• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (25 Viewers)

Realise it may be of little interest to chasers after transient exotica but did you note the ratio of adults to juveniles. Starlings appear to have fledged very few young in North Norfolk this year.

My thanks to those who have supplied information on their own observations, maybe I have yet to catch up with the usual post-fledging juvenile congregations.

Mick, here is a bit of advice, what you need to do is get out and start doing some bird finding and gaining general experience in birds and their habits after a while you will get the hang of it. This is far better than running around chasing other peoples birds and being so sad that you just want to moan about others that are far more competent than yourself. Unfortunately these days the twitching scene is full of low level bird spotters like you.
Kevin

Thank you for putting me (and apparently just about every other birder in the UK) well and truly in our place. Clearly, in your opinion, people like me have no right to see good birds presumably because we are 'not worthy' to be in the presence of the 'Messiah'. Nothing further to debate on what did or didn't happen at the starling but I take strong exception to your ignorant, ill-founded comments regarding my birding skills. Probably not a complete list but you will find my name against numerous rarities as finder/identifier in BBRC rarities reports or Norfolk Bird and Mammal Report:

Black Stork
Red-footed Falcons
Thrush Nightingale
Black Kite
Black-throated Thrush
Red-throated Pipit
Little Bitttern
Indigo Bunting
Black-browed Albatross
Bee-eater
Woodchat Shrike
Surf Scoter

And all in Norfolk.

Also plenty of local scarce including Tawny and Richards Pipits, Corys Shearwater, Sabs gulls, Long-tailed skuas, Storm and Leach's Petrels and lots of other stuff that doesn't immediately spring to mind.

While we will clearly never agree on what constitutes acceptable behaviour at a good bird I at least hope you will have the good grace to retract your comments regarding my status as a 'low level spotter'.

Regards

Mick

Kevin

Thank you for putting me (and apparently just about every other birder in the UK) well and truly in our place. Clearly, in your opinion, people like me have no right to see good birds presumably because we are 'not worthy' to be in the presence of the 'Messiah'.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"

Chris

Nothing further to debate on what did or didn't happen at the starling but I take strong exception to your ignorant, ill-founded comments regarding my birding skills. Probably not a complete list but you will find my name against numerous rarities as finder/identifier in BBRC rarities reports or Norfolk Bird and Mammal Report:

Black Stork
Red-footed Falcons
Thrush Nightingale
Black Kite
Black-throated Thrush
Red-throated Pipit
Little Bitttern
Indigo Bunting
Black-browed Albatross
Bee-eater
Woodchat Shrike
Surf Scoter

And all in Norfolk.

Also plenty of local scarce including Tawny and Richards Pipits, Corys Shearwater, Sabs gulls, Long-tailed skuas, Storm and Leach's Petrels and lots of other stuff that doesn't immediately spring to mind.

Get that, Kevin out the ring quick, Mick has almost killed him with that last punch. I can't watch.

I find it absolutely insane that anyone would call Mick Saunt a 'low level bird spotter' - its so insane that its funny! Mick is amongst 'Norfolk's finest' as we like to call them. Obviously Kevin doesn't know Mick at all - very dangerous indeed to be saying all that, when you don't know someone!

John M. asked if anyone had a picture of the 'flash' photographer yesterday, I do have a very close up picture of him, but there is no way I am posting the picture on here or anywhere, there is enough stuff going on here as it is!

Penny:girl:

Back to birds - Green Sandpiper at Redwell Marsh Reserve, Holme NOA. 4 Little Gulls at Titchwell RSPB. 2 Turtle Doves at Choseley Drying Barns. No sign of the RCS at Wells when I looked this evening and also had a good look round the allotments.

Penny:girl:

Oliver and Penny - sarcasm? He must have found it; apparently only us lesser beings enjoy birds found by other people.

On a serious note, thanks to the lady for making people aware of the bird and allowing us to gape at such a wonderful bird in her garden. And to whomever it was who sorted her out a photograph, well played :t:

Starlings

Realise it may be of little interest to chasers after transient exotica but did you note the ratio of adults to juveniles. Starlings appear to have fledged very few young in North Norfolk this year.

