• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whats in your garden right now? (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
At the moment in my garden its quite quiet all I can see are a few Magpies and that flipping Squirrel at the feeder and 2 Crows walking around the garden eatin something in the grass :eat:

Hi Euan, well at the moment there's three Tits namely Coal, Great and Blue and also greenfinches (all demolishing the black sunflower seed to the almost complete neglect of everything else :)

Hi Euan,

Just looked . . not a lot just now, 2 Blue Tits, a Great Tit and a Robin. But if I count in the eight or so neighbours' gardens (all, like ours, quite small) I can see from the upstairs windows, can add in a few more Blue Tits, a Wren, a Greenfinch or two and a Wood Pigeon. And in the distance, a Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Mistle Thrush calling in the local park, and Magpies & Jackdaws flying around.

Michael

3 Moorhens, 12 House Sparrows, 2 Blue Tits, 5 Greenfinches. Tiny garden but the end is open to the Grand Union Canal so Moorhens are regular.

Steve

Not a lot right now, which is hardly surprising as we've had 26mm of rain since midnight, and 59mm in the last 37 hours! :eek!:

All I've seen today so far: 2 bluetits, 2 blackbirds, 1 great tit, 4 collared doves, 3 goldfinches and 1 nuthatch

If I look at my records for the BTO, last week the tally was: 2 bluetits, 2 robins, 4 house sparrows, 6 starlings, 1 dunnock, 3 chaffinches, 2 great tits, 1 greenfinch, 7 collared doves, 1 coal tit, 1 goldcrest, 2 goldfinches, 2 magpies, 1 nuthatch, 1 song thrush, 1 sparrowhawk and 1 woodpigeon.

These are the numbers of each species seen together at the same time.

Last edited:
Been round the folks today

we had 1 dunnock 1 blackbird, 5 H Sparrow, 4 Greenfinch 2 blue tits, a great tit, 1 collar dove and a Squirrel - we haven't seen him in ages

We are so lucky, even though the garden is quiet (lots of rain) we still have couple of magpies, about twelve goldfinches, seven house sparrows, five greenfinches, three blue tits, Great Tit, nuthatch, song thrush, Dunnock and a pair of black birds, not fogetting four collard doves, on the table a bottle of spackling wine and a bottle of Martell B :)

Just looked out of the window(grey and pouring with rain)and all I can see is 2 Cormorants fishing and the usual Gulls.
For my 'garden' read River Thames.

Talk about tempting providence? This morning I said to Lynne aren’t we lucky with the squirrels. This is the seconded winter that we have fed the birds and even though, we see a squirrel two or three times a week, it has never done any damage, up until to day :eek!: !!!
Glyn

The garden is quite vacant at the moment. Except for the Grey Squirrel that is hanging upside down like a bat as he tries to finish the suit cake we put out for the newly arrived Downy Woodpeckers. I recon I'll have to figure out a way to deal with the little menace.

I had 8 Blackbirds, a Song Thrush 3 Wrens, 2 Dunnocks, 2 Robins, 20 or so House Sparrows and a similar number of Starlings in the the garden. However, at the bottom of it there was :-

7000 Dunlin, 5000 Knot 2000 Oystercatcher, 1000 Grey Plover, 1000 Bar-tailed Godwit, 200 Curlew, 150 Sanderling 100 Ringed Plover and 75 Redshank

Woke up to a very hard frost this morning.
so we had some very hungry featherd friends,
and who was waiting on the doorstep-blackbird
and I thought I was early, so gave him his sultanas then 4 of his mates turn up so we ended
up with,
5-blackbirds.
1-robin.
3-bluetits.
1-coaltit.
20- housesparrows. still keeping good numbers!
4- greenfinches.
7- collerared-doves. most ever.
this was over 2-hours of a very cold morning.
bert.

New Holland Honeyeaters, Welcome Swallows, Goldfinch (Introduced), Blackbird (introduced), House Sparrow (introduced). I'm at work in Hamilton, south western Victoria, Australia.

Well, my garden birds are a little different from yours over there! ;)
I have:
Pine Grosbeaks
Evening Grosbeaks
Bluejay
Gray Jays
Red breasted nuthatches
black capped chickadees
downy woodpeckers
hairy woodpeckers
Yesterday, I had one American goldfinch, amazingly enough.
Last week, I had one pine siskin... again, pretty amazing for this time of year.

Been very quiet here lately, but they are starting to return. I've got 3 very loud pileated woodpeckers, 2 tufted titmouse, 1 chickadee, 1 pine warbler, 1 redwinged blackbird, 1 downy woodpecker and 3 squirrels. However, we're in indian summer here right now with temps in the 70's.

Last edited:
From 7:30 til 8:00 this morning:
Song thrush (first for winter)
3 Blackbirds
1 Fieldfare
2 Wrens
2 Robins
dunnocks,blue great and coal tits,nuthatch,greenfinch,grey heron......first frost meant alot of birds

In about half hour this morning we've had:
8 house sparrow
3 starling
2 blue tit
1 great tit
1 greenfinch
1 robin
2 blackbird
5 collard dove
Just waiting for the weather not get a bit colder and then hopefully the goldfinches and siskins will be back.

The siskins usually arrive here in late december, could any one give me advice on what to feed them because they usually ignore my feed!?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back