• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharp-shinned or Coopers Hawk in Ohio (1 Viewer)

Jim Lundberg

Taken by another birder, looking for a positive ID, so I did not post the photo here, but added his link to the photo:

http://leonhardt.smugmug.com/photos/676299631_X5ihe-XL.jpg

Interesting photo, nice to have a comparison. Measured on my computer, using 9" for the American Kestal, makes it a little over 12". This puts it more in the range of a Sharp-shinned. Kestrals average 4oz, Sharp-shinned 5 oz, Cooper's 16oz. Do you see the hawk weighing in at three times the Kestral, or just slightly heavier? The width of the terminal white tail band, the size of the head and whether or not the wings are pushed forward, I'm not sure about. The rounded tail points to Cooper's.

Thank you in advance, Jim

Interesting photo, indeed. At first glance, they look fairly similarly-sized, but I think that is deceptive as I don't think they are actually flying in the same plane - the accipiter is further away and is therefore bigger than it looks.

As noted, the tail is doubly good for Cooper's, so (I reckon) is the sense of overall bulk and the way the streaking fades on the belly. I'd be quite happy calling this a Cooper's Hawk.

Most of these helpful features (including a fairly wide tail-band) are more easily seen if you can enlarge the picture in Photoshop.

Kestrel and Sharpie have nearly identical wingspans which is much easier to judge in a picture than weight. This bird's wingspan is obviously quite a bit larger than the Kestrel. As Jim said, know predator, although we can't tell if that is what is going on here. Definite Coopers Hawk to me.

Mike

Although sharpies are willing to dive on anything, including birds they aren't predating, I think the accipiter is an immature Cooper's.

Big head, rounded tail, broad streaks on the breast.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back