Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Withymoor - Amblecote, Stourbridge.....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 394 votes, 4.90 average.
Old Thursday 2nd July 2020, 09:30   #1526
rollingthunder

Cute...

Wren-ch feeding young

Laurie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB97298D-1ECB-458A-8A3D-DEDFBE5E6628.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	731203  
Old Thursday 2nd July 2020, 11:17   #1527
rollingthunder

Looks like a coupla House Spanners - don’t know if nuts are a good idea

Good birding -

Laurie
Old Thursday 2nd July 2020, 12:58   #1528
Ian Byrnes

Spanners tend to 'bolt' their nuts !
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 12:44   #1529
rollingthunder

This needs its own 'thread' mate

Laurie
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 12:47   #1530
rollingthunder

More or less the same daily pattern this week but i have varied the times of the daily visit to Fens Pools from late-morning to mid-afternoon the problem being that the local 'pondlife' is up and about once the Sun has warmed their blood.....

Todd dropped on a party of Common Sandpipers - 7 in total which is a good find, i personally have had no more than 5. I will post the notes on the dedicated thread for a change.

En-route i cycle along a section of the canal from the Link 51 unit at Merry HIll for about 500 yards until i exit at the Waterfront. This avoids Brierley Hill High St and God's misshapes counter and takes in a nice scrubby section behind the light-industrial units. it is usually good in early-Spring for Warblers and i have had upto 6 species and 3 Wheatears in one memorable session - not bad for a scrutty bit of the Black Country. The much-trumpeted new monorail is due to go over a small section of that but mercifully it will remain as a reminder of what Merry Hill used to be like before terminal consumerism and the Richardson Twins arrived...

One sp i have not recorded there is Reed Warbler and along the offside section is a tiny bit of Phragmites about 5 yards long and hey presto yesterday and the day before was a 'chugging' Acro - more variety than i usually hear.....so i hung around a bit longer to safely eliminate Marsh Further along is the 'Williams Pool' a small Typha and Salix fringed area that at the moment is running quite dry probably due to evaporation but it is exposing a lot of mud and has a distinct 'Wood Sand' feel about it The pool is fenced on all sides and currently there is a brood of 2 nearly fledged Coot and a Moorhen on eggs - inside is the restricted but safe World of the young Coot.

Good birding -

Laurie

Attached: Acro habitat, Williams Pool and 'The Prisoner'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ScreenHunter_2746 Jul. 03 12.16.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	731268  Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_2747 Jul. 03 12.17.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	731269  Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_2748 Jul. 03 12.48.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	731270  

Last edited by rollingthunder : Friday 3rd July 2020 at 12:51.
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 13:30   #1531
Ian Byrnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
This needs its own 'thread' mate

Laurie
Just spotted this yellow hammer on a feeder ! 1st one this year.

Name:	imgonline-com-ua-resize-lG47AcsWJzu.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	731274
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 15:24   #1532
matt green
Norfolkman gone walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
More or less the same daily pattern this week but i have varied the times of the daily visit to Fens Pools from late-morning to mid-afternoon the problem being that the local 'pondlife' is up and about once the Sun has warmed their blood.....

'.
Is it that bad?

I've yet to have the pleasure of visiting this area, I mostly stick to the more scenic parts of the canal between wolverley and gothersley and clent/walton hill etc..I have to confess urban birding doesn't come naturally to me but those pools do seem to produce some nice sightings...

..plus every nawfokmn needs somewhere wet to dip his webbed toes into every now and then!

Matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 16:22   #1533
rollingthunder

No not really - i make more of it as my ex-wife still works there and my son works at Davicon by ‘the Aldi’...

The locals i see pre-breakfast are friendly and affable like a lot of Black Country folk imo. Quite a few dog walkers and retired ‘Snetters’. There is however an underbelly of feckless types that do not appear to be gainfully employed, studying etc - Pensneet’s i would term them. Groups drinking from tins, weed-heads etc i am sure you are familiar with the type. The days of rampant bike scramblers, burning the plastic off of Copper wire and Gyppo horses tethered everywhere are mercifully over. The Police do arrest and have crushed motorbikes, sadly not with their riders still sitting on them, whilst the Local Authority revoked the free grazing licenses that ‘Oss owners had awarded themselves. That said there is always the odd idiot and i had to chase 3 airgunners last week

My ‘quality’ time is 6-10 when there are very few about and in good weather, with sometimes my Dog and the odd cigar, it can be very pleasant. More coverage is what is needed as 2 of the most regular are unfortunately no longer with us. My own visits can be as little as an hour which is a tiny vignette and Todd Chater works full-time. Over the years it has produced good birds and will continue to do so particularly if coverage increases. I live in Stourbridge so my local patches are by nature (no pun intended) urban. I derive a lot of pleasure from seeing species that would not be particularly noteworthy on the coast or on local well-managed reserves like UW etc so it doesn’t take much to make your day. I actually find a large % of my nearby traditional Shire countryside of little interest.

