• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seri Manjung Eagle ID please (1 Viewer)

Larry, CSE might go high but MSE don't go low, this is the point so any overlap would be above 1000m afaik which is not the case with the OP is it?

We only saw CSE at Danum Valley and Sukau according to my report.

Sighting here between ca 700 and 1000 m a.s.l so not necessarily restricted to above 1000m

Observer notes the MSE as not only darker but, ‘stockier’ than CSE so clearly can be separated on structure.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...pent-Eagle_with_a_first_record_for_Kalimantan

Where have you seen Mountain Serpent Eagle Andy?

Sighting here between ca 700 and 1000 m a.s.l so not necessarily restricted to above 1000m

Observer notes the MSE as not only darker but, ‘stockier’ than CSE so clearly can be separated on structure.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...pent-Eagle_with_a_first_record_for_Kalimantan

Where have you seen Mountain Serpent Eagle Andy?

I haven't seen it, it's far from common, not a sniff at Kinabalu when were were there.

Check Borneo reports and see how few have it.

Regarding ID, what you wrote above, isn't precisely what he said is it?

'Theugh (sic) this species may be difficult to distinguish from the Crested Serpent-eagle S. cheela, the bird
seen on 26 November was believed to be darker and stockier than the latter species,'

Hardly iron clad Deb?

Last edited:
'Theugh (sic) this species may be difficult to distinguish from the Crested Serpent-eagle S. cheela, the bird
seen on 26 November was believed to be darker and stockier than the latter species,'

Hardly iron clad

Maybe not but it was enough for someone very experienced in identifying Crested Serpent Eagles to know it wasn’t one, which was my point - it’s no more ‘iron clad’ than the assertions you are making about altitudes. Lets face it, none of us has any experience of this species ...

Maybe not but it was enough for someone very experienced in identifying Crested Serpent Eagles to know it wasn’t one, which was my point - it’s no more ‘iron clad’ than the assertions you are making about altitudes. Lets face it, none of us has any experience of this species ...

They're not my assertions though are they, they are observations of the species, over a long period of time versus a single observation which bucks the altitudinal trend and with less than ideal views. This bird has been ID'd, mainly on the call it seems to me?

Andy I really don’t know what your issue or point is - I don’t doubt that these two species are very similar and call is a good separating criteria of birds not seen clearly. However, there are morphological differences that have been cited in more than one reference so it’s disingenuous to imply I am suggesting this based on one source. Larry cited a source above too which notes
“The Mountain Serpent-eagle is distinguished from the Crested Serpent-eagle by having longer wings, a darker plumage with black throat and broader white band on the tail. When seen flying from a long distance, it is probably easier to id from the voice, with the final note of the Mountain being more sustained.”
also at close range https://horukuru.blogspot.com/2015/07/mountain-serpent-eagle.html in addition to the previous observer believing the bird is ‘stockier’ than a CSE so not contradicting other observations..
and here http://animal.memozee.com/view.php?tid=2&did=41100

However, as like with every other person who has commented, I have never seen a Mountain Serpent Eagle, so like you can only go what I find on the internet and from personal experience of iding Crested Serpent Eagles in other locations.

I’ve not really anything else to add - the original ID is correct so that’s all that matters.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back