• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars do you think have the most WOW factor! (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
What binoculars do you think have the most wow factor? I don't mean which ones you think have the superior optics or which ones work the best for how you bird. I mean which binoculars make you go WOW when you bring them up to your eyes. Simply that. My choices in order from the most WOW to less WOW.

1) Nikon 8x30 EII
2) Nikon 8x32 SE
3) Swarovski 8.5x42 Swarovision
4) Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN
5) Leica Trinovid 8x20 BCA(A lot of WOW for their size!)

Last edited:
1. 8.5x42 EL SV
2. 8x42 SLC HD
3. 8x42 Leica UV
4. 8x42 Zeiss Conquest HD

I suspect the Nikon 8x42 EDG would be right up there, just haven't done a side by side comparison with the Nikons myself. I have looked through a pair and they were very impressive at the time in good light.

In fairness I haven't looked through the others on your list.

Last edited:
Dennis,

I don't have numbers 3 and 4 but I have the others. I will wait for the next sunny day to test their "White On White" (WOW) factor. I probably will have to go into a poorer neighborhood to look for white sheets hanging on clothes lines.

This might take a while so please be patient.

Bob

These have a wow factor for different reasons:
1. Nikon 8x30 E II
2. Celestron 9.5x44 ED
3. Unitron (Vixen) 8x32
4. Nikon 6x15 Anniversary model
5. Swarovski Habicht 6x30

For me I will list just the one that I own now that wow's me every time I look through them- the 8x32 SV.

I will have to say when I have owned it and looked through it- the Nikon 8x32 SE did wow me. Just never kept the few samples I owned, because of where I live and did not see having just a fair weather bino. Because we do not have "fair" weather for most of the year.

The Nikon 8x30 EII is nice- but the ergo's did not wow me at all.

I never think "wow" as a result of a binocular. The "wow" factor only comes as a function of what I am looking at THROUGH the binocular.

Optics are a tool; nothing more.

Yeah but I see some pretty darn "wow" tree bark and "wow" blades of grass and "wow" street lamps and.....

Well, you get my drift. :)

The Zikon 30x60. Actually it's not Zikon, there's no name on it, but these things have names like that. And actually it's not 30x60, it says "30x60" on the body, but it's more like 8x22. My cousin got it through eBay for USD 10. When I looked through it I thought, "Wow! They're selling this thing as a binocular!"

Serious Comment One. Recently in Bf. I said this, addressing the formidable FrankD: "... I made up my mind. A bin is for a purpose. I need ... In such quests no longer will I be wowed by the wow factor! It seems more a hindrance - detaining me with wonder. ..." I would agree with Lucznik, above. But it's discussion of such things also that makes Bf. so pleasing.

SC#2. I was most wowed by the Leica Ultravid 8x20. I am unusually impressed by smallnes and lightness. I greatly appreciate the work of the people who design and produce good bins, but if it's big I think, "Well, at that size..."

Last edited:
Dennis,

I don't have numbers 3 and 4 but I have the others. I will wait for the next sunny day to test their "White On White" (WOW) factor. I probably will have to go into a poorer neighborhood to look for white sheets hanging on clothes lines.

This might take a while so please be patient.

Bob
WHAT????

For me I will list just the one that I own now that wow's me every time I look through them- the 8x32 SV.

I will have to say when I have owned it and looked through it- the Nikon 8x32 SE did wow me. Just never kept the few samples I owned, because of where I live and did not see having just a fair weather bino. Because we do not have "fair" weather for most of the year.

The Nikon 8x30 EII is nice- but the ergo's did not wow me at all.
What about the ergos on the Nikon 8x30 EII don't you like?

1. Most Wow. Hawke Frontier ED 10 x 43. Much wow for less than £250
2. Less Wow. Swarovision 10 x 42. Not a £1300 difference so expected more wow.

Last edited:
What about the ergos on the Nikon 8x30 EII don't you like?

Had them (the 8x30 EII's) at the same time I had the Nikon 8x32 SE; and the EII's did not wow me because they did not fit my hands near as well as the SE's. The view through the EII's was very nice ( even though I personally preferred the SE's)- but the edge as far as feel for me certainly went to the SE's.

I could have got used to the EII's feel- but no wow; and I did not care for the sharper metal edges. OTOH- the 8x32 SE's nice rubber and the way the prism housing just filled up and fit my hand was very nice. Just an all around nice package.

If only it (SE) was H2O proof for my climate |:(|

1. Zeiss 8x56 Fl
2. Zeiss 8x32 Fl
3. Meopta 8x32
4. Nikon 8x30 EII
5. Opticron 8x42 HR WP
Oh, god! Henry's favorite binoculars! How is your back carrying that behemoth 56mm Zeiss. The Nikon EII's wow me more than the Zeiss 8x32 FL's. Largely due to the expansive FOV and the good DOF. The Zeiss are nice but at twice the price?

Last edited:
Had them (the 8x30 EII's) at the same time I had the Nikon 8x32 SE; and the EII's did not wow me because they did not fit my hands near as well as the SE's. The view through the EII's was very nice ( even though I personally preferred the SE's)- but the edge as far as feel for me certainly went to the SE's.

I could have got used to the EII's feel- but no wow; and I did not care for the sharper metal edges. OTOH- the 8x32 SE's nice rubber and the way the prism housing just filled up and fit my hand was very nice. Just an all around nice package.

If only it (SE) was H2O proof for my climate |:(|
The SE's are the best optics in the world. Admit it. You know they are better than those SV's. They beat any roof out there.

The SE's are the best optics in the world. Admit it. You know they are better than those SV's. They beat any roof out there.

How did I know that you started this thread just for a chance to spar and pump up what you now have as the best. I must just be telepathic ;)

That or the fact that at least 4 out of 5 that you listed in OP are ones that you currently own.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back