• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

300mm f/4 AF-S vs. 80-400mm VR on a D70s (1 Viewer)

avan said:
A good tripod and video head + high shutter speed, you are in business for hummingbird photography. The 300AF-S have a very short minimum focusing distance that is great for close up of the little bird. Check in my gallery I have some hummingbird picture taken with the AF-S +TC.
Some samples

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 190
Leif said:
The only issue with the 300mm F4 is the tripod foot which is said to be unstable, and several companies including Kirk and RRS sell replacements.

I swapped the lens collar on mine for the kirk alternative, which is certainly more robust (see pic). Can i notice any differances in my images? a little at slower shutter speeds (less than 1/60).

Rog

Attachments

• _ROG4494.jpg
    _ROG4494.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 184
pe'rigin said:
Mario,
If your budget could stretch to the VR 300mm 2.8 version, you will not be disappointed.

Pe'rigin/Steve,

I got news for you guys (I'm sure you will all be shocked...): wives are the same North and South of the equator... I'm sure there's a Darwinian explanation for that...

Believe it or not, given the paucity of options under Nikon, I had indeed thought about that particular lens. And I bet that beauty would happily take a 2xTC, at still a fast f/5.6, and fire away gorgeous pics. Of course, it starts to bump against the 200-400VR pricewise (w/ a slight edge for the prime at the corners, i.e., above aprox. 10mm from center, since we're talking an APS sensor). The 300 f/4 comes a close third.

Mario

P.S. My wife says all this about wives is a bit overblown... Hmmm... do I see a window of opportunity here...

Mario Hummer said:
Believe it or not, given the paucity of options under Nikon, I had indeed thought about that particular lens. And I bet that beauty would happily take a 2xTC, at still a fast f/5.6, and fire away gorgeous pics. Of course, it starts to bump against the 200-400VR pricewise (w/ a slight edge for the prime at the corners, i.e., above aprox. 10mm from center, since we're talking an APS sensor). The 300 f/4 comes a close third.

If you were considering this as an option, why not take a look at the Sigma 300 f2.8 - or even the 120-300 f2.8 which is supposed to be even better than the prime lens. Both would probably work very well with a 2x converter.

rezMole said:
If you were considering this as an option, why not take a look at the Sigma 300 f2.8 - or even the 120-300 f2.8 which is supposed to be even better than the prime lens. Both would probably work very well with a 2x converter.

I did look into the Sigma 300 f/2.8. Its MTF, especially @ 30l/mm, is significantly lower than Nikon's 300 f/4 even. Sigma's 120-300, @ 300mm, is indeed better MTF-wise than Sigma's 300 f/2.8, corroborating what you said, but still a tad lower than Nikon's 300 f/4. So, although in a price range closer to Nikon's 300 f/2.8 VR, these Sigma's don't have OS and seem to be more of a competitor to the Nikon 300 f/4, being still a bit worse optically that the latter.

And, of course, when we go to 300 f/2.8's we're talking about twice as much weigtht as a 300 f/4, so that's another thing to factor in.

Mario

Mario,
I have the Sigma 80-400OS and really like it. A prime lens like the Nikon 300 might give a better picture, but having the versatility of a zoom is great. Also the Nikon 80-400 will be slower to focus on the D70 compared to the Sigma 80-400.
Duane

A 300mm. f2.8 tele is significantly larger and heavier than the other lenses that have been discussed in this thread. If the idea here is to have a top-performing lens that is highly portable for walkaround bird photography, I would be very skeptical about choosing a lens like this.

skyhighphoto said:
Mario,
I have the Sigma 80-400OS and really like it. A prime lens like the Nikon 300 might give a better picture, but having the versatility of a zoom is great. Also the Nikon 80-400 will be slower to focus on the D70 compared to the Sigma 80-400.
Duane

Yup, I hear you on all accounts. The versatility of the zoom comes in handy (although I slightly misphrased towards the end of my original post) when shooting birds, as they disappear from your field of view when you're on the long side of the lens. Zooming out often allows you to retrieve the creature. I should have chosen turtles instead... ;-)

Thanks,

Mario

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back