• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sites near Bogota (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Looking for a bit more info on 2 sites near Bogota ( I have the Birdwatching in Colombia book) : Laguna Pedropalo and the BioAndina reserve. Very interested to hear from anyone who's visited either site, especially on an independent trip (finding non-tour trip reports for Colombia pretty sparse!).

Realistically, how long would it take to get by bus from central Bogota to Laguna Pedropalo? Roughly how much would a taxi cost instead? Is Turquoise Dacnis still possible there? (I've found a couple of trip reports where none were seen). Is it posible/easy to arrange entry to the lake area without going into Tena and trying to find the Municipality office? how much better are your chances of the dacnis in the forest by the lake than in the roadside patches??

Realistically, how long would it take to get by bus from central Bogota to the BioAndina reserve? Roughly how much would a taxi cost instead?

love to hear anyone's experiences of either of these sites, and tips of how best to bird them. :)

Realistically, how long would it take to get by bus from central Bogota to the BioAndina reserve? Roughly how much would a taxi cost instead?
QUOTE]

Hi Larry,

I haven't been to Laguna Pedropalo but I spent a morning at BioAndina back in late January. I was there with Jurgen Beckers and we used his car, even then it was at least a 90 minute drive from Bogotá. I think it might be a hassle to get there with public transport, the site is off the main road, the side road to get there is barely passable with a regular car, and it's too long to walk. We had some good temperate/upper subtropical Andean birds, highlighted by Blue-throated Starfrontlet and Black-chested Mountain-Tanager, but missed Flame-winged Parakeet, which is apparently seasonal.

A good alternative if using public transport from Bogotá might be Chicaque, which is also discussed in the birdfinding guide. I was there for a morning in 1999 and had good birding, albeit without any real rarities. I believe Golden-bellied Starfrontlet is now staked out there, and it would give you a shot at Black Inca. Getting there using a public bus should be pretty straightforward.

Hi Larry,

I guess you have read this report: http://users.ugent.be/~hmatheve/hm/COLOMBIA14.html ?
So for Bioandina, you could try the phone number in that report, as I guess the driver will have experience with what birders are after...
I don't have experience with Pedropalo, but I think most is in the site guide (Birdwatching in Colombia, by Florez and Beckers)

And don't believe Cajanuma on the Parakeets, as I know from experience he is an expert in dipping on endemic Colombian Pyrhurra's ;-)

Thanks again guys.

Another question I have is about yellow fever, as I'm getting conflicting information. The Florez and Beckers birdwatching guide says that having an immunisation jab and certificate is necessary, and you get checked for it. General tourist Info for travellers to Colombia on the net says this is not a requirement. Which is true?

I never got checked for it. I guess, when taking internal flights to e.g. Mitu, Leticia or the Pacific lowlands, they can check it but as said, I never got any checks. It's not an expensive vaccination and I would not hesitate just getting it, it's good for 10 years.

Agree with temmie on both fronts (I've never been checked, but it's worth having anyway).

Oh and my expertise in dipping Colombian Pyrrhuras pales in comparison to my expertise in dipping Apolinar's Wren!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back