• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A disturbing find (1 Viewer)

AJDH

England
At one of the sites I regularly visit in Bahrain, I have so far come across three gulls that have had their bills locked with tie-wraps. What purpose this serves is beyond me and where it happens is also a mystery. One friend had the idea that it may have been done to use the gulls in lures and thus preventing them fighting back. I wondered if fishermen had done it? Whatever it's a nasty habit and I hope for their sake, I don't come across anyone doing this. :C

Attachments

• D3A_6684_800.jpg
    D3A_6684_800.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 105
At one of the sites I regularly visit in Bahrain, I have so far come across three gulls that have had their bills locked with tie-wraps. What purpose this serves is beyond me and where it happens is also a mystery. One friend had the idea that it may have been done to use the gulls in lures and thus preventing them fighting back. I wondered if fishermen had done it? Whatever it's a nasty habit and I hope for their sake, I don't come across anyone doing this. :C

some people will do anything. i don't know what laws they have out there but it may have been worth reporting it. you still could via the net.

some people will do anything. i don't know what laws they have out there but it may have been worth reporting it. you still could via the net.

I don't live in Bahrain but I reported it to the local recorder and the Bahrain Natural History Society. Unfortunately this could have been done in any of the nearby countries of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the UAE or at sea. A ringer from the Bahrain Natural History Society did attempt to find and trap the gulls but was unsuccessful.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back