• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do any of the sigma lenses have IS? (1 Viewer)

JJG2006

I'm kind of confused because I've been looking at so many lenses, but it seems like when I was at the sigma website, I couldn't find any lenses with an internal stablizer.

I'm looking for a prime 300 or 400 lens for a Rebel XT.

The only one I'm aware of is the 80-400mm F4.5-F5.6 zoom. It has Sigma's version of IS, which they call OS. I don't believe any of their primes have this feature.

Steve

Thanks, Steve and Keith. I see they say that lens is only good with Nikon

So I can't use it with the Rebel XT. Picking out a lens is hard work!

*OS system can be used with Nikon cameras, which are only compatible with image blurring compensation mechanism. It can be used with following cameras. F6 and F100, F80/N80 series - F65/U, F75/U2, D2H, and D1 series, D100, D70 and Fuji Film FinePix S2 Pro_OS mechanism cannot be used with other camera models.In addition, OS mechanism and Auto Focus operation of this lens do not work with F5 cameras.

JJG2006 said:
So I can't use it with the Rebel XT. Picking out a lens is hard work!

*OS system can be used with Nikon cameras, which are only compatible with image blurring compensation mechanism. It can be used with following cameras. F6 and F100, F80/N80 series - F65/U, F75/U2, D2H, and D1 series, D100, D70 and Fuji Film FinePix S2 Pro_OS mechanism cannot be used with other camera models.In addition, OS mechanism and Auto Focus operation of this lens do not work with F5 cameras.

I noticed that you haven't mentioned the D50 in this list, presumably it does not work with that either?

Mark

Hi all,

that bit of Sigma blurb is very misleading.

Firstly, there is definitely a Canon fit 80-400mm OS, and the Rebel XT/350D plays very nicely with it.

Secondly, this list of compatible Nikon cameras (because that's all it really is - a warning that the Nikon fit lens won't give stabilisation on older Nikons) needs to be updated: the D50, the D70s and the D200 are all OK with the lens, apart from the D200 AF-on button issue, which needs a firmware update of the lens to fettle.

Last edited:
Keith Reeder said:
Hi all,

that bit of Sigma blurb is very misleading.

Firstly, there is definitely a Canon fit 80-400mm OS, and the Rebel XT/350D plays very nicely with it.

Secondly, this list of compatible Nikon cameras (because that's all it really is - a warning that the Nikon fit lens won't give stabilisation on older Nikons) needs to be updated: the D50, the D70s and the D200 are all OK with the lens, apart from the D200 AF-on button issue, which needs a firmware update of the lens to fettle.

Thanks Keith for clearing that up.

Mark

No problems, Mark - it confused me too when I first started looking into buying the lens.

A banal translation from the Japanese, I imagine...

JJG2006 said:
I'm kind of confused because I've been looking at so many lenses, but it seems like when I was at the sigma website, I couldn't find any lenses with an internal stablizer.

I'm looking for a prime 300 or 400 lens for a Rebel XT.

Yes, the Sigma 80-400 OS is a nice, sharp lens which has excellent image stabilization and is available in all popular mounts including Canon. I use this lens with my Sigma SD10.

For general birding it's a really nice lens, but it's dog-slow at autofocus so don't expect to shoot birds in flight with it. I use it extensively for general wildlife, but if you want to shoot flying birds you are better off with the Canon 100-400L IS. I also use this lens with all my Canon dSLR bodies. It has much faster autofocus than either the Nikon 80-400 VR or Sigma 80-400 OS but is still a bit slow for flying birds. A decent fast prime is probably the best bet for your Canon if you want to shoot flying birds. Next best would be the 100-400L IS.

Lin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back