• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Los Katios (1 Viewer)

jimforjim

Hi,
I'm thinking about going to Los Katios the end of January, and there really isn't any more up-to-date information that I've been able to find other than what's in the Birdwatching in Colombia guide. Does anybody have more recent information than that, e.g. is the park even open to visitors at this time, contact information for arranging visits (ideally email), etc.? Has anybody been able to visit there?
Many thanks in advance, Jim

I would contact the obvious ones (Pablo Florez, Diego Calderon, Jurgen Beckers, etc)
I don't know anyone who has been there, but I sure know enough people who want to go there once some pioneers like you have done the maiden trip and posted a report :)

Thanks Temmie! Actually, I did email the usual suspects, and both Pablo and Jurgen responded - Diego hasn't yet. The gist of it is that Los Katios is currently closed. If you want to see that subset of birds, it seems like it's easier to come from the Panama side into the Darien ... and there are hassles there too. If you haven't read it yet, check out Diego's wonderful Darien trip report from September 2014: http://www.cloudbirders.com/tripreport/repository/CALDERON_Panama_09_2014.pdf. I know Jurgen has been there as well. I pinged a few other people, including Rick Morales of Jungle Treks, who leads expeditions into the Darien, and he wrote:
What I know about Los Katios National Park is that it’s controlled by the FARC and full of land mines. Last year we went as far as the border looking for a crossing route, and were about to do the same from Cacaricas, on the Colombian side, and were strongly advised against it. If anyone would know is the Peace Brigades in Cacaricas, you should give them a ring.
So hmmm...

We're not going to be doing any pioneering next month (sorry), I'm sure that it's a fascinating place, but we'll have to wait a little while.

Jim

Where else are you visiting in Colombia?

As I implied, nothing off the beaten trail. We'll be in Bahia Solano/El Valle for three days, and then 10 days around Medellin, going to a few of the places that we missed the other time we were there. Chestnut-capped Piha Reserve, Las Tangaras, Jardin (second time), Montezuma Road, Otun-Quimbaya and Nevados del Ruiz. We leave on Saturday. I'm hoping that things aren't too dry for us to see a few nice paramo hummers. It'll be nice to have a break, that's for sure. We know a driver from our previous trip who will take us to these places, and we'll use local guides where required.

ey Jim,
sorry for the delay... had responded some 4 email messages asking about Katios (not sure if one was to you) and always my reply is kinda the same: "actually, and unfortunately, Los Katios NNP is not a safe area to visit... there are alternative Choco places for birding with very similar habitats and species".

You are right about Colombian places (Bahia Solano, Anchicayá, San Cipriano) or Panama (Pirre)... after my 2014 scouting trip (the report in CloudBirders) I took clients and had a wonderful trip ( https://goo.gl/V9yRPQ )!!

Let us know how your trip in Colombia is going and we would love to see some photos!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back