• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica’s weather sealing issues persist (1 Viewer)

dwever

A few years ago Leica was blasted in a review covered in numerous threads on this site for it’s UVHD+ sample and it’s Geovid coming no where near the claimed water resistance, and being the only two alphas in the test to blow it. More recently, Field and Stream has a problem in 2017 with their sample of a 10x42 Noctivid (bolding mine):

“When you bring this binocular to your eyes, the world looks like a better place. They’re that good. With perfect scores in build and ergonomics, resolution, and image quality, the Noctivid is what you get when you combine German glass, precision engineering, and few, if any, limits on production costs. All the moving parts—eyecups, focus wheel, and locking center-dial diopter control—are smooth and positive. The plasma-coated Schott glass delivers a stunning picture with eye-popping detail. At $2,700, the Noctivid got low marks for value. But surprisingly, the binocular also fell down on weather resistance, showing condensation inside the right barrel that lingered for days. Leica says that this is highly unusual and would be covered under warranty, but still, we had to ding it.”

I will say my own 8X42 NVD’s have routinely been in sub-zero weather through two Alaskan Winters without any issues (hard to see against the dark parka) moving back into a warm vehicle or building. My UVHD+ pictured on Robbin Island South Africa never had issues. But they have not had a really good dousing either.

Attachments

• 463DDA40-7168-4077-BD47-B050CBC4D558.jpeg
    463DDA40-7168-4077-BD47-B050CBC4D558.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 27E96679-4B69-4F8F-AB74-003E7371DC15.jpeg
    27E96679-4B69-4F8F-AB74-003E7371DC15.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I am wondering why you brought this topic up for discussion.

It seems you do not have experience with sealing issues yourself.

This post seems out of place, and just a blast on Leica, and uncalled for.

Jerry

Jerry, pouncing posts is sort of a thing with you after the way you similarly went after mksb on or about December 1 as one of numerous examples of your general animus, even telling litebeam on or about Feb 19 to mind his own business and drawing a rebuke from other members across numerous threads asking you to be civil such as dries1 and Upland.

Your post is too cute to be real. I question your post as picking on a particular binocular model, . . . . . I have a strong BS detector.
Jerry

Hey Jerry: My folks used to say “if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all”. I think all of us here, myself included, would benefit from that advice. mskb is being quite earnest and that’s a trait I admire. We don’t need to chastise those who seek advice here.

Or as litebeam posted when he was offended by a different post:

Completely unacceptable posting, ND. Classless. . . .

I am not trying to bash Leica as I have purchased Leica’s 4 to 1 over any other manufacturer.

This is called for as this is the third high-end Leica that has had trouble with weather sealing with two of them in utter failure (link to test with two out of two Leica failures https://www.allbinos.com/18.1-binoculars_review-summary-Endurance_test_of_8x42_binoculars.html). I feel both potentially alarmed on this issue and fortunate with my own samples, and I’m wondering why Zeiss and Swaro never seem to have this issue.

If my concerns are overblown, well good, I own Leicas, and the extent of this issue if any is what I’m trying to learn from this community.

Attachments

• E80EB322-E838-4AD5-8231-F1FA149E8889.jpeg
    E80EB322-E838-4AD5-8231-F1FA149E8889.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
If in your first post you are referencing the issues found in AllBinos' tests, I believe those were explained by old stock being improperly stored?

I've yet to have an issue with my 7x42 UVHD despite using it in sub-zero temperatures and during a few times of unseasonably warm, humid temperatures. I've only had it 3 months, however, so time will certainly tell; that said, I've so far had good experience with Leica CS regarding questions and concerns.

The problems with reviews such as this they only look at 1-2 samples most times, and who knows how those samples were stored/handled.

Justin

My 2004 7X42 Ultravid has been soaked countless times without fault. It's why I use it on the ocean. I know several Leica owners who have never had a problem with anything.

The other brands mentioned have all experienced similar issues but there's no point in discussing it because these are not systemic problems. Leica produces superb waterproof binoculars as do Swarovski and Zeiss.

Troubadoris has had her Ultravid 8x32 HD since 2012 and we have spent many days in pouring rain without the slightest sign of water ingress. This is not the same as dunking them in 1m of water for 24 hours but it is the kind of tough conditions that we need our binos to withstand and these have done so.

Lee

Well, I stand by my comment, you put a big jab on Leica, that was not called for.

So, I called you out on that. That is what it was all about, I felt it was unfair to the company.

Jerry

Check out the Noctivid weather sealing test https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8783PsIMo1M

I experienced a water seal failure with one of my Ultravids after washing it with warm water and dove soap in the sink.

That’s one failure out of the five I’ve owned and washed under the tap.

Ultravid HD 10x32, Ultravid HD 7x42, Ultravid HD+ 8x42, Ultravid HD 10x42, Ultravid HD+ 10x42

For what it’s worth had a similar problem with a Bushnell Elite 12.5x50 after it was serviced for a wonky focuser.

