• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

Goldcrest this morning, it must have been hungry as it fed on suet ball, seeds off bird table then hung on for some peanuts.....

Other usual suspects this morning but another nice suprise was Great Tits not seen for a week and 2 came this morning

Dave

Grey heron showed again today, first time for over a month.

It gave me a huge shock as I walked out of the garage and found it on the lawn in turn I gave the Heron a huge shock and it flew upwards, I stumbled into the kithen for the camera and returned to see it fly over the neighbours roof........ the whole episode must have looked quiet comicle

Saw a wren in my garden yesterday afternoon, first time I've seen one here for ages so that was really nice. Have rather a lot of starlings coming now, but also have a fairly large (for me!) flock of House Sparrows regularly in the garden, probably well in excess of twenty, and they're really taking a lot of seed from my tubular feeder now that I've moved it away from the Starlings and hung it in my Cotoneaster. They spend a fair bit of time in the ivy on my fence and all line up on the branches near the feeder waiting for a go. Might need a larger multi-port feeder, or anther one at the least! :t:

Although the garden has fairly long periods of quiet, when the birds come in the garden is absolutely packed, with birds everywhere - on the trees, shrubs, on the ground, on the feeders and flying around! Is wonderful to see! :king:

Am amazed by the numbers of chaffinches residing in the woods. Two flocks of about 15 shot over my garden from the woods early yesterday morning (the flight is unmistakeable - undulating, with a 'cheep' on each wing stroke), and there were still a handful left in the oak tree overlooking my garden. I only thought there were about 12 or so (the most I'd seen together in my garden) so that was a bit of a shock seeing so many !

Am amazed by the numbers of chaffinches residing in the woods. Two flocks of about 15 shot over my garden from the woods early yesterday morning (the flight is unmistakeable - undulating, with a 'cheep' on each wing stroke), and there were still a handful left in the oak tree overlooking my garden. I only thought there were about 12 or so (the most I'd seen together in my garden) so that was a bit of a shock seeing so many !

Now you're just showing off!

So far... Starlings - on the chopped peanuts! Also greenies, robin, blue, great and long tailed tits.

Moray, Hi

No pond in my garden or the neighbours that I know of.
The Heron just sits in the middle of the lawn but if it sees me moving near the kitchen door it is off straight away.

I live very near a school and leisure centre which has plenty of playing fields so I guess I am just an alternative patch of green away from its larger place of rest.

You dont appreciate the size of these things until you see it fly upwards over the roof of a house, brilliant to see!!

Fozzy, I would love to see a wren in the garden, heres hoping for 09!!

This morning the coal tits are going mad storing seeds, the greenfinches are still keeping some of the starlings at bay, the Blue tits grab a bit when it goes quiet, not seen the goldcrest today, or the Long tails for a week or so.

Will really enjoy the garden over the xmas period

Dave

Last edited:
Wow ! Never had one of those in the garden. Do you have a pond?

Hi Fozzy, we don't get sparrows unfortunately. Heard them before they went to roost in a village we were visiting, noisy wee birds. Do they roost in your garden?

Not 100% sure if they roost in the garden, but I think they do - the starlings and sparrows spend a lot of time in the conifers and ivy. They 'are' pretty noisy, I remember when I was a kid we always had loads in the garden and there was a constant background chatter from them. It's so true that you don't realise what you've got until they're gone - my brother doesn't hear them where he is in Suffolk and when he came over today he was really pleased to see and hear the Sparrows. :t:

I managed to record a bit of video of them on my feeder, which is really getting heavily hit now I've moved it! If anyone's interested I've uploaded it to my flickr account here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulforsdick/3125488094/

I've just bought a 4 port feeder, but it's an experiment as I'm not sure if it'll be as easy for them to perch on as the current feeder. Time will tell.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you getting a Wren Bananafishbones, at least the ones I've not got crossed for my Wren to show up more often! ;)

Loads of Long-tailed Tits this past week, and a large number of Chaffinches and Goldfinches. The Goldcrest has been about too, and I've had a Pied Wagtail and a Stock Dove most days for the past couple of weeks. I try and sneak out with the mealworms so the Robin gets a chance, but the Starlings normally spot them first and demolish them all in about 5 seconds flat! I also get a Carrion Crow with white wingtips most days. My highlight of the week though was a Kingfisher passing over the garden on it's way to the nearby river! Lovely.

Hi White Kite,
Sounds like a busy garden. I haven't seen a kingfisher for years, they are "very scarce visitors and occasional breeders " in Moray.

Happy Christmas birding everyone!

Last edited:
At my feeders today and rooting around my small herb patch i have 25 plus Goldfinches and 20+ Linnets ,chaffinches , greenfinches ,pied wagtail and a blackbird .The Great tits will be along later and so will the Robin .I'm so impressed to see the Linnets .I had far smaller groups of them last year .The fich food is definetly a big hit . The Nijer seed feeder is treated with indifferance from the Goldies they seem to prefer the peanut feeder

Belated Merry Christmas Dave and to everyone else!

