• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are certain birds "pests"? (1 Viewer)

Tragedy! In #120 I referred to a Sparrow Hawk visit two days ago. Well, it returned today and its victim was... Wonky Bill. I blame myself, encouraging the birds by feeding them, so inviting predators to take advantage of the situation. I had checked, of course, to see if 'the coast was clear', and so it seemed. No skulking shapes in the trees. But when I heard the same dull thud as on Thursday, I feared the worst. I put down the Goose fat I'd just got out of the Fridge for Wonks, and looked out the lounge window, to see a Sparrow Hawk dragging a black/dark-grey Pigeon across the lawn. It was evidently Wonks, and too late for me to intervene, so I had to let nature take its course. After 10 minutes, something disturbed the Hawk so it flew off, but soon returned to finish what it had started. At least I got a hug from my wife when I told her about my sad loss, aware of how much I looked forward to Wonky's daily visits and devising little treats for him. The light was fading fast as I took a last picture of the scene in the garden rockery, the Hawk still occupied with eating for its own survival. Ah well, that's life... and death.
Signing off now.

Attachments

• IMG_1906.jpg
    IMG_1906.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 66
Tragedy! In #120 I referred to a Sparrow Hawk visit two days ago. Well, it returned today and its victim was... Wonky Bill. I blame myself, encouraging the birds by feeding them, so inviting predators to take advantage of the situation. I had checked, of course, to see if 'the coast was clear', and so it seemed. No skulking shapes in the trees. But when I heard the same dull thud as on Thursday, I feared the worst. I put down the Goose fat I'd just got out of the Fridge for Wonks, and looked out the lounge window, to see a Sparrow Hawk dragging a black/dark-grey Pigeon across the lawn. It was evidently Wonks, and too late for me to intervene, so I had to let nature take its course. After 10 minutes, something disturbed the Hawk so it flew off, but soon returned to finish what it had started. At least I got a hug from my wife when I told her about my sad loss, aware of how much I looked forward to Wonky's daily visits and devising little treats for him. The light was fading fast as I took a last picture of the scene in the garden rockery, the Hawk still occupied with eating for its own survival. Ah well, that's life... and death.
Signing off now.

I know exactly how you feel, James; I see this regularly in my garden, as I have frequent visits from Sparrowhawks.

I've over 60 regular Feral Pigeons (plus Starlings, Jays, etc etc), and some of them I've been feeding for over 6 years. I know them by their lack of toes or plumage colours, or by their odd habits. I hand feed at least 20 of them each day, and they land on me as soon as I go into the garden. I know their habits; like which arm they prefer, how they rest the stump of their half-a-leg in my hand, or the strange squeaky noise they make when begging (or are they really just telling me off|=)|).

Anyway, it's very easy to get attached to them, and one thing that doesn't help is giving them names. Years ago, a few that I gave names to were killed by Sparrowhawks, so now I just call each of them "Sweetheart" |=)|

You looked after Wonky while he was alive, but as he wasn't a Pet, you could do no more than you did. You made his life easier; there's loads more birds out there that need your help too.|=)|

Thanks for that, Chris, nicely put, and obviously you're someone who knows their Pigeons! You mention odd habits, and Wonky's was to go round in circles, backwards. None of the other daily Pigeons (about 15 usually) act in such a peculiar way. Limper still visits, but is a 'loner', never mixing with the others, so he's what I call 'aloof on the roof' and not half as entertaining as Wonky.
It's tomorrow morning I'm going to miss Wonks, when he doesn't peck on the window...

The Sparrow Hawk scourge continues. Yesterday there was yet another Pigeon carcase, this time in the front garden. This makes three Pigeon kills in four days. I'm almost afraid to feed the birds now, in case I make them 'easy meat', literally, for some local predator.

That Sparrow Hawk was back yet again this afternoon, calmly waiting in a tree in my front garden. This is becoming too much of a habit. I suspect other birds knew it was there, as the garden was unusually quiet. What next?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back