On the 5/6/13 I had 35 juv Starlings in front of my flat feeding near to Barrack st in Norwich

Durose v Saunt

I was astonished to read the diatribe from Kevin, with its unwarranted, high-octane, invective and inaccurate suppositions. I first became aware of him, through a mutual friend, as a taker of high-quality photographs of the natural world; have had little contact with him (none negative) and have no personal axe to grind.

Mick is one of the most well-respected birders in County, with a quietly mischievous, twinkly sense of humour. His list of co-/found raries speaks for itself.

That Kevin has, so far, made not even a partial retraction of the personal attack on Mick’s birding ability can only be to his detriment. To allow some generosity, he has possibly been out of internet contact, since his post.

His defence of photographers at twitches is risible. We have all been victim, too many times, of their scaring activities; often, it is they who exhibit rank cluelessness in their ‘fieldcraft’. (That is, of course, not to say that ‘pure’ birders are not guilty of flushing, through carelessness or stupidity, or talking too volubly, in/out of hides.)

Photographers and (mere) birders, obviously, have somewhat different aims. These need to be understood and, if possible, accommodated. (In some places in the US, for example, they even have different hides/blinds.) But, this should not be to the detriment of the bird’s welfare and should have respect for others observing and in the vicinity (again, see http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html).

Some of the most characterful shots of The Starling were of its bathing. (Why did I then recall Ursula Andress in ‘Dr No’ ? !) Moreover, they tended to be in strong light, with no need of flash- let alone flush.

To deny this, is to excise an important part of its ‘documentation’ at that site.

It would show grace on your part, if slightly more than a smidgen of apology (to Mick) was forthcoming, Kevin.

His defence of photographers at twitches is risible. We have all been victim, too many times, of their scaring activities; often, it is they who exhibit rank cluelessness in their ‘fieldcraft’. (That is, of course, not to say that ‘pure’ birders are not guilty of flushing, through carelessness or stupidity, or talking too volubly, in/out of hides.)

Whoa whoa whoa - it's not just photographers! as a birder who takes photographs (not good enough to be classed as a photographer) I have been equally annoyed - and not just at twitches - by idiots of all sorts who either go and stand in front of me (I'm only 5'2" so you can understand why I get hacked off by this), hog the seats in hides, talk loudly and in the case of the Dusky Thrush recently, walking under the tree the bloody thing was sitting in and shifting it into the canopy (just as I was about to get the best shot ever LOL).

I agree totally that everyone has inadvertently flushed a bird at some time and anyone who says they haven't is either very naive or a total liar IMHO.

Can we PLEASE agree that there are people who take photos and people who don't but all of them can be a complete pain in the butt on occasions and both genres are equally guilty of being some of the most irritiating examples of humanity on the planet (apart from those who don't know how to use apostrophes properly). We all have to watch together so we are all going to have to make allowances for each other but surely it all boils down to common courtesy and good manners - both to the birds and to each other.

Disturbance...

Hi Norfolk,

Thought this recent post on my blog might be of interest. Disturbance by photographers in Norfolk extends to breeding birds as well.

I make no effort to hide my disgust at photographers, but don't think for one second I am singling out this group of perpetrators alone. I whole heartedly oppose anyone needlessly distressing birds, especially breeding ones.

Yours hatefully,

Jonny

If you stupidly post photos of people on the net and invite comments you have to expect all kinds of responses, including the unexpected. Why should Kevin retract anything he said as the orginal post implied that those with long lens were effectively "numpties and low level birders" which clearly is Incorrect. The error was to post the photo in the first place which is yet to be accepted as foolish by those responsible. Perhaps an acknowledgement that posting of the photo was a mistake would be the more appropriate starting point John.

The home page of this website http://craigbrelsford.com/ depicts an example of a truly ‘low-level birder’. Craig has taken, by these (and other, crawling) means and his superb fieldcraft, a multitude of astonishing photos, in his quest to photo-document all the birds of China.

Having re-read Mick’s original post several times, I cannot locate the quoted phrase. It seems, in fact, first to occur in Kevin’s !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back