I have managed several good records this Spring instead of being cooped up, obeying orders and developing Rickets. My Vitamin D levels are at an all-time high and had breeding Ravens at Merry Hill’s Waterfront - how good’s that for urban birding

Good birding -

Laurie
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 16:29   #1534
rollingthunder

Somebody has too much time..... #yellowhammer

Laurie
Old Wednesday 8th July 2020, 08:20   #1535
rollingthunder

It’s here!!!

Haven’t done much for 4 days due to 2 each of strong winds and then miserable lighting and rain. I simply do not enjoy it and the effort on a bike is simply not worth it for me. If i lived on the coast, as i have done, then it is a different game - the World is your Oyster.....catcher

Last night this arrived - nice to exchange precipitation for anticipation...

‘Mighty tome’ springs to mind and ‘simply stunning’ does this 2-volume beast no justice and is an insult. Nearly 2 decades in the making i am confident it will see me out without a 2nd edition materialising. I anticipate any updates to be digitally available as is the case with other works.

It weighs in at nearly a whopping 6 pounds per volume!

I will not be ploughing thru it anytime soon but rather pick a species as and when. The wealth of info, as you would expect, is gob-smacking to say the least and the 5k (no not definition but number) of images represent all plumages, ages, subspecies, forms etc - there will be mistakes and issues with lumping and splitting but not from me as i am not qualified as such.

I will simply enjoy the book.

At £150 it is not expensive imo but i waited until i saw it at £115 and literally was going to order when the Bride reminded me that her son works at Waterstone’s, Merry Hill and gets 50% discount on selected books. This qualified and i paid a measly 75 quid with free P+P and NO i cannot get the same deal twice for the same book. It is digitally available for about what i paid for it but it's not the same and if i require info on a certain species when going abroad i will simply take a copy on my Ipad with the camera.

I have a couple more field-guides arriving and will post accordingly

Good birding -

Laurie

Attached: with Ipad for scale and who would have thought adult Rosy Starling had a Blue throat? (Presumably a feature during the breeding season).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B69DEC2F-F793-4863-8D4A-8BDED1074B8A.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	731690  Click image for larger version

Name:	618D2FB0-A016-4B77-B1E7-96C3D99E0C87.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	731691  

Last edited by rollingthunder : Wednesday 8th July 2020 at 08:23.
Old Monday 13th July 2020, 09:27   #1536
rollingthunder

A frustrating week with the mix of strong winds followed by rain so not much to report really. Stuck local yesterday with Sheepwash and Fens Pools being hit but apart from that it has been FP and Withymoor as and when.....

Still a few Warblers singing at Fens Pools comprising Blackcap, Whitethroat and Chiffchaff. No other species heard apart from a sporadic Reed Warbler still present adjacent to the Williams pool. Todd had another further down the Delph in addition to a solo Common Sandpiper on the Fens Grove Pool. Swifts present along with a solitary Sand Martin midweek. Juvenile Gulls are starting to show with a brace of BHG's on Friday and a party of 7 LBB's ystda - eyes peeled now for a YLG and GBB.

Yesterday i paid a visit to Sheepwash. If it was a couple of miles closer to FP i would hit it at the same time but it is about 5 miles away and a busy traffic route. Warbers singing included 2 Reed. A solitary female Shoveler was present along with a brood of Tufties. A smart adult Little Egret hawked around the far island and more juvenile BHG's present - easily the nicest plumage imo with lots of Ginger on the head and neck. This phase doesn't last long for those wishing to photograph as the post-juv moult kicks in quickly.

Back via Netherton Razzer and Fens Pools with nothing else to add...

I perused the Spring totals for the Batumi raptor count and most impressive it was. The official Autumn count has been cancelled already which is bad news for the records, the birders and the local economy in Sakhalvasho - a pity what with the new Obs only opened last year. I will not bother as although i treat it as an annual 'fix' at the moment part of the reason for visiting Georgia is sitting birding and chatting with kindred spirits particularly as i spend the bulk of the year birding on my own from Mon-Fri. Tarifa/Gibraltar is plan B and Maroc plan C. I would quite like to try the Straits of Messina but that depends on a plan - Eilat will deffo be done next March.

