• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Back Garden (1 Viewer)

Here's a few video captures from this morning. Not good quality, but gives an idea what's happening.

I think picture 3 looks more like a Penguin than a Magpie;)

Attachments

• BBirdSnow.jpg
    BBirdSnow.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 49
  • CollysSnow3.jpg
    CollysSnow3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 48
  • MagpieSnow2.jpg
    MagpieSnow2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 50
  • MagpieSnow.JPG
    MagpieSnow.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 48
The female Goldcrest is still hanging around. I see her everyday now. She's now eating bread from the scraps feeder, as well catching the crumbs from the messy Starlings.

I've also seen her at the fat feeder, and on the ground. She really is quite bold, as there's quite a commotion from the Starlings, Sparrows, and Collard Doves feeding in the tree. I thought it would scare her off, but she seems to have gotten used to it.

I thought I'd try to get her on video without just focusing on one spot and waiting. That was a bad idea. From 30m minutes of footage I got just one capture that is in focus, though only just in focus.

If you want a method of driving yourself insane, try following a Goldcrest with a video camera.:)

Anyway, here's the capture, I'll have to get video the sensible way next time.

Attachments

• GoldcrestFemale.jpg
    GoldcrestFemale.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 59
A couple of shots of the Sparrow Hawk that killed a bird in my back garden from December 2008.

Attachments

• Hartlepool 04-12-2008 007aa.jpg
    Hartlepool 04-12-2008 007aa.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Hartlepool 04-12-2008 010aa.jpg
    Hartlepool 04-12-2008 010aa.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Hartlepool 04-12-2008 006aa.jpg
    Hartlepool 04-12-2008 006aa.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 52
The Sparrow Hawk spent well over an hour in the garden on top of its kill. Then it started to snow. Here is a shot.

Attachments

• Hartlepool 04-12-2008 013a.jpg
    Hartlepool 04-12-2008 013a.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 58
Busy morning here:

Black Capped Chickadees
Tufted Titmice
White Breasted Nuthatches
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
American Crows
American Goldfinches
Blue Jays
and a Pileated Woodpecker sighting :t:

Well, my Goldfinch was back today after a 3 month abscence. Went straight for the nyger!

I must say this Nyger does exactly what it says on the packet doesn't it!
Bought one of the Aldi feed stations last weekend and then went out and specifically bought a Nyger feeder and seed. I must admit that when I saw the tiny holes for feeding through I was pretty sceptical.
Feeder went up on Tuesday. This morning at first light there was something on the far side of the feeder tube but it was to silhouetted to ID. Just got back from the Wyre Forest and bingo! Goldfinch on the Nyger, and I have never seen a Goldfinch in this house's garden for all the time I've lived here - 28 years.

I must say this Nyger does exactly what it says on the packet doesn't it!
Bought one of the Aldi feed stations last weekend and then went out and specifically bought a Nyger feeder and seed. I must admit that when I saw the tiny holes for feeding through I was pretty sceptical.
Feeder went up on Tuesday. This morning at first light there was something on the far side of the feeder tube but it was to silhouetted to ID. Just got back from the Wyre Forest and bingo! Goldfinch on the Nyger, and I have never seen a Goldfinch in this house's garden for all the time I've lived here - 28 years.

Well done, that's a pretty fast reaction to the seed.:)

I've only ever seen one Goldfinch in my garden (a few weeks ago). I could only get a blurry picture of it, so I posted in the ID section of the forum to make sure.

It never came back.:(

I know that I've posted video captures I've taken in my garden of Sparrowhawks before, but this time it's from my neighbour's garden.

She took the Starling from off the top of my fence and down into next door's garden. I videoed her from my bedroom window, so quality isn't good; also these are captures from the video and not pictures. BTW, the kill was quite fast for a change, so at least the Starling wasn't eaten alive. Unfortunately a quick kill of prey of Starling size and above is quite rare in my garden.

I actually have quite a lot of video of feeding Sparrowhawks, I guess this is pretty good for a suburban garden in London.

Attachments

• SparrowHawkNextGarden_0001.jpg
    SparrowHawkNextGarden_0001.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 50
  • SparrowHawkNextGarden_0002.jpg
    SparrowHawkNextGarden_0002.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 54
  • SparrowHawkNextGarden_0003.jpg
    SparrowHawkNextGarden_0003.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 44
Some info that might interest some of you:

The Sparrowhawk was plucking and eating for 45 minutes.

When she finished eating she stood over the carcass for 36 minutes with a full crop, then she flew off.

Below is a couple of captures of her with a full crop; she actually resembles a Pigeon in shape.:)

Attachments

• SparrowHawkNextGardenFullCrop_0001.jpg
    SparrowHawkNextGardenFullCrop_0001.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 56
  • SparrowHawkNextGardenFullCrop_0002.jpg
    SparrowHawkNextGardenFullCrop_0002.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 51
Looks like the Magpies are nest building. They take mud from underneath the bird baths throughout the year for repairs. The last week they have been down many times each day digging, then flying off with a beak full of mud.

Well the Magpies are still nest building; it's actually quite hectic lately. Judging by their behaviour, it's the same 2 that are digging up the mud. They are even ignoring the nuts in shells that are nearby.

I started counting the number of visits yesterday; I lost count at around 40 mud collections. It must be an enormous nest they are building.;)

Seeing as I just bought a new camera, I thought I'd post a few pics I've taken over the last few days. They are all taken through double glazed windows, so are not too clear.

