvenile Northern Goshawks (NOGO) have streaked -- often heavily streaked -- under-tail coverts. Juvenile NOGO have white highlights to the dark bands in the tail. Juvenile NOGO do not sport tawny hoods. See various photos here. This bird is a juvenile Cooper's Hawk.

Agree, I also think that the breast streaking on NG is bolder, broader at least on this side of the pond.

At plate #206 in Wheeler's RAPTORS OF EASTERN NORTH AMERICA there is an in flight photograph of a Northern Goshawk, juvenile, (lightly marked type) taken in October which has unmarked white undertail coverts.

It has (quote) "Unmarked lower belly and leg feathers. Unmarked white undertail coverts. Irregular dark tail bands. Pointed retrices. Note: Palest plumage. Ventral markings including pale underwing coverts,rival pale-marked juvenile Cooper's Hawks. Sexed as female by size." White highlights to the dark bands are visible. It is a bright photograph of a bird in flight. OPs bird is perched and irregular dark tail bands are not fanned out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back