They recorded 700k+ raptors from March 1st > May 25th the bulk being Honeys and BKites but several thousand large Eagles including many 'Spotteds', Steppe and Eastern Imps, WTE and Goldie, Harriers aplenty plus a range of passerines including parties of Rosy Pastor, Rollers plus larger Cranes and Storks - magical, the stuff of dreams. If you haven't visited then you must - Autumn for me the numbers and variety is simply phenomenal! Sights like our common Sparrowhawk, my favourite UK raptor, migrating in parties of 10-30 with day counts this Spring of 1600+ are pulse-racing.

Good birding -

Laurie

Attached: stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ScreenHunter_2749 Jul. 13 08.47.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	731982  Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_2750 Jul. 13 08.48.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	731983  Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_2751 Jul. 13 08.48.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	731984  Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_2752 Jul. 13 08.49.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	731985  Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_2753 Jul. 13 08.50.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	731986  

Old Tuesday 21st July 2020, 21:06   #1537
matt green
Norfolkman gone walkabout

Solitary little egret currently at Stakenbridge pool, west hagley..

Matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 11th August 2020, 09:28   #1538
Allan N

There was a young Great Crested Grebe on Withymoor pool yesterday evening. It looked quite settled so may hang around?
Al
Old Tuesday 25th August 2020, 10:11   #1539
rollingthunder

Nice bird Matt - having travelled to Devon to twitch one in the 80's i never tire of seeing them

I have had an adult YLG on that pool and about 5 years ago there were 3 Firecrests around that cluster of buildings

Hi Al - that Grebe arrived the morning of the 9th i texted Paul Legge
GCG is usually one annual record so like the LTD you jammed in.....again

There is talk of dredging and putting the silt behind a bund to deepen for diving species like Tufties etc - the talk is ongoing, a Reedbed has been mooted. I was asked re: location i.e. one of the other corners or extend the existing one? I pointed out that there, technically, is not a Reedbed present it is a Typha bed i.e. Bulrush and that both the common Greater and the scarcer Lesser is present - something that they did not realise

Good birding -

Laurie
Old Tuesday 25th August 2020, 10:15   #1540
rollingthunder

It's time to start posting again.....

Despite higher than your average birders' vitamin D levels, i am practically sweating the stuff, i really have not seen anything that i would consider updating even weekly on here but all good things have to come to an end

I have resisted the Lammy but we have a carload for the coming weekend if it hasn't been re-wilded, shot or poisoned. None of this solo travelling - St Greta of Thunberg (remember her) would not approve. I personally have found nothing since the Fens Pools Med Gull so another goodie is long overdue

Warblers are on the move and there is an Autumn feel to it - this weeks weather helps and todays residue of Storm Francis is a reminder. The media says 'unseasonal', i am old enough to remember the Fastnet disaster - the current generation of birders would think i am referring to their Internet speed. Fastnet celebrated its 41st anniversary about 10 days ago, i was overseeing a 50k tree planting project at Jumbles Reservoir just outside Bolton, Lancs. We got back to find out large cook tent blown several hundred yards away - very unseasonal.

Parties of Chiffies can be heard so it is worth listening for an associated sp e.g. Greenish, for those unfamiliar i recommend Xeno-Canto Almost daily visits to Fens Pools have produced little although singles of Common Sandpiper appeared every other day last week. Large Gulls continue to build but numbers vary wildly with about 75 present most days but over 400 last week. I had my first Juvenile YLG on the 16th Aug bang on time for post-breeding dispersal birds - no pic as battery was flat. Ravens are more frequent and i have recorded Swift every day over the last few weeks and on Sunday at Sheepwash. 3 visits to Grimmers in July produced only a Yellow Wagtail.....

With no light at the end of holiday tunnel a depressing Autumn and Winter looms. Post-vacation lockdown would be an issue for the Bride not that i would pay any attention - my fans would expect no less than a subtle combination of common sense and 2 fingers. Morocco is a possibility or the Canaries but lockdown issues aside if i travel to another country then i want to feel i am in that country and not forced to muzzle up - something i have not done over here as i am medically exempt.....i am actually but i do not have to and have not had to explain it to anybody

Good birding -

Laurie

Attached:
Raven Merry Hill
Hettie Withymoor
Hybrid Curlew x LBB Fens Pools
Fox Williams Pool Delph
Common Sandpiper Fens Pools
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ScreenHunter_2757 Aug. 25 09.40.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	735209  Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_2758 Aug. 25 09.41.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	735210  Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_2759 Aug. 25 09.42.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	735211  Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_2760 Aug. 25 09.42.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	735212  Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_2761 Aug. 25 09.43.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	735213  

Last edited by rollingthunder : Tuesday 25th August 2020 at 10:18.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: