• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual Large Shearwater, possible Streaked Shearwater in Biscay? (1 Viewer)

davidearlgray

davidearlgray
Hi all, does anybody have any information on research or resources on Streaked Shearwater.
This is because on a recent trip in the Bay of Biscay the group I was with saw a large shearwater which might have possible been a Streaked Shearwater.
If you any information relating on the subject on this bird can PM me please.
I look forward to your replies,
Cheers,
Dave.

Can't for the life of me find the Birding World it was in, but there was an excellent article in an old Birding World on Streaked Shearwater off Eilat, where 3 turned up with Cory's. Gave a good account of a rare comparison between Streaked and Cory's and also discussed pitfalls of worn Cory's. As I recall much thinner bill, and the extent of dark on underwing are important among plenty of other features.

Jan

Can't for the life of me find the Birding World it was in, but there was an excellent article in an old Birding World on Streaked Shearwater off Eilat, where 3 turned up with Cory's. Gave a good account of a rare comparison between Streaked and Cory's and also discussed pitfalls of worn Cory's. As I recall much thinner bill, and the extent of dark on underwing are important among plenty of other features.

Jan

Here is the Birding World reference:

Streaked Shearwater in Israel - A New Western Palearctic Bird
Birding World Vol:5(9):344-347

Useful paper here: http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/wb/v30n01/p0049-p0052.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back