• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

Another colour ringed Black-headed Gull was seen on the 3/7/20 from the public footpaths around Upton Warren, (Yellow 2KTV). I have had a reply from the ringers - Ringed in Essex in March 2015 as a 3rd year old or older, in 2016 and 17 it was in Latvia, 2018 it was seen around the West Mids and Glos.

Q. What is the current position regarding public access to the Upton Warren Reserves please following/during Covid 19? No updates appear to have been issued since 29 June 2020?

Reply. Thank you for your email. Upton Warren is still closed unfortunately.
I will mention the update on website to communication.
Pauline Gardner P/T Administration Assistant

Latest from the Trust:

Update 23rd July 2020
We are aware that many people wish to visit Upton Warren, which currently remains closed along with Lower Smite Farm. Whilst we recognise that people really want to get back to this wonderful nature reserve, we do not believe that it is currently safe to re-open it. We need to consider the safety and protection of all our staff, volunteers, neighbours and visitors and our reasons for keeping Upton Warren closed, for now, include but are not limited to:

We lack the resources to regularly clean the hides to reduce the chances of Covid-19 transmission
We lack the resources to provide a booking system to ensure those who travel to Upton Warren will be able to spend time in the hides or will be able to socially distance in the limited viewing areas outside of the hides at both The Moors and The Flashes
We are unable to ensure that socially distancing and the wearing of face masks is taking place
We need to take into account the needs of Aztec Adventure, whose land has to be crossed in order to reach The Flashes
We understand that people may be comfortable with the personal risk they may encounter should we open the reserve. However, as the legally responsible owner, we have to balance our ability to provide a safe place to visit based on our legal responsibilities and the capacity to meet those requirements. At the moment, we don’t see an option to safely open Upton Warren. As things change we will continue to review the situation and will advertise any changes here.

Thank you for your understanding.

Flashes: 22 July 2022

2 sp. Dunlin, 2 Common Sandpipers, 1 Green Sandpiper still a dozen Avocet + young and a third pair of Common Terns has raised two chicks. Several Lesser Whitethroats recently fledged in hedgerow by farm.

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpeg
    IMG_1086.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1087.jpeg
    IMG_1087.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 91
Flashes 28 July 2020:

Three Cattle Egrets on the Flashes at 12.30 viewable from the John Corbet Way public footpath.

IF VISITING PLEASE STICK CLOSELY TO THE PUBLIC FOOTPATH AND DO NOT WANDER OFF THE PATH WHICH COULD CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH FARMER (ARTHUR ALWAYS SAID SHE COULD BE FUNNY!)

Flashes 28 July 2020:

Three Cattle Egrets on the Flashes at 12.30 viewable from the John Corbet Way public footpath.

IF VISITING PLEASE STICK CLOSELY TO THE PUBLIC FOOTPATH AND DO NOT WANDER OFF THE PATH WHICH COULD CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH FARMER (ARTHUR ALWAYS SAID SHE COULD BE FUNNY!)

Egrets have left Flashes. They have been seen locally in Stoke Prior feeding amongst cattle and are likely commuting between the cattle field and the flashes.

CATTLE EGRETS......led me a merry dance all afternoon.....finally got them in the fields behind the School at Stoke Prior ...still present at 7pm....

Attachments

• _MG_4752.jpg
    _MG_4752.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 91
  • _MG_4809 (2).JPG
    _MG_4809 (2).JPG
    152 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Flashes this morning- 2 Spotted Flycatcher by the muck heap and 1 seen later by the 3rd flash,4 Common Sand, 2 Green Sand, 9 Avocet, 8 Curlew and a few Common Terns. 2 Red Kite and a Redstart were reported.
Seen from public footpath, reserve is still closed until the virus goes away probably in the next 2 or 3 years?

Middleton is open - what is the difference? #askingforafriend;)

Laurie -

P.S. i emailed an enquiry about an historical aspect of another Trust reserve..........in April - pray what are they actually doing during ‘lockdown’?

Middleton has wide paths and the capacity for a one way system on the narrow paths. There is no ability for a one way system at UW and the paths are not wide.

With all due respect Julie i have been using UW for over 40 years and have never had a problem negotiating the paths. They are like any other path or track - if you are walking towards one another there are plenty of pull-ins to get out of the way. There seems to be plenty of non-birders using the place from what i hear so maybe more actual birders present will augment the 2 appointed ones?

Closed hides doesn’t mean you cannot bird if you really want to have a mooch.

The Trust should stop Petal-dicking imo - other organisations have listened to their subscribers whilst they still subscribe.

How long is this piece of string going to be?

I will now look for my Tin hat;)

Good Birding -

Laurie:t:

Attached: Me this Spring;)

Attachments

• 1A28A956-1A3E-48E3-9878-FBED64517E5F.jpeg
    1A28A956-1A3E-48E3-9878-FBED64517E5F.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 117
The WWT need to get the volunteers back to cut the hedges in places to see over and cut the grass to widen the paths then the reserve could be reopened, surely the hides could be used safely if notices were put up to say keep 1-2 metres apart? there is no problem using the hides at Belvide. If people think the paths are too narrow then they should look at the public footpath around the flashes, now that's narrow but is gradually being widened.
Birds seen in and around the flashes this morning included 3 Avocet, 1 Ringed Plover, 1 Dunlin, 1 Ruff, 1 Curlew, 2 Green Sand, 3 Common Sand, 1 Common Tern, several Sand and House Martins, 3 Redstart, 1 Cetti's Warbler, 1 Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Whitethroat, 1 Blackcap, Willow Warblers and Chiffchaff and 4 Spotted Flycatchers.

Just wondering which is the preferable approach for the public footpath - from the A38 or from the south?

It's probably nearer from the A38 but parking is a problem at either end, it's a pity the reserve carpark isn't open. I believe some park at Webbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back