• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking after my eyes ..... (1 Viewer)

Simmo1111

Hi,

I currently use a pair of Vortex Viper 8x42 bins and am happy with the views I am getting. Not being a 'well seasoned' bin user I dont have enough experience when it comes to the more 'in depth' technicalities of the more expensive bins. I do, however, remember looking through a pair of Nikons and realising that I am missing out on quite a bit !! They were far brighter than my own pair and the magnification did seem to be slightly more despite them being 8x42 just the same as my Vipers.

I am now spending most of my time at a nearby RSPB reserve and am usually sitting in the hides there for up to 6 hours at a time. This leads me to thinking that maybe I should be treating myself to a better pair of bins so that I am not unwittingly straining my eyes by spending such long periods of time staring through a pair of bins which seem to be fine but are possibly causing damage to my eyes.

Does anyone have any opinions as regards a better pair I could purchase please, I,m happy to spend £1000 or so and am currently drawn towards the Leica Ultravids but as I say I,m by no means an experienced user as I have only owned the Vipers up to now.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thankyou.

Before you spend a penny, search through the forums and try to decide what you would be happiest with. There´s a huge range of models out there, from mid-priced (300 sterling or so), right up to over a grand. Do you need waterproof? Do you prefer roof prisms to porros? Get down to a binocular dealers and try out a few models, but don´t buy anything without going to research them a bit more here first. There´s a Birdfair coming up soon somewhere in England, all the top manufacturers will be there hawking their wares. Sorry to be so unspecific, but I was in your position a decade ago and have since spent a stupid amount of money on various models because I didn´t do my research first. I´ll suggest a few models in ascending order of expense, assuming you want to stick with 8x40(ish) format (but remember that everyone has their "fave" binoculars and this could kick off a lot of competitive wrangling!!!;))

Hawke Frontier ED 8x42
Zen-Ray ED 8x42
Avian F 8x42
Nikon EII 8x30/10x35 (superb optics, but porros, and not waterproof)
Nikon HGL 8x42
Nikon SE 8x32 (superb optics, but porro and with eyecups that don´t suit everyone)
Swarovski EL 8.5x42 (These are my faves...you pay for them, but it´s a lifelong investment...by the way, if you look at the Classifieds forum, Bubbs is selling a new-ish pair at a very good price).
Leica Ultravid HD 8x42
Zeiss FL 8x42

Let us know what you are looking at, and as I said, check through the forums and equipment reviews to get other people´s evaluations.
P.S. Here´s a link to Bubbs´advert for his Swaro EL´s....but note, I am not Bubbs, I don´t work for Bubbs, I´m not Bubbs´Mother-in-Law, etc. etc.: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=148138

Last edited:
Hello! I just sold my Vortex Vipers 8x42. They were great for the money a year ago, when I bought them. Way better then equally priced monarchs and friends. However I couldnt accept all the CA and other distortions so I just had to get a better one. I don´t have your budget though so I don´t have the same options.

If you got £1000ish to spare and want a guaranteed great binocular, buy Bubbs EL. (I would if I could afford them). They are and have been the birders bin for many years now with probably one of the best ergonomics. Another candidate is the Zeiss FLs. I think there is a pair out on the classifieds, a bit more expensive but more modern optics then the Swaro and perhaps the best bin out there at the moment.

However if you want to save £600-700, maybe for a new/improved scope?, there are cheaper options that come close to these ones, and maybe even be better at some aspects. Check the "other" sub-section.

Finally, the Leicas are high class, I just "like" the brand. If you feel that they are your type after you tried them, get em.

You might want to do some alignment tests on the Vipers. It is possible they are slightly off.

There are also lots of 7x binoculars that you could try. Less focusing, more like a natural view, if you view things for a long time. Some Zen Rays came out, and there is an inexpensive 6.5x Yosemite porro.

I have had pairs that caused eye strain for some reason or other. Mine had to do with the fact that the near and far did not use the same diopter setting. I set it for far and just used that pair when looking rather far. Otherwise, one eye was always a bit off focus.

