• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May 2018 at Gramborough (1 Viewer)

firstreesjohn

31: Stonechat ♂ (in a.m.).
30: nowt of note.
29: Reed Warbler (desultory singing).
28: Redstart ♀.
27: Redstart ♀ (foy), (Spotted Flycatcher reported briefly).
26: nowt of note (early a.m.). Reed Warbler (foy, singing, in a’noon).
25: (SPOTTED FLYCATCHER (foy), 3 Willow Warblers - other observer, in early evening).
24: nowt of note.
23: nowt of note.
22: nowt of note. This is now a whole week, in the second half of May, with not a single migrant. Thank Gawd for insects !
21: nowt of note.
20: nowt of note.
19: nowt of note.
18: nowt of note.
17: nowt of note.
16: nowt of note.
15: prob. SHORT-TOED LARK (reliable & highly experienced observer).
14: nowt of note.
13: Chiffchaff.
12: Chiffchaff.
9: Willow Warbler, Blackcap (♂), Whitethroats.
8: Chiffchaff, Whitethroats.
7: FIRECREST: (in a’noon), Whitethroats (2♂♂+♀: seen, previously, by other, carrying house-building material).
6: Whitethroat (singing).
5: 2 Whitethroats (singing).
4: Garden Warbler (foy; in a’noon), Willow Warbler, Whitethroat (singing).
3: Whitethroat (singing).
2: Short-eared Owl, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap (♂), Whitethroat (singing).
1: just as the end of April !

Attachments

• P1870803 (2) 50.jpg
    P1870803 (2) 50.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
not even enough cover left for the Stonechats to nest

I'm afraid Beast 1.0 did for the male. Beast 2.0 saw off his wife.

The two combined managed to eradicate the pairs of Wrens and Hedge Sparrows.

Currently, a plague of Biblical magnitude of ceaselessly-chomping moth larvae is giving the brambles (and other vegetation) a severe dose of Euproctis chrysorrhoea. Painful !

Very sad !

If the moth larvae are Browntails (quite likely I suspect) then give them a wide berth. Their hairs blow around on the wind and cause both very itchy rashes (and not just on exposed skin !) plus, for some people, breathing difficulties.
A big problem at Spurn where they denude the Sea Buckthorn and brambles. When there were people living at the point I remember they couldn't hang their washing out without risking it getting covered in the irritant hairs and somebody had to be taken to hospital with breathing difficulties. I got away with having antihistamine tablets prescribed.

Steve

Edit - just realised what Euproctis chrysorrhoea is !

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back