• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Costa rica ,Panama and Columbia (2 Viewers)

tringbirds

I am trying to put together a three week package,late march,april, that will take me to see Quetzel and Harpy Eagle plus many of the areas specialities. Has any one arranged such a trip or is there any advice as to where to go.
I have been to the Canopy tower and the oil pipeline road near Panama city and therefore looking for alternative Panamanian sites. All advice gratefully received.

I have just used 2+1/2 week in Costa Rica and could easily have used another week there. Therefore, if you are saying 3 weeks to do all three countries, I don't think I would recommend that.

I did Panama on a three week trip a while back, and if you combine Chiriqui with Darien and possibly a trip to the Azuero (spelling?) peninsula, you should be able to get some really interesting birds. Such a trip would involve going with a company to Darien National park and possibly an expedition type thing for Azuero. Combine that with a west Darien lower site such as San Fransisco reserve (see this thread for my report) and you should be able to get some really interesting birding.

Another interesting idea is to combine Chiriqui with the Costa Rica side of La Amistad park and Osa Peninsula for some interesting birding. I do not think it will be possible to guarantee a Harpy Eagle on a one or two day visit anywhere, with the possible exception of Darien if they know a nest there or in southern lowland Peru where there is a park where you should be able to do so.

Niels

I have just used 2+1/2 week in Costa Rica and could easily have used another week there. Therefore, if you are saying 3 weeks to do all three countries, I don't think I would recommend that.

I did Panama on a three week trip a while back, and if you combine Chiriqui with Darien and possibly a trip to the Azuero (spelling?) peninsula, you should be able to get some really interesting birds. Such a trip would involve going with a company to Darien National park and possibly an expedition type thing for Azuero. Combine that with a west Darien lower site such as San Fransisco reserve (see this thread for my report) and you should be able to get some really interesting birding.

Another interesting idea is to combine Chiriqui with the Costa Rica side of La Amistad park and Osa Peninsula for some interesting birding. I do not think it will be possible to guarantee a Harpy Eagle on a one or two day visit anywhere, with the possible exception of Darien if they know a nest there or in southern lowland Peru where there is a park where you should be able to do so.

Niels

Many thanks for your reply. The more I look into this the greater the sense to restrict what I would like to do as all countries offer a great amount and one could easily spend a 'few' weeks in each place. time for a review!!
Thanks
Doug

Whilst you could easily spend 3 weeks in Colombia, and still want more, it is very possible to combine El Dorado, which has about a third of the Colombian endemics in a single site that is one of the best birding lodges in South America, with Panama.
There are direct flights from Panama to Barranquilla, and from the airport there it is 3.5 hours to the El Dorado lodge.

I think is better to focus on a single country instead of tryinf to visit all them in three weeks. The Resplendant Quetzal is very easy this time of the year in the western highlands of Chiriqui, above the town of Cerro Punta (road to El Respingo, Los Quetzales cabins, entrance road to La Amistad International Park in the town of Las Nubes). As others have already stated, to see an Harpy is much difficult unless you visit an active nest. There are some local guides that should know the status of known nesting sites in Darien province (and probably elsewhere) and can arrange a three-weeks trip to see your targets birds. Try to contact Guido Berguido (www.advantagepanama.com) or Venicio Wilson (www.panabirds.com or http://www.blogger.com/profile/11945238368655934952 ), both very good guides.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back