Attachments

• 822DFA70-F2DD-42C6-8B27-336B4CDAB5F3.jpg
    822DFA70-F2DD-42C6-8B27-336B4CDAB5F3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Check out the Noctivid weather sealing test https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8783PsIMo1M

I experienced a water seal failure with one of my Ultravids after washing it with warm water and dove soap in the sink.

That’s one failure out of the five I’ve owned and washed under the tap.

Ultravid HD 10x32, Ultravid HD 7x42, Ultravid HD+ 8x42, Ultravid HD 10x42, Ultravid HD+ 10x42

For what it’s worth had a similar problem with a Bushnell Elite 12.5x50 after it was serviced for a wonky focuser.

Yep, that's how nitrogen filled binoculars should work.
And I don't think that Leica is worse than any of the other european brands.

Would never consider buying a Leica Product. Customer service according to those who have dealt with them is very poor.

Mark, like Pileatus I have also had extremely positive experiences of Leica service (Leica UK) in the past few years, and there have been many reports of the fact that Leica has well and truly pulled itself up by the bootstraps in that area.

Are you really denying yourself the wonderful world of Leica because of that? Go on - treat yourself! ;)

Would never consider buying a Leica Product. Customer service according to those who have dealt with them is very poor.

Well, I'd prefer you not speak for me.

I've had three occasions in 30 some years of Leica/Leitz binocular ownership to avail myself of their (USA) customer service.

All three times they delivered beyond my expectations.

And FWIW, except for the Leitz I've always washed my Leicas under a faucet with soap and never had an issue.

A few years ago Leica was blasted in a review covered in numerous threads on this site for it’s UVHD+ sample and it’s Geovid coming no where near the claimed water resistance, and being the only two alphas in the test to blow it. More recently, Field and Stream has a problem in 2017 with their sample of a 10x42 Noctivid (bolding mine):

“When you bring this binocular to your eyes, the world looks like a better place. They’re that good. With perfect scores in build and ergonomics, resolution, and image quality, the Noctivid is what you get when you combine German glass, precision engineering, and few, if any, limits on production costs. All the moving parts—eyecups, focus wheel, and locking center-dial diopter control—are smooth and positive. The plasma-coated Schott glass delivers a stunning picture with eye-popping detail. At $2,700, the Noctivid got low marks for value. But surprisingly, the binocular also fell down on weather resistance, showing condensation inside the right barrel that lingered for days. Leica says that this is highly unusual and would be covered under warranty, but still, we had to ding it.”

I will say my own 8X42 NVD’s have routinely been in sub-zero weather through two Alaskan Winters without any issues (hard to see against the dark parka) moving back into a warm vehicle or building. My UVHD+ pictured on Robbin Island South Africa never had issues. But they have not had a really good dousing either.
BTW, how do you get eye popping detail with fog in one scope? I wonder how this sample was treated, tested or handled.

Perhaps the scope problem should be addressed in the appropriate sub-forum... obviously some have had at one time or another a problem with a premium glass with water infiltration, (moisture) it can happen on any brand/model. However, it appears to not happen that often or at all.
My experience is that of older premium glass in which the seals have deteriorated over time 15-20 years, some infiltration of moisture has been evident, the key is to get it serviced right away, or preemptive service on an older premier glass if bought used.

But if it happens on a cheap Chinese bin, and under warranty, they will replace it with a new one.
Instead of Warranty they should call it the Replacement Policy.

Andy W.

Which those? You can do as you like, but claims like this always seem doubtful about a reputable company.

I've used Leica service twice in the last 15 years or so, getting a BN bino and even a 1975 SLR(!) cleaned and adjusted, with excellent and prompt results for both, the more recent bino at no charge.

Well this thread has put my mind at ease and raised my confidence in Leica’s weather sealing. I am returning today from viewing bald eagles in Haines Alaska, and hope to come back in late November when there is a concentration of four to five thousand about fifteen miles outside the small town.

The eagle picture is by the Alaska State Government. The other is my ride on Harris Air today between Haines and Juneau.

Attachments

• 053F3C18-343C-49F6-990B-B08689D0D6C8.png
    053F3C18-343C-49F6-990B-B08689D0D6C8.png
    178.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 694BDED1-C37B-4609-B8CB-D9EBCCDD55C8.jpg
    694BDED1-C37B-4609-B8CB-D9EBCCDD55C8.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 71
Well this thread has put my mind at ease and raised my confidence in Leica’s weather sealing. I am returning today from viewing bald eagles in Haines Alaska, and hope to come back in late November when there is a concentration of four to five thousand about fifteen miles outside the small town.

The eagle picture is by the Alaska State Government. The other is my ride on Harris Air today between Haines and Juneau.

Hi Dwever,

I spent a couple of days in Haines in the summer of 1967 (Centennial year) at their Strawberry Festival. Didn't see many eagles there at that time but saw plenty of them otherwise. I was working on a Purse Seiner out of Ketchikan. It was a good year to be there except the salmon run was low that year.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back