• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isard - little known manufacturer of gloves (1 Viewer)

Borjam

Spain
Hi :)

I just got a couple of pair of gloves, and I am sure others will appreciate a micro-review. Of course I have no relationship at all with the manufacturer, apart from being a user of their gloves for more than 20 years.

Isard is a small Spanish maker of gloves, they also make gloves, and, of course... gloves!. They have both lightweight Polartec (generally with some sort of windblock) gloves for mild weather, and astronaut type behemoths for ice climbing and extreme cold.

In my case I have purchased two models that I think can be very good for birding. Note that these are not my first Isard pair. I had an excellent lightweight fleece pair that I lost, and I still have a pair of large gloves for Winter mountaineering.

So, it was time to replace the lost ones. I have purchased two models, one of them pretty light, model Vent (Wind in Catalan), http://www.extrem-isard.es/es/ofertas/49-guantes-vent-interior.html and another thicker one, model (Finnland, yes, with a double "n").

Of course the first thing I've tried with the thicker Finnland model is to try to use my binoculars, and it's been a complete success. Of course I wouldn't try to handle a pair of pocket binoculars, but it's perfectly possible to focus with my 8x42 binos.

Both have wind stopping wind block fabrics from Polarter (PowerShield and PowerShield Pro) and they include smooth leather reinforcements. The vent only between the index finger and the thumb (which would be the area mostly punished by walking sticks) and the Finnland includes also a palm reinforcement. I am tempted to suggest them a "birdwatcher" version of the Finnland with an additional small leather pad on the index finger, so that handling binoculars is much more comfortable. The reinforcement in the Vent model really eases binocular focusing.

These gloves are not cheap, but they are manufactured in Spain, near Barcelona, not in China as far as I know. They have a very nice finish, and they are indeed comfortable.

Regarding the temperature ranges, they state "two stars" for the Vent model, three for the Finnland. Which means: two stars from 5 to -5 C, three stars from -5 to -15 C. I think it matches me quite well: I've mountaineered in Winter, even endured a blizzard, with the old pair I lost, and even when wet my hands were still rather comfortable. That old pair was roughly equivalent to the "Vent" model.

A note regarding the Vent model: I have purchased an older model which is in a special offer now. The difference is, the newest model has the seams outside of the glove rather than inside. It can make the glove a bit more comfortable to wear, but it can also impede handling equipment such as a pair of binoculars. So, the most convenient model is the older one, on sale right now.

And maybe the Finnland is a bit overkill, but this hobby sometimes means that you stay in the same place for hours, well exposed to nasty weather, and better safe than sorry :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back