• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht eyepiece coating (1 Viewer)

lume

The Habicht has only eye relief of 12mm.. so everytime you use it.. you leave eyelash grease into the lens. Supposed you wipe it every 2 days.. how many days before the coating can be affected?

And what exactly are the coatings used in the eyepiece as well as the rest of it that can transmit 96% of light? Is it the same coating as used in their premium roof? What is it called?

Swarovski uses many coatings, for lenses they use Swaroclean which is a nonstick coating to
help with repelling water, and many other things.

When cleaning any lens you need to take care not to grind dirt into the coatings. Lots of topics
on here about cleaning, use a brush first, then take care with a lens solution, or water to rinse and
then clean with a proper cleaning cloth.

Jerry

Lume, One could actually calculate the amount of coating that could disappear because of your eyelashes hitting the coating of the eyepiece. Parameters of importance are: the hardness of the eyelashes of your eyes, how often do you wash your eyelashes, what kind of soap are you using (some are more aggressive than others) and you have to take into account the hardness of the coating, their thickness etc. Fortunately Swarovski uses bulletproof glass in the Habicht eyepieces, since they were developed for military use.
Overlooking all these parameters, I do not think you have to worry, at least not the first ninety six years of intensive use.
Gijs van Ginkel

Lume, One could actually calculate the amount of coating that could disappear because of your eyelashes hitting the coating of the eyepiece. Parameters of importance are: the hardness of the eyelashes of your eyes, how often do you wash your eyelashes, what kind of soap are you using (some are more aggressive than others) and you have to take into account the hardness of the coating, their thickness etc. Fortunately Swarovski uses bulletproof glass in the Habicht eyepieces, since they were developed for military use.
Overlooking all these parameters, I do not think you have to worry, at least not the first ninety six years of intensive use.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs:

I wonder about the use of bulletproof glass in binoculars. I have not
heard about it before.

Tell us more about that ?

Thanks, Jerry

Gijs:

heard about it before.

Thanks, Jerry
It is not glass as such. Rather, it is a carefully grown crystalline structure using a doping agent obtained from the defacatory output of male bovines. The protective properties are activated by focusing psychic energy when you jump to the left, then step to the right; with your hands on your hips you bring your knees in tight [etc. - you know the drill!]

...Mike

Last edited:
The protective properties are activated by focusing psychic energy when you jump to the left, then step to the right; with your hands on your hips you bring your knees in tight [etc. - you know the drill!]

...Mike

.... then, when you land, just roll with it.......

Lee

Gijs:

heard about it before.

Thanks, Jerry

I've been told on a intern meeting, that the Habicht uses lead containing glass with the quality to absorb lead, which makes is bullet proof. The glass itselves absorbs lead.
The special Ninja Forces of Austria usees this for years and they have never been defeated, so it is proven to work.

Jan

PS

If you want more details I'll have to ask.

Modern mascara for eyelashes is pretty powerful stuff and could well scratch bullet proof glass.
Mystic Meg might use this.
You get up and down scratches normally, but when reclined horizontal scratches are added.

Bullet proof glass is usually layers of plastic and glass in a sandwich. In this case Swarovision coatings are used on all contact surfaces. With refractive indices carefully matched. The edges of the glass are blackened using baked modern mascara.

Some old Swift eyepieces used thorium glass and these were reportedly a lot more than bullet proof.

somebody should test the hardness of the coatings on the lenses of the major brands...just how much abuse/cleaning can these coating take b4 they fail....

..as I understand it, there's a bit of twitching (not in the birding sense!) involved. But let's not go there |:$|

...Mike

No, Mike.

Twitching is what you do involuntarily if you land and don't roll with it.

Of course in the northern hemisphere you have to roll clockwise and in the southern hemisphere you must gyrate in the anti-clock direction. If you are in the southern hemisphere and you roll the wrong way i.e. clockwise, you end up with the condition summarised by the exclamation 'I'm screwed'.

Lee

somebody should test the hardness of the coatings on the lenses of the major brands...just how much abuse/cleaning can these coating take b4 they fail....

On the surface this seems like a good idea but the trouble is everybody uses a different cleaning method:
The German Deep Cleanse, done wearing leather shorts and strictly according to DIN standards
The Texan Grind, using grit and cattle poo.
The French Flambé, uses garlic and too much brandy.
The British Bulldog Method, uses a stiff upper lip, and a bulldog.

Lee

Gijs:

heard about it before...

From 100 meters away with a .30-06 168g Barnes TSX to one barrell of the Habicht 10x40 W GA's....Nope, Coatings Not Bulletproof :eek!: :-C (man, I really liked those bins)!!! ;) 3:)

...Shame about the binoculars :)

No problem and no worries. I now have a high quality "Monocular"! :t:

Though have to focus manually on the eye piece, as the left barrel bullet proof test also took out the focus knob. :-O

Hmmmm, wonder if it may be covered under the Absam warranty??? ;)

Ted

Hmmmm, wonder if it may be covered under the Absam warranty??? ;)

Ted

Ted .... Take what is left on your Swarovski trip this summer and drop it off a the beginning of the factory tour. They should have it as good as new by the end of tour and it may even be armored in Kevlar.

If that does not work out, then consider a side trip to pick up a shotgun proof Zeiss Conquest.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back