• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this wannabe chicken? (1 Viewer)

seilerbird

I photographed this bird at Olympic National Park in Washington state, USA, in August a few years ago and I cannot find anything like it in the 8 bird field guides I own. Anyone have a guess?

Attachments

• Mystery bird.jpg
    Mystery bird.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 203
I don't have a field guide right in front of at the moment so I can't double check. But I think it looks more like a Gray Partridge if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
The Grey (or Gray) Partridge is a non-native species introduced to North America and can be found in the northern/NW parts of the US and southern Canada.

This does look like a scruffy/mo(u)lting individual, although not a field-guide-perfect one.

Edit - I don't like the tail on this one for a Partridge and I've never seen a Sooty Grouse, so......

Last edited:
Hi,
Grey Partridge is out of the question and Grey Francolin also, I see every day dozens of them.
It looks for my like a grouse, but I have no experience with the North American species.
Cheers
Peter.

Last edited:
This is a moulting Sooty Grouse, easily told by range (I don't think Dusky Grouse is there and Gray Partridge is not) if nothing else works. It does not have the right pattern on the wings at all for a Gray Partridge.

After looking at a field guide and looking at the photo again, I see that I was wrong with my ID. I'd agree that this is a Sooty Grouse. And yes Dusky Grouse's should not be seen in north west Washington.

Last edited:
The drawings in Sibley would not have let me get this one right :C and it is a species I have not seen.

Niels

The difficulty is that young gamebirds have a juvenile plumage which rarely illustrated or described as they moult out of it relatively quickly during their first autumn - I was going on the adult type grey feathering coming in on the underparts and the tail.

Cheers,
Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back