25 Goldfinches and 20 Linnets Paddy!! Wow, that must be a lovely sight - I can imagine the happy burbling calls of the Goldfinches. :t:

I'm really getting through my wild bird seed mix now that I've moved the tubular seed feeders into the cotoneaster, I'm seeing the level drop a lot day by day and there were about 7 or 8 house sparrows on the feeders and the branches around them plus at least ten more on the ground beneath, hoovering up the spillage. They are proving VERY popular now that I've moved them away from the starlings and into the shrubs where there is more cover.

I'm beginning to wonder if I might be lucky enough at some point in the future to attract Goldcrests or Long-Tailed Tits as when I went for a walk with my brother this morning we saw both only about a 5 minute walk away through the housing estate. I hadn't realised they were quite that close to my home! :bounce:

A few Bullfinches in the garden today, and a lovely male Great Spotted Woodpecker on the peanut feeder. Still lots of Goldfinches about too, but they seem to much prefer the sunflower hearts feeder to the nijer - don't know why, as they're normally clamouring for the nijer! A male Kestrel passed over briefly, lovely to see from the garden.

Hi All

Yesterday I had a flock of linnets (I think), approx 20+. I walked out into the garden and accidentely disturbed them and only witnessed them flying off into a distant tree.
Also had a male GS Woodpecker this morning, first time I have seen it for a month. It showed really well on the suet cake for 10 minutes, and returned again shortly after for another feed.

Boxing day was fantastic as I had a single Goldcrest for the whole morning, even got my brother in law interested, so much so he has now bought a couple of feeders for his garden :)

Plenty of chaffinch and Greenfinch at the moment, Coal tits, Blue Tits and Goldfinch also, Robin population has increased to 3, Dunnocks now 2, Blackbirds 6

Starlings increased again after having rather less numbers over the last few weeks was upto 60+ amonth ago, Collared doves 6, House sparrows 10+

I hope GSW returns on New Years day to get me off to a good 2009 Garden list

Morning all -
home on leave in Pembrokeshire at the moment finding it too cold to venture far so enjoying the birds at the feeders and in my small garden - Great and Blue Tits, Dummock, Starling, Chaffinch's, Blackbirds, Robins, House Sparrows along with the usual Jackdaws, Magpies, feral pigeons and Herring Gulls plus a single Wren and Meadow Pipit make up my daily visitors

HNY everyone
After late night party and stayover in Manchester, I didnt get home until noon so only able to Garden watch on new years day: Noon - 3.45pm
Starling
Rock Dove
Blackbird
B H Gull
Carrion Crow
Blue Tit
House Sparrow
Robin
Greenfinch
Chaffinch
Dunnock
Collared Dove
Goldfinch
Magpie
Goldcrest
Coal Tit
Great Tit

Fairly quiet really, the freezing conditions not helping the birds to venture too far>>>>, was happy to see the Goldcrest for the 5th day running

Dave

Nice! Had a Magpie only a few feet away from my kitchen window yesterday morning, scratching around under my feeder pole. Also found that there are Goldcrests just up the road from my house when I went for a walk... would be rather cool to see one in the garden!

I bought a very cheap camcorder on New Years Eve, just a little Sony hard drive one (a Sony DCR-SR36E), nothing special in terms of image quality but it means I can take some footage of the birds in the garden and out and about, as well as the photographs I've been taking. Have tried a little recording and got some clips of the Robin and Starlings on the feeders, which I've got on youtube at the moment:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kVyWK8RwKBw&feature=channel_page Robin and Starling
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tUlHHwXafcw&feature=channel_page Starling
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jocKiKaYpL8&feature=channel_page Greedy Starlings

if you click on "watch in high quality" under the video then you'll get a clearer view. On the 'Starling' clip at 30 seconds in you can see how the other birds pay attention to Blackbird alarm calls, the Starling looks around for danger as soon as the Blackbird calls.

I've also got a clip of my House Sparrows, which I took using my compact camera aimed through my binoculars!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6JIe-vqFpi4&feature=channel_page

|:D|

Last edited:
Fozzy, how many Starling do you have in the garden at once? I still get upto 60 this is when everything else (except the Greenfinches) go into hiding.

I have just put some small flower pots of seed by the back door this has already attracted the Robins (3) and some of the House Sparrows, that close I bet I could fill my hand with seed and they would come.

Today a garden first, unbelievable I know but a ....Wren!! Well cool!
Also setting a new record as the Goldcrest has been in the Garden for 6 days running, spends a good few hours feeding.

Also seen the WAXWINGS down the road(2 MILES) this morning.........20 brilliant

Dave

Last edited:
The most I've seen is about 20 Starlings, but normally I'll see five to ten at a time.

No Goldcrest in my garden but I saw two more in a garden just a couple of streets away this afternoon, so they're definitely around. Had a go tonight at leaving out my camcorder pointing at some sunflower hearts where I see a mouse but the little chap didn't show on the footage I took. I think I set up too late in the evening though, I tend to see him around a little earlier.

Good show getting a Wren - a real buzz when one appears.

Users who are viewing this thread

• KenM
Back