• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Euphonia Ecuador (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hi All,
I strongly believe this is a Thick-billed Euphonia seen together with Golden Tanager. However, I did not see any males at this location (Sachatamia Lodge, August last year). Plenty of Orange-bellied Euphonia around.

Can I have a confirmation or an alternative?

Niels

Attachments

• Euphonia q P1180154.JPG
    Euphonia q P1180154.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 66
Based solely on plate 85 (Tanagers II) of Ridgely & Greenfield, 2001, Vol. 2, your poor euphonia does not have the pale lores of the female Thick-billed Euphonia E. laniirostris, and looks more like a female Orange-crowned Euphonia E. saturata. But the text says that species only occurs in the western lowlands of Ecuador. Back to square one!

Thanks James,
that made me look around a bit more. The following emerged:
1) the bird I had photos of shows indistinct but likely pale grey in the green in the lore area. Possibly an immature?

2) Orange-crowned Euphonia is listed as going to 1600 m in Ecuador, while the lodge I was visiting is at 1700.

3) Most female Euphonias I saw there were clearly Orange-bellied, so different from both species under discussion.

4) I found a picture that while not the main bird in the photo must be a Thick-billed E male, attached. (the bird in the upper right corner, while the bird I really wanted to take a photo of was the Dusky Chlorophonia)

As such, I believe the female that started this thread also is most likely a thick-billed
Niels

Attachments

• Thick-billed Euphonia poor P1180201.JPG
    Thick-billed Euphonia poor P1180201.JPG
    301 KB · Views: 28
Niels

Agree it's probably thick-billed based on grayish lores (photos on the Web suggest this can be much reduced to near invisible), bill shape, uniform unds. 1700 should be high for this sp as (e.g.) both birds of peru and Cornell neotropical website have it at <=1200. (don't have text of birds of Ecuador to hand).

TF

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back