• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush from sund ?. N. Sweden (1 Viewer)

Ditto to Song Thrush, though I can also hear a Mistle Thrush alarm call distant in the background at 28 sec.

I think Fieldfare is more likely?

It's certainly much commoner than MT in summer anyway and Kiruna, looks to be right at the edge of range for MT?

A

Last edited:
I think Fieldfare is more likely?

It's certainly much commoner than MT in summer anyway and Kiruna, looks to be right at the edge of range for MT?

Sounds classic Mistle rattle to me, not a Fieldfare's slower, softer 'shak-shak'. Only lasts for about half a second or so.

Sounds classic Mistle rattle to me, not a Fieldfare's slower, softer 'shak-shak'. Only lasts for about half a second or so.

Tbh, I find it hard to discern one from the other but I honestly think that Mistle Thrush would be pretty scarce up there. Certainly where we live, a lot further South, Fieldfare is the much commoner bird.

A

We got MT allright. Photo from same day 10 km from were the soundrecording was made (Kiruna).

Loads of Fieldfares around when the recording was done.

\surfan

Attachments

• mt.jpg
    mt.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
That looks a Song Thrush to me;)

Hrmmpff, well.. well, it looked big.. and the dots, not much of arrowshapes there ?

The colour I can't make out because I'm "colourblind".

I can't distinguish them from sound, and not from photos either...:-(

\surfan

Just to add to my previous contribution, we do see Song Thrush in St P but really , Mistle is not a common bird at all and as far North as the poster is, will be even scarcer?

I've listened to a range of calls fom both species and still cannot, with confidence, tell them apart, especially when distance alters the way we hear things.

A

Listening again, and comparing carefully to the Fieldfare sounds it still sounds like a Mistle Thrush to me. (but at c.24 secs not 28). Its a higher pitched slightly harder (more percussive, less harsh) and more rolling rattle.

But it is different ;)

I personally cannot discern the difference, I'd like to hear from any Swedish birder, to ask how common MT is right up there?

Look where Kiruna is, although it is within the breeding rangte of MT, it's right at the edge but Fieldfare are common.

If some can separate these calls, I'll accept that but I can't

Do you see / hear many Fieldfares in Portugal Simon?

A

I personally cannot discern the difference, I'd like to hear from any Swedish birder, to ask how common MT is right up there?

Look where Kiruna is, although it is within the breeding rangte of MT, it's right at the edge but Fieldfare are common.

If some can separate these calls, I'll accept that but I can't

Do you see / hear many Fieldfares in Portugal Simon?

A

I don't see many Fieldfares down here - just about one or two singles/small groups almost every year, usually late autumn - inc. last autumn and was alerted by the familiar chacking amongst the local Mistles at Cabranosa - the raptor watchpoint at Sagres. My teenage years were full of Fieldfares in the UK though my take on this particular sound is based on listening to recordings :t:

I've tried to describe the difference I can hear. I can accept completely if nobody agrees. On different recordings the sound quality etc does alter tones and more, but still, I did take that into account.

Species on the edge of range are not always at low density - though in the case of the northen limits of Mistle Thrush I've no idea!

I'd like to hear from any Swedish birder, to ask how common MT is right up there?

Now I've looked at the range of Mistle in context, yes it would be interesting as if it is a Mistle, then maybe significant locally - someone must know if they breed in Kiruna.

Of course if it is a Fieldfare it would be a lot of fuss over nothing :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back