Try to borrow a pair you like for a day. Then buy those. Many mail order houses also have return policies. Test them for a week.

I have had the Vipers for about a year now, I have no problem with the current view I get from them but as I said, I realised after looking through the Nikons that there is better out there. I,m figuring that the clearer and brighter the view is , the less strain on the eyes. A short stroll through the local woodland with the Vipers is no problem but my thoughts are that sitting and using them for 6 hours or so in a hide is more work for the eyes and could possibly be straining them without me actually realising ....

Before you spend a penny, search through the forums and try to decide what you would be happiest with. There´s a huge range of models out there, from mid-priced (300 sterling or so), right up to over a grand. Do you need waterproof? Do you prefer roof prisms to porros? Get down to a binocular dealers and try out a few models, but don´t buy anything without going to research them a bit more here first. There´s a Birdfair coming up soon somewhere in England, all the top manufacturers will be there hawking their wares. Sorry to be so unspecific, but I was in your position a decade ago and have since spent a stupid amount of money on various models because I didn´t do my research first. I´ll suggest a few models in ascending order of expense, assuming you want to stick with 8x40(ish) format (but remember that everyone has their "fave" binoculars and this could kick off a lot of competitive wrangling!!!;))

Hawke Frontier ED 8x42
Zen-Ray ED 8x42
Avian F 8x42
Nikon EII 8x30/10x35 (superb optics, but porros, and not waterproof)
Nikon HGL 8x42
Nikon SE 8x32 (superb optics, but porro and with eyecups that don´t suit everyone)
Swarovski EL 8.5x42 (These are my faves...you pay for them, but it´s a lifelong investment...by the way, if you look at the Classifieds forum, Bubbs is selling a new-ish pair at a very good price).
Leica Ultravid HD 8x42
Zeiss FL 8x42

Let us know what you are looking at, and as I said, check through the forums and equipment reviews to get other people´s evaluations.
P.S. Here´s a link to Bubbs´advert for his Swaro EL´s....but note, I am not Bubbs, I don´t work for Bubbs, I´m not Bubbs´Mother-in-Law, etc. etc.: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=148138

Just checked out Bubbs' advert and I have to say I,m very very tempted !!!!!

Anyone any opinions on this particular pair?

Just checked out Bubbs' advert and I have to say I,m very very tempted !!!!!

Anyone any opinions on this particular pair?
Put it this way. I am in the slow process of selling off or giving away all my binos because it´s silly having them and not using them. My Swaro EL 8.5x42 will not go, they´ll be my "only" bins (along with two pairs of compacts). As regards Bubbs´particular pair (if that´s wot u mean;)), only Bubbs can tell you about them but they´re pretty new, if I remember correctly. These are retailing new for 1,300 sterling now. (There is supposed to be a "new" version coming out next year, costing well over 2,100 sterling, but it´s been delayed for nearly two years and in any case I don´t think the EL can be improved upon except in fairly minor and cosmetic ways). I don´t know where Bubbs lives, but can you travel and check them out?

Put it this way. I am in the slow process of selling off or giving away all my binos because it´s silly having them and not using them. My Swaro EL 8.5x42 will not go, they´ll be my "only" bins (along with two pairs of compacts). As regards Bubbs´particular pair (if that´s wot u mean;)), only Bubbs can tell you about them but they´re pretty new, if I remember correctly. These are retailing new for 1,300 sterling now. (There is supposed to be a "new" version coming out next year, costing well over 2,100 sterling, but it´s been delayed for nearly two years and in any case I don´t think the EL can be improved upon except in fairly minor and cosmetic ways). I don´t know where Bubbs lives, but can you travel and check them out?

Its a long way for me to travel but as we speak I am sifting the internet and checking out many reviews of the swaro's and havent found anything to put me off yet !!

Bubbs' advert ...

That is a really good price for a pair of what are reported to be an outstanding pair of bins ....

I can feel myself being drawn towards them ..

