• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

warbler ID form Jeddah (1 Viewer)

Does this help?

It appears to me have shallow emarginations to p3 and p4 from this angle - re. the utcs, probably not the best angle to judge them, from the side at eye level or from below is better.

There are emarginations visible, yes. Nothing much on P5 as far as I can see but BRW doesn't always have an emarginated P5 as per Grahame. Is it my imagination, or can we see a tiny P1 sticking out (I think it's missing a primary covert)? Maybe it is a Blyth's Reed after all and its tatty appearance could be due to moult. It definitely has a paler brown iris, which should rule out an Iduna.

I must say the warbler from the 19th also looks good for Blyth's.

I don't know about movements of this species in the western half of the Arabian Peninsula but a few years back my colleagues and I in the UAE discovered that BRW does pass through the UAE in small numbers between mid-August and late September. I think there have been 4-5 sightings this autumn.

Duha, could you send these images to Greg Askew?

There are emarginations visible, yes. Nothing much on P5 as far as I can see but BRW doesn't always have an emarginated P5 as per Grahame. Is it my imagination, or can we see a tiny P1 sticking out (I think it's missing a primary covert)? Maybe it is a Blyth's Reed after all and its tatty appearance could be due to moult. It definitely has a paler brown iris, which should rule out an Iduna.

I must say the warbler from the 19th also looks good for Blyth's.

I don't know about movements of this species in the western half of the Arabian Peninsula but a few years back my colleagues and I in the UAE discovered that BRW does pass through the UAE in small numbers between mid-August and late September. I think there have been 4-5 sightings this autumn.

Duha, could you send these images to Greg Askew?

both Blyth's and Basra pass by my garden. Blyth more regular in Spring, they do appear this time not always. BRW was very very regular between Aug and Sep, but lately it became very rare.
form what i saw its a bit larger than Blyth, i mean the one on the water plate, the other one is Blyth.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back