I did a stupid thing and tried to upload them without resizing. My old camera only had 1mp CCD so file size was small, smallest I tried to upload was almost 5mb, so I had to scale the images down.

Yes, I'll know next time.;)

Attachments

• DSCF0526r.JPG
    DSCF0526r.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF0760r.JPG
    DSCF0760r.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0943r.JPG
    DSCF0943r.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0972r.JPG
    DSCF0972r.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF0982r.JPG
    DSCF0982r.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 47
A few more pics, I'm still getting to know the camera, so bear with me. All pics taken through double glazing as usual.

The first picture is of one of the youngest Pigeons I've seen; I think it left the nest a bit early. I've included a Squirrel pic, I know most here hate Squirrels, but I find them very entertaining.

Attachments

• YoungPigeon.JPG
    YoungPigeon.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Chaffinches.JPG
    Chaffinches.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 51
  • JayFence.JPG
    JayFence.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 45
  • SquirrelTree.JPG
    SquirrelTree.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 45
  • StarlingWall.JPG
    StarlingWall.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 45
I just had to post this picture I took of a Wood Pigeon. It made me laugh, but I've no idea why. It just looks very odd, almost like it's smiling; the shape seems wrong as well.

I can assure you I'm not drunk (although I did just take a painkiller)

Attachments

• OddWoodPigeon.JPG
    OddWoodPigeon.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 50
I decided to reduce the amount of food I give to the Pigeons, just for week or so to disperse some of the youngsters (8 new ones in about as many days). The first picture I've attached is an example of how the Pigeons responded. It seems like I'll have to come up with a new plan.;)

The second picture is an example of what happens when people throw out full slices of crusty bread for the birds. It's a good example of why I always break bread into pieces.

Attachments

• PigeonFeeder.JPG
    PigeonFeeder.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 40
  • BreadNecklace.JPG
    BreadNecklace.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 52
I saw something just now that I've not seen before. One of the regular Magpies landed on the fence, looked in the next garden, flew into the garden, then back onto the fence. Nothing unusual about that, except it had a mouse in it's beak when it flew back onto the fence. It was holding the mouse by the scruff of the neck; I think (hope) the mouse was dead.

I didn't get a picture as by the time I realised it was a mouse the Magpie had flown off.

This will sound silly, but I actually felt sad for the mouse; I'm not even sure if it was a Field Mouse. I've seen the Crows and Magpies try to get mice, but this is the first time I've seen one succeed.

It's only this year that I've realised just how opportunistic Magpies are. I've seen them getting mud for the nest and apparently ignoring the young Pigeon nearby, then suddenly, without warning, the young Pigeon is attacked. Up until now the Pigeons have just lost a few feathers. However juvenile Starlings have not been as lucky, I buried a few half eaten juveniles last year.

A bit of advice for anyone with a mouse problem, don't get a cat get a Magpie.:)

Yesterday was the first time I saw a Magpie with a mouse in it's mouth; today I actually saw it catch one. I knew that there might be at least one mouse left as I saw a baby mouse a few days ago. So I'm watching this young mouse scurry back and forth getting pieces of nut left behind by squirrels; then the Magpie comes down for a drink from the bird baths. The mouse vanished just before the Magpie landed, so I figured it was safe.

So the Magpie looks around, has a drink, looks around some more, then jumps down near the fence and plucks a mouse from just beneath. It looked like it shook the mouse to death, which I guess is preferable to being eaten alive.

I'm pretty sure the Magpies have chicks, as they were nest building weeks ago. It looks like the chicks will be well fed.

BTW, has anyone else seen this behaviour from Magpies? They really do seem quite good at catching mice.

Here's something interesting (well I think it's interesting):

The Crows that visit my garden mostly come for the nuts in shells, but they take the odd scrap of bread occasionally. Their behaviour is fairly predictable. Some pick out 2 or 3 nuts in shells that fit nicely in their beaks, others break the shells and take the nuts (thus getting more nuts per visit). All of them fly onto the fence to check the nuts are secure in their beak, then they fly off.

For the last week a couple of Crows have favoured bread, in fact they've taken every available piece. I've taken the time to break the bread into small pieces, only for the Crows to collect it all together in a big lump and wedge it in their beaks and fly off with it. I assume that the bread (which is wholemeal) is for their chicks; I'm pretty sure they are feeding young.

The really interesting behaviour was this morning:

One of the Crows broke open a few nuts in shells, took the whole nuts out, broke some into small pieces, and flew onto the fence ready to fly off with the nuts in it's crop/beak. At that moment I threw bread out. The Crow (which is used to me, so didn't fly off) spat out all of the nuts, flew down and collected all the bread I just threw out, and flew off with it stuffed in it's beak. So the Crow could have flown off with, or eaten, the nuts, but instead wasted them in favour of the bread. I assume that the bread was preferred because of the bulk, and a thick slice of bread will keep a chick happier for longer than a couple of nuts. Whatever the reason, I think this is a good example of how intelligent Corvids are. I would imagine quite a lot of thought must have gone into the simple act of spitting out a few nuts and taking the bread instead.

Here's a picture of one of the Crows with some bread stuffed in it's beak.

Attachments

• CrowBread.JPG
    CrowBread.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 41
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back