Closer and closer ..
Trying to resist ..
I wont buy them ..
I wont buy them ..

I bought them !!!!!

I knew I would .....

Ah well ...

Bubbs' advert ...

That is a really good price for a pair of what are reported to be an outstanding pair of bins ....

I can feel myself being drawn towards them ..

Closer and closer ..
Trying to resist ..
I wont buy them ..
I wont buy them ..

I bought them !!!!!

I knew I would .....

Ah well ...
Have you really bought them? Congratulations!!! You will not be disappointed. Welcome to the EL club....ignore what the others tell you ;). These binos will serve you a long, long time. (And resist the temptation to read reviews of other models, makes, configurations, or to start wondering if "maybe" you need a pair of 10x, or 7x, or 32mm binos instead...that way lies madness and a very compromised credit card....) Tell us what you think when you get them!

Have you really bought them? Congratulations!!! You will not be disappointed. Welcome to the EL club....ignore what the others tell you ;). These binos will serve you a long, long time. (And resist the temptation to read reviews of other models, makes, configurations, or to start wondering if "maybe" you need a pair of 10x, or 7x, or 32mm binos instead...that way lies madness and a very compromised credit card....) Tell us what you think when you get them!

Yes .. the deed is done and we are now sorting out the payment, he finally accepted £3.50 and a pickled egg .. I wish !!!

Looking forward to taking them out to my local reserve !!

I guess a saving of the best part of £600 for a mint conditioned pair of EL's (still boxed and with all the extras and a receipt) is just too good to turn down as I am looking to buy a good pair of bins anyway.

I,ll shout up when I have had a chance to put them to the test and thanks guys for your input.

I,ll be back .......

Yes .. the deed is done and we are now sorting out the payment, he finally accepted £3.50 and a pickled egg .. I wish !!!

I've only looked through a pair of Swaro's inside a store so can't even say what I think of them, but envy is a word that comes to mind.

marty

Looking forward to taking them out to my local reserve !!

I guess a saving of the best part of £600 for a mint conditioned pair of EL's (still boxed and with all the extras and a receipt) is just too good to turn down as I am looking to buy a good pair of bins anyway.

I,ll shout up when I have had a chance to put them to the test and thanks guys for your input.

I,ll be back .......

That sounds a very good deal

I,m a member of the EL club ??

Great !!

I might get a teeshirt with 'SWELOC' across the front (Swarovski EL Owners Club).

Just a thought .......

I,m a member of the EL club ??

Great !!

I might get a teeshirt with 'SWELOC' across the front (Swarovski EL Owners Club).

Just a thought .......

Nah, you´ll just make folk jealous....;). But like I said, you don´t ever need any other binoculars for "specific" uses, your beautiful new Swaros will tackle any job. The only thing you might want, further down the line, is a pair of compacts to carry in your pocket or car, or keep on the window-sill. Looking forward to your opinion of the EL´s when they arrive!

Took my first trip out today with the new Swaro,s and was suitably impressed as expected. A nice bright and crystal clear view and the touch more magnification was noticeable too. A top notch pair of bins !! Compared to my Vipers there are definite differences in brightness.

I will however, add that I,m still impressed with the view offered by the Vipers and I took both bins out with me today to compare the differences. The Swaro,s were obviously better but to anyone wondering about how good the Vipers are ... Bloody good is the answer !!

Obviously as the light intensity drops the Swaro,s will win out but in the light of day the Vipers still score very well.

Oh yes and as an indication of how good the Swaro,s are, a Spoonbill landed across from the hide I was in .. I have never seen a Spoonbill before so it must have been the Swaro,s !!

I wonder what they will attract tomorrow ?

So yes .. A very impressed boy I am ....

Don't tell lies...see you for dinner on Friday and don't forget to bring my son ;)

Bubbs....your loving mummy :t:

Seriously...thanks to all those who posted support. I think Dave realises what a great pair of bins he now owns and they were in immaculate condition. Perhaps the Spoonbill came for a closer look at a pair of fab binoculars.

John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back